Glock or S&W MP .40? - Page 2

Glock or S&W MP .40?

This is a discussion on Glock or S&W MP .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never fired the M&P...it looks nice but I own a G23. Great pistol....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock or S&W MP .40?

Never fired the M&P...it looks nice but I own a G23. Great pistol.

I think the M&P is going to be a quality weapon. It just is not a GLOCK yet. The GLOCK has 20+ years of reliability. You will not be unhappy with a GLOCK. The 23 is a very popular weapon for a reason. Parts are not an issue or aftermarket accessories. First time buyers I would recommend the Glock over the Smith.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I love my Glockís.

But why are you set on a 40?

As your first carry gun, why not look at a 9 mm.

Sure, the 40 hits harder, but with a 9 mm lower recoil you would be more likely to shoot more.

Just my two cents worth

Distinguished Member
    I had the same dilemma about 2 months ago , it's solved now I got the g23 .

Quote Originally Posted by Gloc Down View Post
    I have held them both, and the M&P felt the best to me, but what about reliability? What are some of the problems that people have experienced with either of the pistols?
    Glock, Glock, Glock!!! I can reliably shoot any of my Glocks all day and night long.

The S&W M&P line may one day become very reliable, but there have been a few too many issues with magazines that drop while shooting.

I've shoot both as well as a XD 40, but yet another Glock (26) followed me home from a gun show this past weekend.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

My M&P 9c shoots perfect. Never any problems at all. My M&P full size 45 shoots perfect too and I can hit notebook size paper at 50 yards every shot and about 75% at 100 yards. What ever you get though, I would go with the 9mm over the 40 though... Here's why:

1) Cheaper ammo so you can practice more
    2) Beats the gun up less
    3) Holds more rounds
    4) Loaded w/ the right defense ammo, the 9mm is just as effective as the 40

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

Glocks have a better record and the benefit of being around for 20 years. That means more availability of parts and accessories. The M&P is IMHO better looking, and designed to fit more hands. They say that you should go with the gun that points best for you. Unfortunately, the M&P still hasn't gotten it's sea legs yet. If you do go with an M&P, you might consider putting about 1000 rounds through it before you trust it (that's on top of all the dry firing). There are people who have had great results with the M&P, and if you turn out to be one of them, then you should be fine.

I also agree with those who suggest 9mm over .40. People get too caught up in the caliber debate, and with modern ammo it's just not as important. For a first pistol the 9mm will be easier to learn on, and much cheaper. Also, the ammo for it is more readily available.

My choice is MP40c. I have shot G19 and 23s and they just don't point right for me and fit my big meaty hands.

So my recommendation is to check its natural POA (pt of aim) of both pistols, which one feels 'right' and then shoot it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I've shot both and that is why I have a M&P .40. For what I want and need, the M&P is better. Every gun will have a problem, don't get caught up in the Glock's, Sig's, HK's, ect, are perfect mindset. Any gun can be as reliable or unreliable as the next. Just find the one that shoots better for you.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    If those are your two choices right now, then stick with Glock since it is your first. The MP lines are having some issues right now and they just don't make for a good gun for a new person. You don't want your very first and only pistol turn out to be one that is incapable of functioning and leaving you defenseless. A lot of us here own multiple guns, so if we were to purchase a gun that has function problems, we are not going to be left defenseless with no other choices for daily carry.

Also, while I do think that carrying a .40 caliber is certainly hands down better that a 9mm, I would recommend that you go with a 9mm first. The ammo is by far cheaper and it has a lighter recoil. Those two things right there will help encourage you to get and shoot and shoot and shoot some more. It will give you the opertunity to concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting, so when you move up to a .40 caliber or maybe even a .45 or 10mm then you will have a better understanding and better results when you shoot those bigger, more expensive calibers.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I am a big fan of Glock, they are always reliable. I recently tried to talk myself into going with an XD but couldn't convince myself it was better than the Glock.

I am in the same situation. i am also trying to decide between a M&P 9mm or a Glock 19.

I already have a Taurus PT111 Pro 9mm and would like another handgun for carry.

kpw
    I like the M&Ps. The ones I've shot were reliable, felt pretty good in my hands, not so great triggers. I prefer the Glock. The M&P has a decent feel when holding it but the Glock's flat sided grip helps me line up on target faster and with the grip angle, shot recovery is faster for me. My own preference is for a flatter side on grip wether it's Glocks, 1911s, BHPs or anything else. Just holding a pistol without shooting it really doesn't tell you much. You need to shoot both, preferably side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenbow View Post
    good read

Quote Originally Posted by Gloc Down View Post
    Hopefully there isn't a thread like this one. I have just recently got my CCL and am looking to buy my first pistol. I am trying to decide between a Glock 23 and a M&P 40. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or opinions on these two pistols.

First of all since this is a carry gun and not a range gun I donít really think thereís a choice, you go with a Glock. Let the M&P get its issues worked out, no need you doing that while you are carrying it for defense. There is a difference and at this point in time the Glock has the track record to prove itself.

Secondly, like many posters Iíd suggest the 9mm over the 40. If you pick your defensive ammo correctly, you arenít giving up anything at all with a 9mm, ammo is cheaper and that will allow you to shoot more. We are after all talking about handguns, they are almost all underpowered compared to long guns and shot placement rules, practice is the only way to achieve good shot placement.

Glock 19 would be (and is) my choice.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links