Defensive Carry banner

Kahr P380

47K views 126 replies 78 participants last post by  gdbrown56 
#1 ·
Hello, Ive been lurking this forum for the past couple of months now. Today I stumbled acrossed Kahr's website and noticed they have a new model soon to ship. Kahr Arms / .380 Models / P Series

My EDC is a Kimber UC II. Im used to the 1911 platform and am no stranger to handguns. Recently, Ive been toying with the idea of purchasing a BUG. When I first saw the Kahr P380 I instantly became intrigued by it.

That being said, What can anyone tell me about the .380 platform. I have never shot one, and have been curious as to its stopping power. Im in no way trying to start a war on which caliper bullet is better(.45vs 9mm, etc.). Im only trying to find some insight to the .380. Any info would be highly helpful. Thanks.

#2 ·
Gelatin Penetration Tests Here: .380ACP

I'm from the bigger is better school of thought, since CNS disruption can be caused by virtually any caliber, but rapid bleed out requires bigger and deeper holes. That said, the penetration of 380 ACP seems fair.

I carry a CW9 as my BUG or go-anywhere gun.

#6 ·
Estimated Pricing on Kahr .380

The Kahr website shows an MSRP price of $649 for the .380 model, and I was curious what the gun might sell for at typical retail.

The Kahr PM9 model has an MSRP of $771 and Bud's Gun Shop sells it for $588, which is 76% of MSRP. If you apply the 76% figure to the .380, you get an estimated retail price of $495.

It does look like a pretty nice little pocket gun, with a "no magazine" weight of 10 ounces and very small dimensions. I think it would conceal quite easily in almost any pocket. Perhaps it would make an excellent backup gun.

#12 ·
Well I wasn't planning on buying another Kahr anytime soon, but I think that may have changed.

Sixto, do you know what the price point is going to be for those yet?

#14 ·
MSRP is 650, I'll bet it will be right around 500 on the shelf, give or take a few dollars. I suspect that Kahr is going to do everything they can to keep the price as low as possible to compete with the lesser quality pistols that it will be next to in the showcase.

#15 ·
With some help from cvhoss's table, I produced another 380 ACP BUG comparison table.

Quick note: Kahr's website states the P380 as having a slide width of .75 inches. Using the Kahr-supplied picture comparing the top view of the P380 and the P3AT, pixels, and proportionality, I came up with an overall (approximate) width of .91 inches.

#21 ·
OOOOHHH...that is nice...and just when I think I have all the guns I need:icon_neutral: I just yesterday bought a Ruger LCP, so I might be able to hold out. Maybe if they are 400 bucks, but not 600!!!

#33 ·
Neither have nor do i want one . Just like the new ruger it makes me say " Kewl " but in all honesty i have a p3at that runs fine and a pm9 that runs fine . Both the Kahr and the Ruger .380 offerings offer a slide stop , but that is not a deal breaker ( for me ) on this size pistol anyway .

And to imatt , you have not priced some of the higher end .380s lately . Heck i have a common Walther that approaches your figure in value, and its been refinished at least once .

#34 ·
And to imatt , you have not priced some of the higher end .380s lately . Heck i have a common Walther that approaches your figure in value, and its been refinished at least once .
It's true I haven't priced any compact .380's recently. Once I found the p3at, the need ceased to exist.

In my mind, if I'm paying $500, it's going to be a larger weapon. Maybe it's my whole "I'm a cheapo" side showing through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.