First Range Report - Walther PPS

This is a discussion on First Range Report - Walther PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the range with the PPS... 200 rounds of 115gr WWB's... A few things - first - this was my first time ...

Thread: First Range Report - Walther PPS

First Range Report - Walther PPS

Just got back from the range with the PPS... 200 rounds of 115gr WWB's...

A few things - first - this was my first time shooting a pistol since 1998 (give or take - there might have been a couple of times since - but I don't remember).

That being said - at 5 and 7 yards I was consistent within 6". This is a product of not having any practice. With that - the gun makes me shoot better than I ever have.

Recoil was more than I was expecting - but that's probably a product of time. Out of 200 rounds, there was not a single FTF or FTE. As far as the slide returning to battery - the first magazine, first round needed me to assist by pushing the slide forward... after that - no more problems. The trigger was smooth and consistent as well.

The finish shown no sign of wear either - but after a good cleaning I will be able to see more.

The casings eject almost straight up - I was hit maybe 5 times or so - however my friend in the lane to my right might have been hit a dozen or so times...

There are some brass markings on the ejection port visible...

Overall - I would say it was a great day!

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the range report.

I hope you don’t mind me asking but, what did you pay for your PPS?

I know it’s been a number of years since you last did some target pinking, but overall how would you rate the trigger pull.

The reason I ask, is I also considered buying a PPS. But, I am so use to the Glock trigger pull, I hate to change.

Paid $620 at Gander Mt.

I found the trigger pull firm - fact is, it was almost what I would consider perfect. I have shot Glocks before - and found that it was a bit harder than them as I remember. I had a friend with me in the next lane - he had a brand new S&W 9MM 9VE - I fired a few rounds through that as well - his trigger pull seemed longer and considerably harder.

Short version is - I would say that the pull is deliberate. My biggest fear is that I would get a gun with a light trigger and have an AD... that is the furthest thing from my mind now...

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    You jerk, you have my gun, LOL! Sounds good, I can't wait to get one. Where is there a Gander Mountain in Florida? Did they have more? I'm going to be up in Orlando tomorrow and want a PPS right now, so I don't mind a little more traveling.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I "heard" that Shoot Straight in Apopka has a couple. The Gander mountiain in CFL is in Lake Mary - you might want to call them...

FWIW:

I've had my PPS for a couple of months.

Right out of the box the pistol was very accurate and shot poa/poi at 7 yards. (My self defense range).

It was absolutely reliable UNTIL yesterday when I took my PPS and HK P7 out to the range to plink a little. I was using some older Remington ammo, and new DoubleTap 115 grain jhp's.

About the 2nd mag. of the older Remingtons the PPS starting having probleming feeding. I thought it was just the older ammo, so switched over to DT's and had the same problem.

The HK P7 fed and functioned perfectly, so I know it wasn't the ammo.

I called S&W CS and they said to clean the PPS and try different ammo, so I'll do that early next week. What I hate so badly is that I've had a Walther PP, P1,P5, P99c/AS and still have a Walther P99/AS and they have always been 100% reliable. This problem with the PPS really caught me by surprise.

My pistol is a relatively early model, in the 14XX range.

S&W CS said IF I still had the problem to give them a call and they'll send me "call back" (or something) so I can send the PPS back free.

So early next week I'll give it another shot and see.. I cleaned it last night, even tho it had only 50 rds. or less fired through it at the time it malfunctioned.

Jesse

I just bought a 1st Edition from Gander Mountain today for $650 ($700 with tax). I wanted a black one, but now I get the three mag sizes AND the pimpin' hard case. I've heard that the grey color on the polymer can peel, but if it does Walther will take care of it. I can't wait to shoot it. My serial number is in the 980 range.

Congrats on the new PPS! I felt the same way - FE is cool - but if it peels I'll call CS and if they want to send me a black one - that's okay too...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    Congrats on the new PPS! I felt the same way - FE is cool - but if it peels I'll call CS and if they want to send me a black one - that's okay too...
    Yeah, I like the black better and I plan to shoot the crap out of it, not let it be a safe queen and sell it for a whole lot more in a long time. I think a collector would rather have mine, and I'm OK with that, but I'm keeping the extra mags and case, LOL. Now I'm trying to find a holster for it. I really want a Comp-Tac, but they aren't making holsters for it yet. I did order a Smartcarry though.

Let me know how you like the SC... I've got my eye on a High Noon Split Decision.

I just ordered a Crossbreed IWB holster. I'll let you know how it is.

I contacted Fist Inc. last week about PPS holsters and they said "check our website in a few weeks".

https://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/gunlistA/Default.htm

FWIW I can't find a Walther PPS in northeast Ohio. I saw two at a gun show one month ago ($569 and $579), and Gander Mountain had a first edition about 6 months ago waaaaay over MSRP - $679 IIRC.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Links