Going from a .40 to a 9....

This is a discussion on Going from a .40 to a 9.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone here went from carrying a .40 or .45 to a 9mm. I'm not looking for a caliber war here, I'm just considering swapping ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going from a .40 to a 9....

Going from a .40 to a 9....

Has anyone here went from carrying a .40 or .45 to a 9mm. I'm not looking for a caliber war here, I'm just considering swapping my EDC from a .40 to a 9. It would allow me to only buy 9mm for practice and for carry since my wife also has a 9mm, I am more accurate with the 9(marginally), and ammo costs(at least for the practice stuff) is a good bit cheaper. I think that with the SD ammo thats on the market today I wouldn't be giving up much by stepping down to the 9. What are your opinions on this or have you actually swapped from something larger to a 9mm?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I think the 9mm will do the job as well as anyother caliber with the proper shot placement.

We've come a long way in bullet technology in the last 10 years. The caliber " gap" isn't near as big as it used to be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    I'm in process of doing the same thing(.45->9mm), ammo cost for one, more ammo on tap for another.

My problem was (is) finding a 9mm that I liked enough to shelf my 1911s.

I was shootin' a 10mm and went to a .45. At one time I thought about it, but that big ol' 45 bullet just wouldn't let go of me. The costs of a .45acp isn't THAT much different. The capacity of my glock 21 is 13+1 vs. a 9mm at 16 or 17+1. PLUS...since I have a pocket carry of a .380, the 9mm was out of the question.
    But your justification I can see. Hi-cap 9mm cheaper and easier to shoot than the .40 and you can find 9mm (and .45acp) anywhere.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

JD
    Administrator
    Regarding cost, 100rds of .45 is almost $10 more per 100 than 9mm. It's not too bad if you buy one box a month, but when you're burning 300+ rounds every two weeks (Lima and I combined) for a general range trip, the wallet starts getting hurt, especially once you factor in gas cost in going to the range and back.

And until we have room for a bench, reloading is out.

I've gone from 40/45 to 9mm recently (for CCW). I have developed enough arthritis in my hands to appreciate not having to cycle the slide on the larger caliber guns.. With the higher quality ammo now available in 9mm, I don't worry at all about being undergunned. If I were in a high risk enviroment (ie LEO) , I might feel differently. But for me, I don't worry at all..... YMMV..... mike

VIP Member
    I carried a Glock 23 as a civilian CCWer, and now carry a Sig P228 in 9mm as a duty weapon. I switched because I had to, but, knowing what I do now, I'm just as happy (if not happier) with the 9mm than I was with the .40.

For all the reasons you've mentioned, the 9mm is a good choice. Also - and this probably won't apply to you - 9mm is much easier to get ahold of in other countries than is .40. IMO, hitting the BG quickly is more important (within reason) than what you hit him with, and I can hit faster and more often with my Sig than I could with my G23...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Your reasoning is very sound tacticaly.......a commom caliber for both you and your wife that is readily availiable, cost effictive, and easy to shoot/handle.
    The 9mm is a proven round and had stopped as many people as any other 'common' handgun round.
    I personally carry a .40 and am in the market for a 1911 .45.....that's just me.

What works for you and yours.....works. Stay safe.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Make sure your SD rounds are 147gr . Check it out on the web but the ballistics of a 147gr 9mm is VERY similar to a .45acp . My favorite gun, my "BABY EAGLE" is in 9mm & I had the same concerns when I dropped down to a 9mm .

I have one of each, carry both, and enjoy shooting both. My next gun purchase will probably be a G26, actually, and the lighter weight 9mm +p+ rounds are supposed to have very good ballistic performance.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Makes sense to me

I have also gone through all the cycles of 9mm, .40 and .45, with a little 10mm and .357 magnum thrown in, and I am starting to think that 9mm may be quite adequate. I have been staring at gelatin test data for modern 147 grain 9mm defensive ammo, and it seems to penetrate 13 or 14 inches and expand to 0.65 or 0.70 inches in diameter, even through layers of denim over the gelatin. The .40 and .45 tests look very similar, so maybe 9mm is just about as effective as they are.

Besides the cheaper practice ammo you mentioned, the 9mm may have a couple of other advantages for defensive use:

1. More rounds will fit in a given size gun than .40 or .45.
    2. The recoil is less, so you can fire multiple shots quicker. If someone is coming at you with a weapon, time is critical.
    3. There are many 9mm guns on the market to choose from, from big 17 round duty size guns to little pocket guns.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    Yup, I've done it for the reasons mentioned above. I still prefer 45ACP above all, but the 9mm is a very close second.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    When it comes to downing sizing the bullet; just make more holes in the BG........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

a pistol is a pistol......a rifle is a rifle.

no pistol will match a rifle for power.
    pick a platform that you are comfortable with and carry it.
    for me thats a glock 19 a keltec p32 ,might get rid of it for the ruger lcp tho, and a 642.

guess which one i carry the most....hint....it only holds 5

the 9 is the cheapest to shoot and that i like, but they will all get the job done if i need them.....

Last edited by bkkd; March 18th, 2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added pic

9mm has always been my choice. I figure a BG hit well with a 9mm is as likely to give up as he is with a .40 or .45 unless he is really high or psycho (in which case it probably won't matter what you hit him with). Unfortunately an M-134 won't concealed carry well!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links