CA-approved Glocks vs "regular" Glocks...

This is a discussion on CA-approved Glocks vs "regular" Glocks... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any difference between a Glock 19 sold in, say Mississippi, and one sold in CA? Other than the CA gun coming with 10 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA-approved Glocks vs "regular" Glocks...

Is there any difference between a Glock 19 sold in, say Mississippi, and one sold in CA? Other than the CA gun coming with 10 round mags I mean? Basically, if I have 15 round mags already, could I buy a CA-approved Glock 19 and use my 15 round mags with it? Presuming it is legal for me to have those 15 round mags to begin with, which it is here in MS.

Just curious...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Don't quote me but I think the CA guns have to have a Magazine saftey and external locking device
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

There is no difference other than the ten-round magazines that are included with those sold in California (and a fw other states).

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSix9ine View Post
    Don't quote me but I think the CA guns have to have a Magazine saftey and external locking device
    Not until 2009 if the info I read is right.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Quote Originally Posted by strider72 View Post
    Not until 2009 if the info I read is right.
    Would that prevent me from using larger magazines?
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    No large magazines, unless something has changed since I last read CA law. There is a perma ban on all magazines over 10 rounds.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Go to California Dept. of Justice website...

If you go to the CA Dept. of Justice website and look under firearm frequently asked questions:

CA DOJ website FAQ

you will see this information regarding high capacity magazines in CA:

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?
    No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))
    Note especially that "possession" of said magazines is not listed in the phrase "illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend".
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I wouldn't buy it unless it was a good deal because you get stuck with 2 10 round mags. The magazine safety won't stop you from using high cap mags (if it has one, I don't think so), but it is another piece that could potentially break on you.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

The only diff is the magazines. I live here and have one
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Okay they say you can possess a high cap if you had it before Jan 1 2000,only problem is #1 proving that,and #2 there was a ban n civilians buying high caps that weren't already in circulation from 1994 to 2004 if i remember right.So if you live in California and you get caught with a high cap you gotta prove you possessed it before Jan 1 2000

Not quite...

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Okay they say you can possess a high cap if you had it before Jan 1 2000,only problem is #1 proving that,and #2 there was a ban n civilians buying high caps that weren't already in circulation from 1994 to 2004 if i remember right.So if you live in California and you get caught with a high cap you gotta prove you possessed it before Jan 1 2000
    If you are accused of a crime, it is the responsibility of the prosecutor to prove that you are guilty. The defendant does not have to prove anything, and can remain silent. Once again, possession of the magazine is not illegal in CA. What is illegal is importation, manufacture, buying, selling or loaning it.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Sorry, but this was another good reason for not staying in CA even though I was offered a job a few years ago, besides cost of living, I kind of like the idea of CCW and carrying a G19 with a 15 round magazine.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you are accused of a crime, it is the responsibility of the prosecutor to prove that you are guilty. The defendant does not have to prove anything, and can remain silent. Once again, possession of the magazine is not illegal in CA. What is illegal is importation, manufacture, buying, selling or loaning it.
    That may sound nice, but the reality if you are found to have a Hi-cap magazine will be: You get arrested. You get finger printed and photographed. You get to post bond. You get to have an attorney and your day in court. Then you get to have your case heard by a jury of fellow Californians who probably already think that anyone with a Hi-capacity handgun magazine is a gun nut looking for people to kill.

Good luck with proving your innocent.

Example?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    That may sound nice, but the reality if you are found to have a Hi-cap magazine will be: You get arrested. You get finger printed and photographed. You get to post bond. You get to have an attorney and your day in court. Then you get to have your case heard by a jury of fellow Californians who probably already think that anyone with a Hi-capacity handgun magazine is a gun nut looking for people to kill.

Good luck with proving your innocent.
    Give an example with name and date that can be checked.

At least in CA you can buy a NEW Glock. We cannot. Must be pre 10/98, which is mostly Gen2.
    But, we can buy pre-ban mags. (yes we have a permanent ban), and yes, we can still buy evil black rifles, but only with a clean muzzle or brake.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links