Entry Level 1911

Entry Level 1911

This is a discussion on Entry Level 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What manufacturer's might y'all recommend for an entry level 1911 in .45acp? I have heard Taurus and Springfield-Armory in one local store, and the next ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry Level 1911

Entry Level 1911

What manufacturer's might y'all recommend for an entry level 1911 in .45acp? I have heard Taurus and Springfield-Armory in one local store, and the next store down the road bad mouthed them and suggested Kimber or Para. I'm just looking for a starting point as I consider adding a 1911 to my list.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    What kind of money do you want to drop? Kimber are great guns but pricey. Tauras start at 700 range.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Without knowing anything more; I'd recommend any Springfield Armory LOADED model. I'd recommend you skip their GI series or their Mil-Spec. The Loaded versions have a nice mix of features at a good price. I personally have the Mil-Spec and bought it as my "entry" level but now wish I have a few of the features of the loaded. The Taurus is "ok" but in my opinion it just doesn't quite look right. It's a good price but I don't think its in the same league as the SA.

Search the many forums for sale areas and you will be amazed at the deals you can come across if your quick with the mouse!! Get a better brand used!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a 1911 for 1911s sake you could easily get a Rock Island Arms or a Taurus for much less than you would pay for a lot of the other 1911s.

Springfield would be high on my "entry level" 1911 list as would Para. I wouldn't necessarily call Kimber "entry level" but that's me.

Taurus PT1911...good bang for the buck..pardon the pun in the 1911 family
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Are you looking for a Cadillac (Kimber and Para) or the Chevy (Tauras & SA) ... All will get you where you want to go.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

If by 'entry level' you also mean 'inexpensive', I'd recommend a Rock Island Armory Tactical. You should be able to find one NIB for around $400 -$500. It will have goodies like Novak-style sites, Commander-style hammer, beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safeties, as well as some maybe-goodies (depending on your preference), like a full-length guide rod.

From what I've heard, their customer service is insanely good. The guns are actually made by Armscor, based in the Philippines, but the customer service in the US is handled out of Nevada. A couple (or more) of their representatives are frequent posters on the m1911.org forum.

I've used an Armscor 1911 before (borrowed) for IDPA, and I was very happy with the gun. The ONLY reason I didn't get a RIA Tactical when I recently went gun shopping is that I can't friggin' afford to shoot .45ACP.

-JT

Norinco Norinco Norinco.

If you can find one, of course! Cant beat the price and they may be the best thing to come from PRC

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Norinco Norinco Norinco.

If you can find one, of course! Cant beat the price and they may be the best thing to come from PRC
    Yeah, okay...but good luck finding something that can no longer be imported!

-JT

Lead Moderator
    I think it all depends on how much you care to spend. Rock Island seem to be decent lower priced pistols, Springfield Armory makes a bare bones GI and Mil spec models or Taurus . SA also makes higher priced "loaded" models , on par with Kimber pistols.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Question

Just traded a perfectly reliable RIA GI for a tactical version. Old eyes couldn't see sights! Will post range report Wed or Thur. It's tight in all the right places and has as crisp a trigger as my Colt Commander. We'll see???

I love my Smith and Wesson 1911. Certainly give them a look!

I can't figure out why "entry level" has to mean "cheap"? I'd much rather advise a new shooter to save a little longer and step up a little, at least to a platform that is worth building on later.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Without knowing anything more; I'd recommend any Springfield Armory LOADED model. I'd recommend you skip their GI series or their Mil-Spec. The Loaded versions have a nice mix of features at a good price. I personally have the Mil-Spec and bought it as my "entry" level but now wish I have a few of the features of the loaded. The Taurus is "ok" but in my opinion it just doesn't quite look right. It's a good price but I don't think its in the same league as the SA.
    Obviously, there are differing versions of what "entry level" means expressed here - which is fine of course. I for one have the Springfield GI-45 that I got a few years back - it's as bare bones as they come, but it is also dead-on accurate, utterly reliable, and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. I think I may have actually used the term "entry level" myself when I was looking around for mine. The GI-45 certainly fit the bill for me, and so long as you are just looking for a 1911 to use at the range, I don't think you can go wrong with it. Of course, if you do happen to use it in self-defense, it'll still "stop the threat" just as well as any other .45...

Having said that, I don't carry it (except around the house), and I'll be getting other guns for carry purposes just as soon as I get the $$$. But for an "entry level" gun, I don't see how you could do any better.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links