Glock 27 -OR- Para Ordinance WartHog?

This is a discussion on Glock 27 -OR- Para Ordinance WartHog? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im about to make the investiment into a CC Pistol. I previously carried the Cobra Patriot .45, which is categoried as the 'Poor Mans Glock". ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 -OR- Para Ordinance WartHog?

Glock 27 -OR- Para Ordinance WartHog?

Im about to make the investiment into a CC Pistol. I previously carried the Cobra Patriot .45, which is categoried as the 'Poor Mans Glock". I like the lightweight, big caliber, safteyless guns.

Would you invest into the Glock 27 with a lasermax internal laser system -or- The Para-Ordinance WartHog?

I find both pistols comfortable & Both guns seem to have grat reviews. Im leaning more towards the wartHog because the Glock is too popular for my liking.

I would like to hear from Glock & WartHog owners

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Gunner,

Welcome to the board man. There are some excellent people around.

Now...as far as your question goes, the best way to answer it is to find a range near you and go rent both of the guns, or at least as close to them as you can get.

Just so you're aware, I was at the range last week and was speaking to a guy who'd just had a 'smith put a Lasermax into his Glock. The pistol, which was as relialbe as can be prior to the install was not working after the install was complete. If you're going to go the laser in a glock route, I'd go to Crimson Trace and get one of their models for a Glock.

I'd also like to throw out the idea of looking at the Springfield XD. They're right around the same price as the Glock and for some people point more naturally.

Hope all this helps man.

--Jim

P.S. - You can also look at the HK pistols with a LEM trigger system, the S&W or Walther P99 style pistols, and the Sig DAK trigger system, all of which have no external safeties, and have constant trigger pulls.

P.P.S. - I own and shoot an HK USPc V1 in .40 and a Ruger 22/45 Mrk III (.22LR)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Get the Glock and forget the laser. The lasers are fragile and if you want a pistol that is dependable the Glock is you gun. I'd get the G23 though if I were you. The extra length is not an issue with strong side carry.

Thankx for all of the good input.

I was reading another topic where somebody mentioned that the trigger is extremly sensative on the glock, and people have accidently shot themselve in the leg - when the gun was holstered... Its starting to pull me away from Glock, because I leave my firearm in the car (locked glovebox) chambered & the last thing that I want is something to bump the trigger.

Ive also been reading good things about KAHR PM40. Looks are not everyting, but if im going to spend that much I want something sleek & I find glock and para-ordinance more attractive

Sounds like you had you mind made up. A Glock is not any more unsafe than any other pistol. It's the idiot behind the trigger that shoots himself, not the gun. You do need to keep the trigger area covered or the gun in conditon 3, but that's a good idea with any gun.

Thumbs down ParaOrd P10

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    Im about to make the investiment into a CC Pistol. I previously carried the Cobra Patriot .45, which is categoried as the 'Poor Mans Glock". I like the lightweight, big caliber, safteyless guns.

Would you invest into the Glock 27 with a lasermax internal laser system -or- The Para-Ordinance WartHog?

I find both pistols comfortable & Both guns seem to have grat reviews. Im leaning more towards the wartHog because the Glock is too popular for my liking.

I would like to hear from Glock & WartHog owners
    Having owned both the P10 and the Glock M30 and a Glock M27, I can only say the P10 is a POS. Feels like a 2x4 in the hand, it's heavy and IMHO very unreliable. Remember the "Warthog" is nothing more than a gussied up P10. Mine had nothing but FTF's and FTE's from the first shot. Glocks OTOH are in the upper limits of their class. Best of the best if you will. I speak as a certified firearms instructor for many years (decades? Sheeesh) and a former LEO and US Army officer. Anyway, I'm of the opinion that any sub 4 inch barrel 1911 is inherently flawed in the design. I'm about to purchase a PO TAC-4 LDA (13+1) but that has a Commander length slide and my Commander 1911 has never given me any troubles. There is a good writeup in this months GUNS magazine on the new PO COLONEL LDA (14+1) and to my mind, the best recommendation on any carry gun is 100% relability first and good combat accuracy next. Combat accuracy doesn't necessarily mean match grade accuracy!

Have you considered the Sig Sauer P245 in 45ACP? I have one and it's my primary carry piece. Then comes the Glock M27 (40) and lastly will come the new TAC-4 when I get it. I primarily want it for high stress carry situations and LONG trips. I'll be getting three sp mags (along with what it comes with) as well. There is just something comforting about having 14 rd of 230 gr to launch right now & 13 more back up.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have no experience with the Wart Hog, However I do have a Glock 27. It is very reliable and conceals very easy. I would also advise you to leave the laser off the 27. If you have an AD with almost any firearm in good mechanical condition, it is your fault and not the guns.
    As firefighter4884 said take a look at the Springfield XD. Another reason to look at the Springfield XD is that it also has a grip safety, if you are worried about an AD. Your best bet is to go to a range that rents guns and try them out. That is the only way to find out what works for you.

