The Grip Circumference Thread

This is a discussion on The Grip Circumference Thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the talk about finding handguns for small hands got me thinking. Well, if mfgs. don't disclose the circumference, why not measure it ourselves? I ...

Thread: The Grip Circumference Thread

All the talk about finding handguns for small hands got me thinking. Well, if mfgs. don't disclose the circumference, why not measure it ourselves?

I know this isn't going to be super accurate, but it might be interesting anyway.

What I was thinking is we would try to measure four things.

1) The point of the grip where it is smallest. Measured perpendicular to the *angle* of the grip.
    2) The point of the grip where it is largest.
    3) The overlap of your finger and thumb.
    4) Comfortable in your hand?

I know everyone's hands are different, so the overlap isn't going to be able to be used as any direct comparisons, but if we get enough data points, it might produce some interesting data. For example, is there any relationship between overlap and comfort?

I'll throw out a few to get us started:

HK P2000 SK
    1) 5 1/2"
    2) 5 5/8"
    3) 1"
    4) yes

Sig P239 9mm
    1) 5 1/8"
    2) 5 3/8"
    3) 1"
    4) yes

Beretta 92FS
    1) 5 5/8"
    2) 6"
    3) 7/8"
    4) yes

-john

I'm thinking if #4 is a yes then that's all the measurement you need.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Throwing in something as highly subjective as grip comfort into a bunch of measurements is kinda hinky. It doesn't matter one bit what 1 through 2 are, if number 4 is (very likely) the ultimate deciding factor.

As you've hinted at,Number 3 is a bit out there as well, as it's going to be unlikely that people will have the same overlap...everyone's body is different.

I like the general idea of the measurements, to give people an idea of where to start looking.

-JT

I've had a subscription to these guys for awhile:

Gun tests the consumer resource for the serious shooter.

Their tests often include grip circumference. After you subscribe and receive your first issue, you can register online and login to search their archives. While it didn't help us find the gun my wife ultimately ended up using... it did help us immediately eliminate many.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Perhaps the subjective information won't tell us anything. I don't know. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to gather it.

But we do know there are people out there that are having trouble finding handguns that they feel fit.

For example, check out 2AMomma's thread, This is for the Ladies. She likes the fit of the M&P 9C but is worried about the reliability. Seems it would be great to know the measurements on the 9C as well as some others.

It would also be interesting to find out if the 'fit' is really significantly related to circumference at all. I'm kinda of guessing it has less to do with it than normally assumed.

-john

Not only circumference, but grip shape also. I'll take the same distance around in an oval shape over matching measurements from a rectangular Glock anyday.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks bzdog! I would love to have this info, at least 1 and 2...

Shape seems to be a big factor for me. I LOVE the reliability of the Glock, but the grip from "top of the grip" to the middle of the trigger is the measurement I need. If the Glock is seated properly in my hand, my finger can get to the trigger but not to the trigger safety - does that make sense? But on the M&P(with the small backstrap), I can reach everything just fine. I think the grip on the M&P is "cut-in" more at the top...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I'm thinking if #4 is a yes then that's all the measurement you need.
    True. I'm a good example, I'd been shooting a glock (not frequently but...) for 7 years, since I was 13, picked up an XD and shot the thing better on my first try. Proving comfort can overcome seemingly more important factors like experience (with a particular weapon).

What would be better, and probably a very helpful resource- is simply compile a list of what people find comfortable via their hand size. It would be very subjective, but if 10 people tell you they have small hands and found X to be comfortable but found Y to be not so- a list compiled on such responses could prove to be a very helpful starting point for new shooters.

Sponsored Links