Ruger SR9

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking of getting the new ruger upon return from the sandbox, reports look good and the wife said yes (after much begging) so does anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9

Ruger SR9

Thinking of getting the new ruger upon return from the sandbox, reports look good and the wife said yes (after much begging) so does anyone have range reports or opinions on it before i buy? thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

I don't have one of these but I want one and have read a number of range reports. You can find lots of info re the SR9 over on the ruger forum. In brief, early models, manufactured prior to about Dec. 15, had a problem with the magazine which could be corrected by some filing at the top of the magazine. I think there was also something about the magazine release button wanting to stay depressed after having been depressed. Those problems have been addressed. Some owners have reported slight peening after about 200 rounds but that appears to be rare. Others have reported thousands of rounds with no visible peening. My impression is that all bugs have been worked out.

Personally, I feel anyone looking for a polymer semi auto should take a long look at the SR9. It's very slim and has rounded contours, so was apparently designed with concealed carry in mind. The grip feel is supposed to be very similar to a 1911 and there is a manual safety in the same spot as on the 1911.

I was looking at the SR and the S&W M&P but was turned off the mp by the magazine drop problem plus the looseness of the magazine while in the gun. Another obvious player would be some of the glocks but I've never liked the grip angle or the wierd (to me) glock trigger safety.

Bought mine at the end of February. My SR9 serial number range is 16xxx, but I've heard those in the high 14xxx range also have the new mag catch and magazine design that eliminates the overly stiff mag springs and shaved FMJ bullet tips. I didn't need the included mag loader at all with mine...loaded both mags to 17 rounds with just my own mitts.

I was used to a 1911 trigger, so any striker-fired trigger is going to be goofy for me. Trigger pull has a lot more take up than I'm used to. It's a bit heavy (don't have a gauge...anyone wanna donate?...but it's plenty heavy). However, the break on mine is fairly crisp, and the reset...while a bit long...is nice and positive, as compared to some spongier resets I've felt on other striker-fired guns.

Magazine disconnect is a useless feature for me, but it comes out in about a minute with no tools other than a paperclip. It shoots far better than I could...I'm blaming it on not being used to a striker-fired gun.

Yeah...that's the ticket...

Great value for the money. Loads of rounds in a VERY slim package. I'll be using it for IDPA as well as my primary (okay...ONLY) carry gun.

-JT

Administrator
    I was kinda excited about the SR9 until I tried one... it felt cheap in hand but it did perform well enough.

I hope Ruger does well, its a step in the right direction.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I finely held one, slimmer than my Glock 23.
    But as SIXTO, it felt cheap and the prices at the West Palm Beach
    gun show this past weekend was a little high 550.00
    I can buy glocks all day long for that!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

To me, ALL polymer-plastic framed guns feel cheap, coming off an all steel gun like your typical 1911's. Having a full mag in the grip helps take away some of that feel to me. The top heaviness of the steel slide on the plastic frame is a different feel, and to me, contributes to the 'cheapness' of the hand feel. Just my opinion.

Unless they were selling the initial run SR9 with the CRKT knife, that dealer was severely gouging you. That's higher than MSRP. I've seen them as low as $399. Bad dealer! Bad!

-JT

It's a Kahr, isn't it? Kahr with a Ruger logo on it? Not hearing good things from initial range evals so far.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    To me, ALL polymer-plastic framed guns feel cheap, coming off an all steel gun like your typical 1911's. Having a full mag in the grip helps take away some of that feel to me. The top heaviness of the steel slide on the plastic frame is a different feel, and to me, contributes to the 'cheapness' of the hand feel. Just my opinion.

Unless they were selling the initial run SR9 with the CRKT knife, that dealer was severely gouging you. That's higher than MSRP. I've seen them as low as $399. Bad dealer! Bad!

-JT
    It was like that with every vender, I left with all the money I took with me.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    It was like that with every vender, I left with all the money I took with me.
    Ugh. They were ALL ripping the folks off, then. As happy as I am with mine, I'd never recommend it at that price. The first run guns with the knife were going cheaper than that. MSRP on the 'plain' stainless version is $525. The blackened slide and OD green frame version are only about $40, MSRP. Sounds like dealers are trying to take advantage of the folks with deep pockets in W.P.B.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    It's a Kahr, isn't it? Kahr with a Ruger logo on it? Not hearing good things from initial range evals so far.
    Huh? What makes you think someone like Ruger would have another company manufacture a gun for them?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet or hear at the shop/range.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelKangaroo View Post
    Huh? What makes you think someone like Ruger would have another company manufacture a gun for them?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet or hear at the shop/range.
    They do have some similar design features, thats about it. I'd be shocked if Ruger has Kahr making anything for them.

The cheapness I was talking about is the polymer... I know nothing about the chemistry or engineering behind it but Ruger poly just feels substandard compared to the big dogs in polymer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The cheapness I was talking about is the polymer... I know nothing about the chemistry or engineering behind it but Ruger poly just feels substandard compared to the big dogs in polymer.
    Not sure if it would make a difference, but technically, the Ruger frame is 'glass filled nylon'. I'm not sure how different of a plastic that is than other polymer-framed guns.

-JT

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Not sure if it would make a difference, but technically, the Ruger frame is 'glass filled nylon'. I'm not sure how different of a plastic that is than other polymer-framed guns.

-JT
    That might be why... I told you I didnt know anything about plastic!
    "Just blame Sixto"

No, this was in a gun mag (a MUCH more reliable source--ha!). I'd swear it was some kind of joint venture, like the SW99/P99 thing. Heck, I've been wrong before!

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Does the National Inquirer have its own gun mag?

I think there was some speculation that the LCP was made by Kel-Tec, but someone from within Kel-Tec proved that to be incorrect in some other forum.

The SR9 trigger seems to be VERY similar to a Glock trigger system. From what I hear, the 25-cent trigger job for Glocks works on the SR9, as will some of the spring replacements.

-JT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links