smoothing a new trigger

smoothing a new trigger

This is a discussion on smoothing a new trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm just taking posession of the new S&W 340 M&P. I understand that the triggers can be rough on new snubbies. I've read ...

Thread: smoothing a new trigger

smoothing a new trigger

Hey guys,

I'm just taking posession of the new S&W 340 M&P. I understand that the triggers can be rough on new snubbies.

I've read that some people put in some snap caps and dry fire the thing for a thousand rounds or so before ever taking it to the range - just to smooth the trigger out some.

What do you think of this? Will it help? If so, do I need to take it apart and clean up any filings before taking it to the range.

etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated along these lines or any other angle you can think of to help me with break in/lube etc. concerning the new revolver.

Thanks!

MARV

Also what does if mean that the trigger is/should be polished ?

A cheap and effective way of speeding up the smooting of a trigger that doesn't involve a trip to the smith is baby powder.

Load the thing up with baby powder and caps and dry fire away. After a little while load up the baby powder again. The corn starch is harsh enough to smooth out the contact points and any left over slag from the machining process, but not so hard on the parts that you will get premature wear. Just be certain to at least knock the side plate off and hose it out really well with some compressed air or carb/brake cleaner to get the powder out before you carry or shoot it.

Short of dryfire, you can live fire or send it out to a smith and pay for a job.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Also what does if mean that the trigger is/should be polished ?
    A polished trigger could mean a couple of things. One is that it has been jeweled. The pretty swirl marks you find on the bolts of a lot of rifles aren't just for looks. They do knock of burrs and knicks.

The other meaning is that the sear(s) has(have) been stoned to make for consistant contact points. By doing this you acheive a crisp, smooth trigger that will be lighter, sometimes considerably.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Sponsored Links