I have had a Glock 27 for three years. I have never had a malfunction of any kind. And I've tried !!! Excellent carry piece. I use a Max Con V. Very comfortable and easy to conceal with.

I do have a Para P-12-45 that I've been trying to get reliable. Still having problems with it. I like the gun, but it still hasn't been able to replace the Glock..

Administrator

Thoughtful Additions

If you are concerned about the Glock pistol trigger when putting your firearm in the Glove or under the car seat you can always just spend $20.00 ($10.00 on Ebay) for a cheapo Fobus or Unc. Mikes holster & just use it to stash your firearm holstered & with the trigger covered.
    OR...buy a Saf~T~Blok little molded plastic insert that slips in behind the trigger. Either will work fine.
    That problem is solved.

I have carried both....

My Para Warthog has given exemplery service. No FTF, FTE, etc. I have shot about 500 rounds of FMJ and hollow point.

I carried it for a couple of months. I went back to the Glock 27 because I couldn't get used to the manual safety. I appreciate the Glock's point and click interface. I also appreciate the fact that I can, if forced, slip the Glock into my front pocket. I wouldn't advise doing this, but occasionally I have done it. If you drop a 1911 in your pocket, the safety could easily get flipped off...

I have heard the Glock safety described as putting the brake on top of the accelerator. However, I have carried a G-26 or G-27 for about 5 years and have had no problems. The trick is keeping your finger off the trigger! The Glock 27 is the only Glock I own.

This link will take you to a write up about the Warthog. Sigforum Discussion on Para Warthog

Question Pocket 1911

Quote Originally Posted by joerapture
    I also appreciate the fact that I can, if forced, slip the Glock into my front pocket. I wouldn't advise doing this, but occasionally I have done it. If you drop a 1911 in your pocket, the safety could easily get flipped off...
    But then you'd STILL have the grip safety and as long as you keep your finger off the trigger, you're okay. However, I don't have a pocket BIG enough to put a 1911 (not even a compact P10) nor a belt strong enough to keep my pants up in such a case! However, I too, have put my Glock M27 in a pocket, and have often carried it in the pocket of a winter coat....which is not very often when I'm home here in Miami, FL!

We're still getting bands from Rita, but thank God, no loss of power. But I got a day off from work! YEA! No school.

Joe, can you explain your screenname? There is a thread here for that. I have a hunch, just wanna see if I'm correct.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I am a Warthog fan as well. This is my daily carry piece and it have been a great gun. 11 rounds of .45 is hard to beat in a package this small. If you would like to read my review of the Warthog go to http://www.vcdl.org/defender/Vol8Issue2.pdf
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Question for the WartHog owners :

How durable are they as-far-as everyday wear and tear (Do they show signs of age/abuse) I'm asking because we've all heard stories of Glocks droped in dirt - or glocks being tossed acroos the room. Most of them dont show singns of age for years..

General question:

I didnt want to start a new topic -- .45 GAP is a shorter bullet, but how does it compare to .45 ACP or .40 as-far-as velocity & stopping power?

Im asking because I just noticed the glock 39. Ive always been a fan of .45 caliber, but I was once told that .40 cal has more stopping power than .45, .40 is technology in a bullet because its a .45 & .357 all in one.

-Dont know if whats I was told is true, because some people will say anything to sell firearms

-Dont know if whats I was told is true, because some people will say anything to sell firearms
    BINGO!!!

Stopping power is in placement and repeatability only. There is no magic bullet.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Wrong. A 120mm tank main-gun round, in either Sabot or HEAT flavors, will pretty much one-shot-stop anything on earth. I realize most don't have access to a Rheinmetall M256 cannon and they're a PITA to carry IWB, but...

BINGO!!!

Stopping power is in placement and repeatability only. There is no magic bullet.
    As a side note, since dhomoney posted his link to VCDL in this thread, I've used information on the site to answer a question from a CCW holder on another forum, TFL, who wants to carry on a university campus. Post pasted below:

From the Virginia Citizen's Defense League website:

A lawsuit filed and then dropped against James Madison University regarding individual gun rights cost the school more than $10,000.
    According to JMU director of communication Andy Perrine, the state and the school spent a combined $10,200 defending itself against the suit filed by David Briggman.
    Briggman sued the school over its concealed-weapons policy and what he called inconsistencies with state law. Briggman eventually dropped the suit after he said he was advised by JMU's chief of public safety that campus police do not have legal authority to enforce the policy.
    The case has gained renewed interest after a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for carrying a concealed weapon to class.
    So the campus police can't enforce the ban because it isn't "illegal"... but the school can punish you academically/ administratively.

As a side note the VCDL seems to be a very informative and effective organization. I encourage residents of VA to investigate a membership... only $15 for one year seems a good deal.
    Just thought I'd let you know.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links