1911 Help

1911 Help

This is a discussion on 1911 Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so here is my deal, I am looking for my first 1911. I would like to have one and possibly even look to it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Help

me [OP]

1911 Help

Ok so here is my deal,

I am looking for my first 1911. I would like to have one and possibly even look to it as my carry gun, I would take familiarization as I have been DAO.

I am looking for a barrel length of 3.5 inches to a 4 inch barrel a 7 round magazine. I also would require Night sights. What is a good 1911 to look at for this bill?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

ok i'll bite
    How much are you willing to spend?

I like springfields loaded models, but am currently shopping for a dan wesson bobtailed commander (850ish delivered)
    it is 4.25 though, but the bobtail really makes it easy to shoot and conceal.
    YouTube - Review: Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911 .45ACP

-mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Springfield Armory Loaded Champion. 'Nuff said.

JD
    Administrator
    The Springfield Ultra Compact also fits that bill nicely. Personally, I'd go with the above mentioned Champ, but that's just me.

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    ok i'll bite
    How much are you willing to spend?
    My carry gun now is a M&P 40 with extra toys that put it over $1000, Night and Laser sights.

I was told by a LEO friend that you can not put a price on your life and I would be willing to wait to save the extra money. I would want to stay somewhere under $1000 starting cost. I am not too sure when it comes to decent 1911 prices so I am not even sure what is to be expected.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

With time, you'd be able to find a Loaded Champ for around $725.

Lead Moderator
    I carry a SA Champ LW and like it alot. It has all the features I wanted. Might be worth looking at anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well I'm in the hunt for a new carry 45 and was looking at the SA loaded SS Champion but the weight was same as my 5" SS Kimber. I'm thinking one of the Kimber Ultras or CDP is where I'm going to go at this time. I know there's a lot of SA fans here but I still like my Kimbers.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

For Kimber lovers, take a serious look at the Compact or any of their 4" bull barrel guns. Quite a difference between them and an Ultra. A bobtailed Pro is the perfect combination for me.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Kimber Pro 4 inch barrel

I've had good luck with my Kimber Pro CDP, which has a 4 inch barrel and comes stock with night sights, checkered frontstrap and melted slide. The gun has functioned perfectly through about 1000 rounds, and I often carry it.

I put thin aluminum grip panels on it to reduce thickness and installed a black steel checkered mainspring housing to replace the plastic part that comes stock. I use Wilson 8 round magazines. The gun weighs about 28 ounces empty so it is easy to carry all day. I believe these sell new today for close to $1000.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I like my UC CDP II! It's been perfect, but the 3" 45 can be finicky. The Pro might be a better/safer bet. I like my VZ Gatorbacks better than the Aluma too! Also get the VZ mainspring housing. The Kimber one is plastic. Also try out some Tripp Cobra mags, even better quality construction than the Wilson's. I have both and compared side-by-side.

New Member Array southlandcowboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Ok so here is my deal,

I am looking for my first 1911. I would like to have one and possibly even look to it as my carry gun, I would take familiarization as I have been DAO.

I am looking for a barrel length of 3.5 inches to a 4 inch barrel a 7 round magazine. I also would require Night sights. What is a good 1911 to look at for this bill?
    The Springfield loaded champion was my first 1911 and I couldn't be happier with it. Got the 4 inch barrel, fits seven and even eight round magazines and comes standard with tritium night sights. You should def. check it out.
    Duke in Southern CA
    NRA Life Member/ UT CCW permit holder
    Springfield Champion 45 stainless
    Glock 22
    S&W 686 357 Magnum 7-shot
    "I support gun control. I use both hands."

I really like my Springfield LW Champion. I'm not fond of the black slide and olive green frame as far as looks go, but this size is so handy and Springfield has a very good warranty and service. The SS Champion is a really good looking gun and if I didn't already own a 5" Loaded SS and the LW Champ, I'd probably buy one of those.

Cloudpeak

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Springfield Loaded Champion. Upgraded version of my ol' Champ and the price is right.

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Second, no third, no fourth, no ... SA Champ

I have a GI Champ and like it except for the weight (not lw). I would look at the Springfield Armory over kimber because of the warranty alone.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links