Kahr PM40 and PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr PM40 and PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering a KAhr Pm40 or PM9. Heard and read some bad reviews on them but wondring if they have gotten better since the earlier versions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM40 and PM9

Kahr PM40 and PM9

Considering a KAhr Pm40 or PM9. Heard and read some bad reviews on them but wondring if they have gotten better since the earlier versions or are they still problematic? I'm still looking for a pocket carried pistol and am still considering the Ruger LCP. Appreciate any a thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I believe that all those reviews are out of date. I hemmed and hawwed about purchasing one for a year before I decided I'd try one anyways.

I'm quite happy with my PM9, SN# VD06XX, born on/about Aug 07.
    Last edited by Wrascal; March 12th, 2008 at 08:54 AM.

i too read the mixed reviews, and i DID have issues with my PM9 at first ... that is until i figured out what i was doing wrong. that's right, it was ME who was wrong, not the gun.

remember, the loading sequence should be:
    - lock the slide to the rear
    - insert loaded magazine
    - release slide using slide release
    OPTION - eject magazine and top off

i had issues when trying to slingshot the slide from slide lock, and i had issues when trying to rack the first round in by hand. once i figured out the loading sequence, i haven't had any issues since (knock on wood).

I've had my PM9 for 3 years now and I'm very happy with it.
    Like others have said; chamber the first round with the slide locked back. Never any trouble with mine.

I don't consider myself to be very recoil sensitive, but I am glad I recently purchased the PM9. I would describe the recoil from the PM9 as fairly stout, but controllable. I probably could handle the PM40, but follow up shots would be slower and the increased recoil could cause some to not practice as much, not that I would classify the PM9 as a recreational shooter either.

The only reason I would say to get the PM40 is if you are getting free ammo from work in that caliber only.

Good luck on your choice.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I'm happy with my PM40.

Perceived recoil is a little stout, but manageable. You'll probably never put more than one box of ammo through it in a single outing.

The short sight radius means you have to CONCENTRATE on your aiming a bit more.

Just remember: the more unpleasant the shot is on YOUR end, the more unpleasant it is on the OTHER end.

.380s shoot nice and soft.....but have a similar effect downrange, in comparison.

That being said, if it's a choice between the LCP in your pocket, or the PM40 in your glove compartment......go with the LCP, because the maximum effective range of the gun you don't have with you is ZERO meters.

Administrator
    I've had my PM9 since they first came out. I've had no problems at all.
    Keep in mind that Kahrs are not a good choice for a new shooter, and a lot of the bad reports came from them.

I like the 9 better than the 40, but thats just a personal opinion.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've shot a PM40 and it was a nasty little stinker to hang onto. I have small hands and didn't find ir very easy to control. Although it was reliable it was not something I would have practiced with so I passed it up. I would feel more confident with the 9. I personally have my eyes peeled for a good deal on an MK9. Try to get a test fire if you can. If the 40 works for you go with it.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

For Pocket carry, PM-9 heavier than the Kel-Tec 9s, but smaller and flatter. In a jeans pocket with an Uncle Mike, it's fine but flops a bit. In dress pants, it rides a little higher; less movement. In 6-pocket side pocket, has a tendency to flip upside down and bang on leg when running. Anyone considering pocket carry is not looking for a fast draw, so I'll mention it also works extremely well in the small holster t-shirt, but vertical carry that high is a draw requiring practice. (PM9's too heavy for neck chain carry, though.)

watch the spring position after cleaning. there is a right way and a wrong way to replace the recoil spring. use the wrong way, the gun will jam (slide not return to battery) after firing. safe the weapon, strip it, reverse the spring, and everything works again

I love my PM9, even after I had issues with it. The recoil assembly had problems with a bad spring and Kahr replaced all of it and did a real nice tune up on the gun. I carry IWB as I feel its a big large for pocket carry unless in a coat. My only complaint other then the bad spring was it was a little ammo picky during break-in but it resolved on its own before the spring issue started.

I did not go with PM40 because I felt the recoil would be a bit harsh for my wife, even with the 9mm it can hit a bit hard after a while but no worse then my glock 27. We both find the recoil very manageable and follow-up shots come faster with practice.

I've never had an issue with my PM-9. Has fired everything I've stuffed in it and never missed a lick. Very accurate for a gun this size. Compared to a Kel-Tec PF-9 (have one of those also), it is only 1 oz. heavier when you add in the weights of the empty magazines but the Kel-Tec holds 1 more round with the standard magazine. As for quality of fit and finish, the Kel-Tec isn't even in the same league as the Kahr. But, the Kel-Tec is considerably less expensive. I pocket carried my PM-9 every day for two months and it was no problem at all. It's not my preferred method of carry but during that time, it was the only method that would work for me. I will say one thing about pocket carry. When your spidey sense starts tingling, it's much easier to put yourself into a prevention mode and get your hand on your gun without alarming anyone around you. Had one day with a shady looking character in the store and I had my PM-9 in hand, partially out of the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and no one ever knew.

While no one can guarantee that any pistol you purchase from a Sig to a Jennings will be problem free, I think the Kahr will serve you well and given the choice between 9mm & 380, I pick 9mm. I'll be heading to the range in a few minutes with my new LCP and hopefully will have a range report posted later tonight. The perfect situation is to have the Kahr and the LCP. Carry the 9 whenever possible, but if the 380 is the only choice, it's much better than a sharp stick.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Keep in mind that Kahrs are not a good choice for a new shooter, and a lot of the bad reports came from them.
    What about them make them not for new shooters?
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

Have had my PM9 for 2 1/2 years and no problems with over 900 rounds through the pistol.

What is the price range for the PM9 or 40? And, is the PM 9 or 40 small enough for pocket carry everyday. I have yet to find one to hold and examine, so i need some guideance before I continue the relentless pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    What is the price range for the PM9 or 40?
    Check out prices at Bud's Gun Shop. That should give you a fair idea of what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    And, is the PM 9 or 40 small enough for pocket carry everyday.
    Check my post above (post #11) for my experience.

Hoss
    Last edited by cvhoss; March 13th, 2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links