Kahr P380 - Page 5

Kahr P380

This is a discussion on Kahr P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the Ruger LCP is a copy of the keltec, it's a copy X 10. Much better gun, much better finish and they actually recall ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P380

If the Ruger LCP is a copy of the keltec, it's a copy X 10. Much better gun, much better finish and they actually recall and fix, on their dime, any problems. Something Keltec never did. Kahr makes excellent guns and I like them.
    Every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast!

RetiredMajor
    NRA Certified Instructor

I am looking forward to it being my next purchase.
    كافر

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    The January Guns and Ammo has a writeup on the new Kahr 380. It looks nice, hopefully Kahr's better design will not have the problems Ruger had with there Keltec copy.

Hmmmm. let me guess. The write up says it's a great handgun.

This gun may sell me on a .380.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I'm still waiting for them to start hitting dealers' shelves. Been anxiously waiting since October. I've still got a few boxes of fmj and Double Tap .380 in my ammo box so a Kahr 380 or Seecamp would be nice.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredMajor View Post
    If the Ruger LCP is a copy of the keltec, it's a copy X 10. Much better gun, much better finish and they actually recall and fix, on their dime, any problems. Something Keltec never did. Kahr makes excellent guns and I like them.
    I am certainly not a Kel Tec fan and generally love Rugers, but one thing Kel Tec is known for is good customer service. They will make the pistol right if you send it back to them. They are generally well designed and innovative handguns but at the price point they sell for you are not going to get a hand finished gun internally and they often need the old "fluf and buff" treatment. I purchased an LCP and quickly lost faith in the gun and traded it in for a PM9 and have never looked back. I own several CCW handguns (10+) including, CZ's, S&W's, Ruger's and XD's and the Kahr is one of my favorite carry guns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I for one hope it takes a long time getting to the shelf, because once it does I'm going to be sorely tempted to get it. I have a P3AT and an LCP and love them both. I personally think those two are the ultimate true pocket carry out of everything currently available and the P380 may just be the best of the best. I believe the slide locks back after the last round and it actually has sights! I have to Kahrs and both have been absolutely perfect with any ammo I've ever put in them so here's hoping!

Can't wait for it to reach my local shelves as I am eager to see one. I really would like to retire my Colt Mustang from carry use. I really like it and don't want to see it ruined by constant carry.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I for one hope it takes a long time getting to the shelf, because once it does I'm going to be sorely tempted to get it. I have a P3AT and an LCP and love them both. I personally think those two are the ultimate true pocket carry out of everything currently available and the P380 may just be the best of the best. I believe the slide locks back after the last round and it actually has sights! I have to Kahrs and both have been absolutely perfect with any ammo I've ever put in them so here's hoping!
    Price of P380 = price of P3AT + price of LCP.

I think I'll stick to my LCP.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Price of P380 = price of P3AT + price of LCP.

I think I'll stick to my LCP.

+1 on that. It is hard for me to justify the price, when you can get their excellent PM9 for about the same dough. The LCP would do everything that I would require from a pocket .380.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredMajor View Post
    That is hilarious, I needed a good laugh...
    THANKS!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Whats so funny about it....I agree. I had a Kel-Tec and it was a piece of crap. The magazine fell out every time I shot it. The gun has mo9ld flashings still on it, it jammed. I traded it in pretty fast. Now I have a PM9 and soon will have a P380 companion.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Whats so funny about it....I agree. I had a Kel-Tec and it was a piece of crap. The magazine fell out every time I shot it. The gun has mo9ld flashings still on it, it jammed. I traded it in pretty fast. Now I have a PM9 and soon will have a P380 companion.
    What's so funny is "RetiredMajor" implied that;
    1-the LCP is not a copy of the P3AT
    2-There is a need for Kel Tec to recall the P3AT
    3- That Kel Tec doesn't fix issues/pay for shipping

Now that there is just funny,

When you get your P380 I hope it works well for you and look forward to a range report. That said; don't fool yourself, the pistol will have issues in a broad sence. ANY pistol in this size range is going to have some problems (Period) It doesn't matter if it's a $250 P3AT/LCP, a $600 Kahr, or a $1000 Rohrbaugh 9. Your pushing the limits of size, weight, and power. Some malfunctions are gun related, and even more are user related.

Have a Nice Day!

Why do we have to pass judgement on this little gun before it arrives? Maybe we should wait and see just how good or bad it turns out to be.
    Kahr has a reputation riding on this gun. I'm sure they are all over this.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post
    Why do we have to pass judgement on this little gun before it arrives? Maybe we should wait and see just how good or bad it turns out to be.
    Kahr has a reputation riding on this gun. I'm sure they are all over this.
    Just the facts. Not judgment. The Kahr is twice the price af the LCP/P3AT. The limits of physics, mechanical engineering and manufacturing engineering of a mass produced product at even this price point is a serious challenge.

Now for the speculation: The probabilities are that there will be some early problems. So what? They will work through them and this product may take it's place among the other successful products in it's category. Remember, I said this paragraph is speculation.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Just the facts. Not judgment. The Kahr is twice the price af the LCP/P3AT. The limits of physics, mechanical engineering and manufacturing engineering of a mass produced product at even this price point is a serious challenge...
    Bingo and Amen.
    The Kahr 380 may be the greatest micro auto pistol in history with zero problems. The odds are there are going to be mechanical issues, along with human error; not cleaned, not lubed properly, improper grip, not strong enough handle the little firecracker.

For the record, I said the same thing about the LCP. Most everyone was saying (paraphrasing of course) "if Ruger puts it name on it it will run like a tank, just like my GP100" Problem is Ruger never made a tiny semi auto, even though they had the P3AT to reverse engineer there are still issues... including a recall.

Now Kahr is good at making small autos, but this pistol is pushing the envelope in size and power. It's a different animal all together.
    JMHO.

Sponsored Links