M&P Stainless

This is a discussion on M&P Stainless within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [Borat]M&P is NOT "stainless"[/Borat] stainless. I was all fired up to come and relate how awesome was my MTAC for my M&P 45, I wore ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P Stainless

M&P Stainless

[Borat]M&P is NOT "stainless"[/Borat] stainless. I was all fired up to come and relate how awesome was my MTAC for my M&P 45, I wore it with a button-down Ralph Lauren shirt tucked over it for an entire round of golf and to eat with no one the wiser. I got home and pulled out my pistol after having worn it with great comfort and satisfaction the last almost 12 hours and see something disgusting.

With flash:

After I cleaned it off:

The holster in question:

Inside:

It looks like the finish just leached off the slide and take-down lever into the leather! *(NOTE: DISCOLORATIONS ON back OF HOLSTER WERE ALREADY PRESENT) S&W is going to be hearing about this, this is totally unacceptable. I only bought this pistol for it supposed durability in extreme conditions, it couldn't even stand one warm day on the golf course!

Please reply to this thread only if you have had similar experiences from your M&P and please post pictures if you have them. I'm very sorry this happened becuase I took it to the range last week and was very pleased with it.
    I did this at 10 yards, the second at 25. I only have two other pistols I could even keep on the paper at 25 yards.

I really don't want to have to send it back and have them mess with how it goes together, either by refinishing or replacing the slide.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

2. Remove Ads

ok i now you dont want my response as both my M&P's are fine even after 8 hours of hard sweating framing houses but smith had a bad batch of slides get out and if you call them they will replace it no problem i know they have taken care of everyone so far

This was mine right out of the box. I have copy and pasted my response from another forum I am a member at.

The M&P's are NOT stainless, they are full of iron, the best way to tell is to put a magnet to the slide. Real stainless will not attract a magnet.

Damn! I just bought my 1st Smith and Wesson M&P tonight and I am very disappointed to say the least.

It's a 9mm compact. Picked it up from the gun shop for $449 with the $50 rebate. I was in a hurry because I was technically at work and had a coworker waiting for me so I didn't look the pistol over like I should have.

Anyways... I just got home from work and broke it all down and was inspecting it when I noticed some major pitting at the end of the slide both inside and out. I don't know how this got past QA but it did and I got it.

Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

ZW17, I saw that thread last night, that's why I posted this horror show. Something that was sitting around in a ware house for who-knows-how long and one caried for a day shouldn't be having these problems with an ostensibly stainless slide. I have a PX4 I polished some of the flats on the side and it still isn't rusted. Beretta either phosphatizes or parkerize (or both, I can't recall exactly at the moment) the pistols and apply the Bruniton epoxy over it.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Snip

I agree. It's pretty bad that it had rusted that fast. I have also heard that they had a bad run of the slides. My advice would be to contact Smith and let them know what happened. I will say that S&W has a great customer service department and will bend over backwards to keep you happy.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

Quote Originally Posted by ZW17 View Post
    I agree. It's pretty bad that it had rusted that fast. I have also heard that they had a bad run of the slides. My advice would be to contact Smith and let them know what happened. I will say that S&W has a great customer service department and will bend over backwards to keep you happy.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    No doubt about it, I'll be calling during normal business hours when I have some more fire in my belly, it's been a long day.
    -Horace

Greetings Jug...

Man, that really sucks...
    I hope that they make it MORE than right...
    Be a REAL squeaky wheel...

ret/Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good luck, I hope S&W makes it right.

Keep us posted!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    I'm absolutely S&W will make it right. That is a decently odd occurrence for Stainless. Obviously they messed up on the final pacification step.
    That just should not ever happen to that degree.
    Anyone with a Stainless slide showing pitting like that is due a brand new factory fit slide.
    I personally would not settle for anything less than a properly replaced slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

They should change the name of this pistol to the 50/50. Seems like that's about the odds for getting a good one or a bad one.

I've had bad experiences with 2 M&P 40 compacts that I bought. No rust, because they were never reliable enough for me to actually put into a holster and carry.

It's quite apparent to me that S&W doesn't have a clue what quality control is.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have 2 M&P's. One full size and one compact. I have carried and shot the fullsize extensively. NO problems at all. I just bought the compact recently, and am very impressed with the finish and operation of the entire gun. I'm sorry to hear and see some of the problems people are having with them.

Many cars have stainless exhausts and they do have corrosion. I have 2 m&p's with no issues. S&W is supposed to have a great customer service dept let them make it right. Please let us know if they do, or if it's just lip service.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    By the way, some schedules (types) of stainless steel will attract a magnet, some will not, it depends on the alloy. There is no hard and fast correlation between magnetic properties and rust resistance, either.

Called S&W customer service yesterday and spoke to Joe. Joe had a hard time understanding me because I'm Southern. Joe is sending me a pre-paid mailer to send the entire pistol back to S&W. Joe seemed like this is not the first time he has heard of this problem. Joe became flustered when I asked him if he had any other identification, such as a CSR number or an extension, "No, I'm... Joe!" I wonder if S&W's QC department arrives on the short bus with the CS department?
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Called S&W customer service yesterday and spoke to Joe. Joe had a hard time understanding me because I'm Southern. Joe is sending me a pre-paid mailer to send the entire pistol back to S&W. Joe seemed like this is not the first time he has heard of this problem. Joe became flustered when I asked him if he had any other identification, such as a CSR number or an extension, "No, I'm... Joe!" I wonder if S&W's QC department arrives on the short bus with the CS department?
    I have seen that side of S&W CS, but you hear good things about them, but not from me! The short bus
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links