XD or SIG - Page 2

XD or SIG

This is a discussion on XD or SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why the interest in the switch? If you want to because you love Sig so much go for it- shoot whatever feels more comfortable. If ...

View Poll Results: What Would You Do

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep XD

104 50.49%
  • Get Sig

102 49.51%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XD or SIG

Why the interest in the switch? If you want to because you love Sig so much go for it- shoot whatever feels more comfortable. If you just feel like it is time for something new, and now that XD's are the common thing maybe you want something a little unique... there is no problem with that... but why limit the decision to the XD and Sig?

This was one of the factors that forced me to fall in love with the H&K USP

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The DA-SA transistion is garbage on all guns, don't care what gun it is. That being said, I have yet to shoot the DAK (DAO for the sig). If its a clean trigger pull then that will be my next handgun purchase for sure (SIG p226)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    They are both great firearms. Sigs seem to be a little higher quality, but I would have a hard time carrying one everyday...IMO
    That said I own two 4'' XD's one in 9mm and one in .45acp...
    This has to be your decision, but I voted for the XD
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I am in the exact same boat. I own and carry an XD-45 but want a DA gun for simulators (so I don't have to borrow the beat down ones they have). If I get a DA semi, it's going to be a SIG.

I voted to keep your XD because you will lose money, and if your XD works, there's no reason to get rid of it. That's the conclusion I came to personally. Your mileage may vary.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Well, sometimes you realize there's something about your carry gun that doesn't quite sit right with you, but you can't quite put your finger on the problem. I would say to trade up if that's what you want to do.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

You gotta try the SIG.

VIP Member
    Well, I'll say this. The Secret Service carry Sigs; so does the Diplomatic Security Service, Federal Air Marshall's, Army CID, SEALs (among others, of course), and they are authorized for the DEA and about a million other federal agencies - never mind State and Local. How many issue the XD?

If you can't get over the DA/SA trigger (which you can - tens of thousands of folks do), then get a DAK. There are so many Sig models, makes, finishes, calibers, trigger options, and so on, you can probably find the perfect gun for you in their catalog.

That being said - if you're confident and competent with the XD, what are the compelling reasons for the switch?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If there's an issue over trigger, just get a USP and use whatever trigger variant you like =P

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I want a gun I can carry year round and having the XD on my hip it digs into the hip when I drive my camro and I need something that is easy to conceal with a polo shirt of t-shirt OWB and not print but the xd prints like crazy. I want something that is goin to stand up to everyday abuse and keep on comin back for more.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I want a gun I can carry year round and having the XD on my hip it digs into the hip when I drive my camro and I need something that is easy to conceal with a polo shirt of t-shirt OWB and not print but the xd prints like crazy. I want something that is goin to stand up to everyday abuse and keep on comin back for more.
    If you take care of your gun it is going to take care of you. Of course I'm not a sig fan so if that leads you towards sig, oops .

If you truly want a gun you can use and abuse, and it will still turn around and love you, Glock and XD seem to be the two greatest candidates, rather hands down.

If you are having carry problems you may want to consider switching out that service model for the, relatively, significantly smaller sub-compact XD. However, this would force you to down your caliber to 9mm or .40 S&W. There is a compact .45 but it is larger than the sub-compact 9/40, not sure how the compact .45 would compare to your current XD. Maybe it would still be smaller?

The only concern I personally have with the sub-compact is it is uncomfortable to shoot. The small grip forces my pinky under the magazine, which gets sore after a while. This is easily remedied with an extension magazine (should be included in the sub-compact package) which extends the grip so that this is not a problem. I really like this because it gives you a very small CCW, yet at the same time can easily make it into a comfortable range-gun for tossing lots of lead down-range.

I traded my 45 service in on a compact, best thing i did, very easy to conceal, better then my buddies 239, and being left handed things like safeties i have to take into consideration

kpw
    My own preference would be a 239 DAK. I really like that pistol and I'm not a huge Sig fan.

I own an XD 45 service model as well, and no I dont carry it EDC, in fact I bought it as a HD handgun, even if you went to the compact its still a bit chuncky for what you want out of a pistol, (ultra concealment) So I would suggest you look at some kahrs, Even though I am not a fan of them, they are thin, Now you said you wanted either to keep your xd or get a sig, IF given the choice I would get the sig, ONLY because you want to carry and are not comfortable with your current handgun, IF YOU DONT CARRY IT ITS NOT ANY GOOD. I would also suggest you not trade your XD, but hold on to it, later if you decide you want to keep/stick with the SIG, you wont feel bad for selling/trading the xd, but if your not happy with the SIG what are you going to do? I Voted SIG, they are out of my price range but the few Times I have shot them I told myself I would own one soon, (problem is I have more handguns than cats and I have 6 cats, and wife said I cant get another unless we get another cat, Dont get me wrong I love the cats and all but 6 is just too many, kind of like my wife saying I have too many pistols)

I've fired both - and I REALLY like the way Sig's are constructed.

VIP Member
    I voted for the SIG because I like them better... I'd get a P-220 Carry. But all that really matters is what YOU like?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links