Need some suggestions...

This is a discussion on Need some suggestions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so... I am looking for a few guns to suggest to my wife for her to look at and decide. We are going to ...

Thread: Need some suggestions...

Need some suggestions...

Ok, so... I am looking for a few guns to suggest to my wife for her to look at and decide. We are going to a gun show in a few weeks for her to get her hands on a bunch of guns and see what she really likes and I would like to get some ideas on what to look at. I am looking for a full size 9mm handgun. Something that is a tad bit thinner than a Glock because she has smaller hands. Max price is about $500. Any ideas?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    You might want to check out the Taurus 24/7, no guarantees on the grips being thinner, but it's a start.

You also might want to look at the S&W M&P full size 9mm, with the going rebate, that should be around $450 after the rebate.

Do you want to buy new or used?

If used is OK, you might find a used Kahr in 9mm in that price range or close to it.

That's funny that you bring up the Taurus 24/7. I am looking at them as I type this, and my wife likes the look of them and the features as I explained them. I am still teaching her about single action versus double action and so on. We are deffinately going to take a look at them when we go to the gun show.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ruger SR9 has very slim grips. 17+1 round capacity, unless you're in a stupid state. Grips aren't as adjustable as some other guns, but it does have an adjustable backstrap. 4.125" barrel. Striker-fired, Glock safe-action type action. 1911 grip angle. I've seen them going a hair below $400 online. Should be able to find them under $450 easily.

-JT

The Ruger SR9 is actually one of the others we were looking at. But I've heard some so so reviews and I'm not to crazy about buying a gun that just came out. I like something that's had a few years to get all the kinks worked out.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    That's funny that you bring up the Taurus 24/7. I am looking at them as I type this, and my wife likes the look of them and the features as I explained them. I am still teaching her about single action versus double action and so on. We are deffinately going to take a look at them when we go to the gun show.
    Which show? I hear "The Nations' Gun Show" is coming up soon, I may make the drive for that one.

For something thinner than a Glock, take a look at a Kahr. You may be able to pick a used one up for around your desired price.

Kahr Arms / 9 mm Models
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Sig 225 or P6

S&w 3913

One of the most popular "third generation" S&W aluminum frame pistols is the model 3913, a single stack 9mm gun with DA/SA trigger and external safety/decocker. The gun fits your requirement of being thin, as the slide width is about 0.90 inches, similar to a 1911 or a Kahr. The magazine holds 8 rounds.

It comes in several versions, and the one labeled "Lady Smith" is often favored by women. The gun is attractive, with gray grips, and can usually be found slightly used for about $500.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Which show? I hear "The Nations' Gun Show" is coming up soon, I may make the drive for that one.
    It's the SGK gun show in Hampton, VA. They have about 500 tables.

Home SGK Gun Shows

They also have a show in Fredericksburg, Fisherville and Virginia Beach. But the one in Hampton is the biggest of those.

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Might also look at the CZ P-01. 9mm, alloy frame, 14+1 decocked model. If your looking for manual safety look at the CZ 75 compact.

JD, Nations gun show is April 11, 12 &13th. Just so happens I have to be in Chantilly for a class on 8, 9 and 10th. May have to take off on friday and stay up there for a few more days!

Though a bit higher than your max price and if you can find one, I'd suggest you take a look at the Walther PPS. I bought this for myself, but my wife stole it before I got to send the first round downrange. With the thin profile and, changeable backstraps and different length magazines, it is fairly versatile and so far has proven out to be a fine firearm.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Depends on what she is going to use it for. If single stack magazine is OK and you really want a full size, you might look at some of the Sig P220 9mms that are being imported now. I believe these are from european police agencies like the P-6s that are being sold now. Being heavier than the P225/P-6 it will have a softer recoil. I think you can get one these in the $400 range. If she would consider a compact the S&W 3913 is a very nice pistol. I recently got a Sig P225 and am very happy with it, but it was a C.P.O. and above your stated price limit. If you are going to look at the P-6s, try to get a later production one. The early models reportedly have shown some issues feeding some types of hollow points. I don't know what year they changed the feed ramp. Or you could just grab one and load it with EFMJ.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links