Round Two with the M&P9C - Page 3

Round Two with the M&P9C

This is a discussion on Round Two with the M&P9C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT Better to have to use sand paper to make a handgun comfortable to shoot than have to keep sending it back ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Better to have to use sand paper to make a handgun comfortable to shoot than have to keep sending it back to the manufacturer to get it reliable...
    from what i've heard and read, glocks have had more than their share of reliability problems. they even once had a recall.

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Quote Originally Posted by dvickery View Post
    from what i've heard and read, glocks have had more than their share of reliability problems. they even once had a recall.

dv
    I don't think anyone wants this to devolve into a "x company sucks" or "S&W vs. whomever" thread.

Back on topic...

My instructor shoots a M&P9 for competition (IPSC, IPDA, and 3-gun) and he carries the chopped one I sent a link to.

The only 'issues' I've known him to have is with the initial trigger feel, which I gather is an issue common to striker-fired guns. He's got it working pretty good now, from what I've felt.
    Still, he carries the thing, so trusts his life with it. Hopefully, yours is just a fluke and any bugs will work out.

I was tempted to get the M&P9 when I decided to go to 9mm, but the Ruger SR9 just called to me.

Bear in mind, I'm functionally insane, and it isn't uncommon for inanimate objects to call to me...and for me to have conversations with them

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Nope... cause I don't want to have to sand my gun to make it comfortable.

Better yet, I don't think anyone should have to sand their gun to make it comfortable.

If Glock decided to turn the light on and understand that we all don't have the same hand and some of us can't comfortably grip a thick grip with wide, deep finger grooves, and made something a little more accommodating for the smaller fingered shooter, I'd be more than happy to get one.
    G30, maybe? It still has finger grooves and the silly thumb indentation, but it's .45 ACP with a thinner grip.
    GLOCK
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Lets revisit one point real quick... Nobody is suggesting the the M&P is a bad gun. Its just S&W tradition to release pistols (polymer in particular) before all the bugs get worked out of them. By now, I'd think the simple issues that have popped up would have been fixed. I know they are in the fullsize version.
    I still wouldnt buy the 40 version in any size, still to many unresolved issues.
    Judging by my compact, the bugs have been worked out. Also, I wouldn't buy a 40 by any manufacturer when the 9mm is just as good when using the right ammo and the 45 is simply better.

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

well my 40 compact is a later version the newer frame and mag release it has 3000 rounds thru it in the very early stages it had 3-4 fail to feeds but nothing now it will eat anything i load into it. my fullsize 40 is the early frame but upgraded mag release and same thing 2-3 fail to feeds but now with 1500 rds down range it is flawless. i have installed the grey followers and it solved the slide lockback trouble i had with the compact it would once in a blue moon lock back with 1 left

I used to think the Glock grip was an abomination….. but after less than 200 rounds through a G19 that viewpoint changed.

I hope the SW turns out to be a great pistol, I personally think competition is great for the end consumer. That said I’m not going to beta test a defensive handgun, I’ll just go with what is proven for now, down the road, after the bugs are out, then maybe the Gen 2 M&P.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Mine never failed or dropped the mag. But based on it's date of test fire, I figured I was in for a mag drop eventually. I pulled the mag catch, and surely enough, it was wearing a bit. I asked S&W for a replacement catch, and was sent one for free.

I also installed a slightly oversize mag catch spring. This was like a 10 minute mod, as I swapped out the catch.

I doubt I'll even see a mag drop. I now have a hardened catch, and a much stiffer spring.

My pistol has fired WWB ball ammo, UMC ball ammo, WWB 147 JHPs, and Gold Dot 124+p JHPs all with zero failures.

I'm a happy 9c owner.

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Mine never failed or dropped the mag. But based on it's date of test fire, I figured I was in for a mag drop eventually. I pulled the mag catch, and surely enough, it was wearing a bit. I asked S&W for a replacement catch, and was sent one for free.

I also installed a slightly oversize mag catch spring. This was like a 10 minute mod, as I swapped out the catch.

I doubt I'll even see a mag drop. I now have a hardened catch, and a much stiffer spring.

My pistol has fired WWB ball ammo, UMC ball ammo, WWB 147 JHPs, and Gold Dot 124+p JHPs all with zero failures.

I'm a happy 9c owner.
    What was your date of test fire and where did you get the oversized, stiffer spring ? Thanks.

Mine was test fired on 10/06.

I picked up a piece of 1/16 inch music wire (hardware store), and replaced the stock spring. The amount of pressure to move the mag catch is notably greater now.

I just tapped out the spring from the top down (with a punch), and drilled out the hole in the grip just a hint (1/16). I roughed up the end of the new wire, and tapped it into place.

