My New Pistol Is Fantastic, 2nd Range Report

This is a discussion on My New Pistol Is Fantastic, 2nd Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read an article recently that got me to thinking. I usually carry either my Smith & Wesson 1066 10mm or the Charter Arms Bulldog ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Pistol Is Fantastic, 2nd Range Report

VIP Member

I read an article recently that got me to thinking. I usually carry either my Smith & Wesson 1066 10mm or the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. When I am around town I have access to plenty of ammo at home, but when I am out of town both calibers are pretty hard to find. I got to thinking about how hard it would be to get resupplied if I were just 30 miles from home and needed ammo.

The other thing that this article got me to thinking about is what happens when the firearm runs out of ammo - the reload. I have practiced getting a new mag and putting it in fairly frequently and do it pretty well. But when I get my wife to time me in doing the reload I tend to fumble. I guess I get excited and the fine motor skills start to be replaced by the gross motor movements and the reload isn't done well. The revolver is even worse.

So after due deliberation I decided to get a carry firearm that uses a mag that holds lots of ammo and that is in a caliber which is easily found. I have my 1911s and they fit the second criteria, but fail the first. None of my other handguns held over 9 rounds. So I decided to find a handgun that held at least 15 rounds in the mag and which fired one of the three most easily found calibers - 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. I quickly eliminated .40 S&W as a possibility since I have yet to find a .40 that I like to shoot. The .45 was eliminated when I determined that 15 round mags and .45 ACP were mutually exclusive. So I did the research on 9mm guns. Some of my personal preferences trimmed the list quickly. I like DA/SA pistols, I like hammers. I don't like DAO or strikers. I like steel and I don't care much for polymer. That narrowed the field. I finally decided that the EAA-Tanfoglio Witness fit the bill nicely. So Saturday I picked up a Witness 9mm fullsize steel pistol in what the manufacturer calls the "wonder finish" with 17+1 capacity.

I had been handling a Witness in .38 Super for a while, but kept not buying it because I had some needs to attend to before I bought a "want" pistol. I knew that I liked the way the Witness felt in my hand and I had talked to a number of people who have them. All had stated that the Witness was a fine firearm and was an exceptional value.

Here is mine:

Yesterday I had the opportunity to try out the Witness. All the ammo I had available was a 100 round box of WWB FMJ. I am really impressed with the Witness. I fired the 100 rounds without any problems - no failure to feed, no failure to eject. The rounds strike right at point of aim from 25 feet. It was a joy, to just pull the trigger and watch the holes appear. The rubber grips work very well. I have Hogues on my S&W 10mm and the factory grips on the Witness have a similar feel. The recoils is mild. I am anxious to get back to the range and try some different ammo to see how the Witness works with them. I expect this pistol to digest anything you put in the mag. I'll report on some different ammo use later this week.

Now all I need is to find some good leather to put the Witness in and I will have a new EDC firearm.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Very nice looking gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Sir, that is one fine looking Witness!!! I know you have heard of Eric Larsen and his past problems but he specializes in holsters for CZ style semis. He seems to be getting back on his feet and I am going to order one of his HBE Driving holsters for my BHP. Once again, one fine looking weapon!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Congrats on the Witness. Also, I very much agree with your logic on 9mm. The witness along with several other handguns is a clone of the CZ75. I have a 75BD which I like very much. Congratulations again on the Witness.

I think for the price and what you get the EAA line of pistols are pretty decent

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Very nice. And having 17+1 on tap sounds pretty dang sweet.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    That is an interesting looking pistol. I wonder why the "cut out" just in front of the trigger?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Congratulations on your logical analysis and finding a pistol that meets all your requirements. Without looking at them side by side, my first impression was that the Witness reminded me of a BHP a little bit.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    That is an interesting looking pistol. I wonder why the "cut out" just in front of the trigger?
    Rick, I wondered that myself. I don't know for sure, but it makes a good place to index the finger. I suspect it is there because CZ has one in the 75 B.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    The other thing that is neat about the Witness is that I can now get a .38 Super conversion kit for about $200.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Maybe make it easier to get a gloved finger into the trigger guard?

-JT

VIP Member
    I would suspect it is there due to the fact it is a CZ clone and all CZ's are made that way. I also believe I read somewhere it was made like that for gloved shooting. Although I have never had the opportunity to shoot a Witness (or a BG either!!) I understand they are good shooting guns. If they shoot anything like my 5 CZ's they have to be sweet.

Simple looking, streamlined, sweet...enjoy your new EDC!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is a very nice looking pistol!

Very nice! If 18 rounds of 9mm won't stop them, Run!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links