Ruger LCP & Sig 239 Range Report

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP & Sig 239 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Made it to the range today and got the first rounds out of my LCP and some more rounds out of the Sig 239 SAS ...

Thread: Ruger LCP & Sig 239 Range Report

Ruger LCP & Sig 239 Range Report

Made it to the range today and got the first rounds out of my LCP and some more rounds out of the Sig 239 SAS DAK.

First, for the one I'm sure most are interested in -- the Ruger LCP. First, let me say that out of the box, this was the dirtiest, grimiest firearm I've ever purchased. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure this gun wasn't cleaned after machining. In wiping off the grease and gunk from inside the slide, there are tiny little metal flakes on the patch I used to clean it with. It's been a long time since I purchased a Ruger pistol, but I'm surprised at the filthy condition in which they let it get out of the factory. Never the less, once cleaned up, it had crisp machine lines and everything fit together tight and smoothly. It tears down just like a P3AT. Push the slide back a little and pry the retaining pin out. On to the range.

I went to the range with two purposes for this pistol -- test for accuracy and test with multiple brands of ammunition for function. The magazine holds 6 rounds so I fired two mags each of:
    CCI Blazer Brass FMJ
    Winchester White Box FMJ
    Magtech FMJ
    Remington Golden Saber (actual carry ammo)
    This gave me 48 rounds down range plus 12 more that a friend of mine shot through it for a total of 60 rounds fired today. Quite frankly, like my P3AT, the 48 rounds I fired were all I wanted in one setting as I don't find either of them particularly pleasant to shoot.

And the final result -- absolutely no hiccups at all. Ate everything and spit it out. No FTF, no FTE, nothing. Worked just like it was supposed to. Other than cleaning it, I did nothing to this pistol before heading to the range. I didn't want to do any "fluff and buff" as I wanted a true "out of the box" test. And, based on the results, I see no need to do anything to it other than shoot it although it would benefit from a dab of contrasting paint on the front sight. While the sights are the "barely there" type, they are usable, but black on black sights on a black target make using them tough.

Accuracy testing was done from a solid rest so I could see how good the gun was and not how bad I was. Range was 7 yards which I felt was a decent distance for self defense purposes. Again, this isn't a target gun. Scans of the targets are below:

Winchester White Box FMJ

MagTech FMJ

CCI Blazer Brass

Remington Golden Saber

Now for the Sig 239 SAS DAK. Mostly pretty boring stuff. This is truly a precision piece of machinery just like you would expect from Sig. I had actually had this gun to the range before and fired a couple hundred rounds out of it as I wanted to confirm function for use as my EDC. It preformed flawlessly and digested a variety of different ammunition including: Winchester White Box FMJ, MagTech FMJ, CCI Blazer Brass FMJ, CCI Blazer Aluminum FMJ, Regington Golden Saber, & Federal Premium Self Defense Hydra-Shok. I really have to say that I love this DAK trigger more each time I send a round down range. I've always preferred a single action trigger for target shooting, but I do like the DA for a carry gun. This trigger, IMHO, is pretty close to incredible. When I had been at the range before with this pistol, the pistol range was under renovation and the benches weren't available so while I did some target shooting and knew it was very accurate, I couldn't test just the gun and not me.
    Today, since I was already set up for accuracy testing at the 7 yard range, I fired two 7 round magazines for accuracy at that distance. When I was finished with the second mag, I was pretty happy.

Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK -- 7 yards -- 14 rounds

If anyone has any questions about either pistol, ask away and I'll try and give you an answer.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thank you for the range report. I'm planning on buying the Ruger; already have the Sig, so any info on the Ruger is valuable and appreciated.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK -- 7 yards -- 14 rounds

If anyone has any questions about either pistol, ask away and I'll try and give you an answer.

Hoss
    You are a little low and to the left. Looks like you need more range time with this gun.

Thanks for the report. I think I will double check the Ruger before I take it home. Make sure it is clean.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I just put 50 bucks down on the next batch of Rugers that come in.....I want a true pocket gun!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

HKR
    So what are the Rugers selling for? I haven't seen one locally and no dealer has been able to quote me a price.

I paid 299....but I have heard of people getting them for 279. Whats 20 bucks, 5 gallons of gas. I am not waiting!!!

I just seen one on Gunbroker for 399....Insane!!!! Crook!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

$299 here also, but I honestly feel that the only reason I got it for that price was because I buy so many guns from this dealer. He said he had at least 15-20 guys on a list for this one if I didn't want it. Until these start showing up in the market in greater numbers, I'd expect to pay close to MSRP ($330.00).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

HKR
    $299 sounds resonable since the Keltecs around here are $260-$280 new. Thanks for the range report. Sometimes I think guns just slip out of the factory without getting a final cleaning. A few years ago I bought a S&W .40 4003Tact and was there when the dealer opened the box. It was so dirty that he offered to send it back. After a good cleaning it ran fine.

How was the ruger's trigger compared to the keltec's?

Thanks for the report cvhoss. The LCP does look like a sweet little gun!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Nice trip to the range. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    In all fairness, I don't see a lot of difference. Both are heavy. The Ruger is a little smoother throughout the pull but if I blindfolded you, you'd have a tough time telling which was which.

A couple of things I had forgotten to mention before.
    1. It takes very little pressure on the end of the slide to disable this firearm. The P3AT is the same in function, but takes a bit more pressure. In other words, if you were in actual physical contact with an assailant fighting for your life and pulled one of these pistols, don't let it make contact with them on the muzzle end or it won't go bang.
    2. The LCP magazine is much smoother to insert. On the P3AT, it hangs so much on the mag catch, that I have gotten in the habit of depressing the mag release to insert the magazine. With the LCP, the mag catch appears to be beveled more where it first contacts the magazine and the magazine slides in smoothly with very little resistance.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info. Both of those guns are HIGH on my list to purchase............good thread. Thanks again.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I'd also like to know that

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I'd also like to know that
    See post #12 above.

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links