Literally like a 10 minute job. No clue why S&W isn't working on this instead of having folks ship their pistols back and forth for a 1 minute mag catch replacement job...

Interesting mod. When I look at my gun I see it appears that there isn't much wall thickness at the spring hole towards the inside of the grip. Did you run into any problems breaking through the thin wall area with the bit ?

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Mine was test fired on 10/06.

I picked up a piece of 1/16 inch music wire (hardware store), and replaced the stock spring. The amount of pressure to move the mag catch is notably greater now.

I just tapped out the spring from the top down (with a punch), and drilled out the hole in the grip just a hint (1/16). I roughed up the end of the new wire, and tapped it into place.

Literally like a 10 minute job. No clue why S&W isn't working on this instead of having folks ship their pistols back and forth for a 1 minute mag catch replacement job...
    I have no clue why S&W released so many defective pistols to the public in the first place. Who knows what they are thinking? Maybe it's easier to let the consumer beta test their new product than to sink extra money into R&D.

I'd worry more about the broken striker problem than the mag catch. Hopefully, you'd have an extra mag and could quickly replace it if the original falls out in a gunfight. You'll never see a broken striker coming, and it would put you out of the fight. Period.

The bottom line is, I don't trust a company that put out so many defective pistols. This says VOLUMES about their pre-release testing and quality control. Every company puts out a few lemons. Not every company has a well deserved reputation for shoddy semiauto pistols across the board. With the WELL KNOWN problems that these M&P's are suffering, I won't be entrusting my life to one.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    G30, maybe? It still has finger grooves and the silly thumb indentation, but it's .45 ACP with a thinner grip.
    GLOCK
    If a regular Glock 19 is uncomfortable I'd be VERY frustrated with the 30!!

It's half again as thick as the others. Even the 36 is uncomfortable.

And I'm not looking for a .45. I wanted to go with a 9mm this time. I was going to stick with the 19 because I don't like the 26 but still couldn't get myself to like the grip. I've shot them, I've played with them. I've held them for hours and I just couldn't get used to it.

Which really stinks because I was pretty sold on the Glock.

Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion. I was playing around with a 30 yesterday and was almost laughing it was so awkward in my hand.

For Lima and 2AMomma,

I took my M&P9c out Wednesday and gave it a workout. I burned 100 rounds of WWB shooting against my Lt. with his Glocks. The WWB is dirtier than other rounds but it ran 100% with no mag drops, no striker fractures, premature slide locks, FTF's or FTE's. I say this to build your confidence in the little gun. The ONLY thing I have ever done to this gun in put a mirror polish on the feedramp and buff out the chamber mouth opening (for possible burrs, sharp edges) with Flitz and a conical felt tip on the Dremel (very light touch). It fed fine before this, I just did it to enhance feeding and as a preventative measure.

Another tip is do a field strip and clean thoroughly, removing all the factory lube from the rails, bearing surfaces, etc. Then...

As a newer gun, mine seems to really like Tetra gun grease. A medium application of Tetra worked in with a cotton swab and dry cycling afterwards seems to really slick the little gun up. Be sure to apply a small amount under the slide at the point that rides up over the barrel hood and at the barrel locking lug where it locks into the locking block in the frame, working it in good and covering the bearing surfaces. Wipe off any small "globs" that might form at the back of the rails, etc. during dry cycling.

Hopefully this helps and you can enjoy your little Smiths. I'm very happy with mine and hopefully Lima, you can get your troubles squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    And I'm not looking for a .45. I wanted to go with a 9mm this time. I was going to stick with the 19 because I don't like the 26 but still couldn't get myself to like the grip. I've shot them, I've played with them. I've held them for hours and I just couldn't get used to it.

Which really stinks because I was pretty sold on the Glock.

Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion. I was playing around with a 30 yesterday and was almost laughing it was so awkward in my hand.
    You try the HK P2000 and P30? Should be much more comfortable.

-john

Here is my S&W incident from a few weeks back. I copy and pasted it from another site I am a member at.....

Damn! I just bought my 1st Smith and Wesson M&P tonight and I am very disapointed to say the least.

It's a 9mm compact. Picked it up from Buckeye Outdoors for $449 with the $50 rebate. I was in a hurry because I was technically at work and had a coworker waiting for me so I didn't look the pistol over like I should have.

Anyways... I just got home from work and broke it all down and was inspecting it when I noticed some major pitting at the end of the slide both inside and out. I don't know how this got past QA but it did and i got it.

I ended up getting it resolved after much haggling with the original gun shop.

Zero issues with the replacement M&P 9c they gave me.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links