SP101 not hitting POA

This is a discussion on SP101 not hitting POA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 2.25" sp101 .357 Mag. At about 20 yds it prints about 6 in low with 38's and about 4" low with 158 ...

Thread: SP101 not hitting POA

SP101 not hitting POA

I have a 2.25" sp101 .357 Mag. At about 20 yds it prints about 6 in low with 38's and about 4" low with 158 gr .357. This was shooting from a good rest, not offhand. I know this is meant to be a short range weapon, but I hate guns that don't hit where I point them. I loaded some lighter 125 gr to try and they hit very close to the .38's

Has anyone else had this problem? I am considering filing the front sight down. Is there a shorter front blade available?

Thanks

Matt

2. Remove Ads

I feel your pain. I think I would try the gun at ten yards, again using a rest, and see where it hits. If it is any consolation to you, I have one sp101, three S&W J frames, and a Colt DS, and none of them shoot to the POA. I finally bought an M-60 snub with adjustable sights. (I have owned an M-36 that did shoot to the POA, so it happens sometimes.)

If you decide to file the sight, you will need to remove very little metal, so if you haven't done this before, do the work at the range, so you can file a little and shoot a three round group, then file a little more and repeat the process until you are satisfied. And remember it is a lot easier to take metal off than it is to put it back on, but you know that.

Another consideration is that your gun cannot be made to shoot 38's and .357's to the same POA. It is going to be sighted for a single load.

There is a final consideration. You will find it much faster to see the front sight above the rear sight rather than lining up the sights as we were all taught to do. This applies to only speed work. Try it dry fire. Come from the leather at max speed and use only the front sight firing as soon as the front sight is center of mass without reference to the rear sight. This technique is very fast and if your gun shoots low, you should be right on target.

I would suggest calling XS sights, and see what's the height of the lowest dot they offer. XS's "shoot-through-the-dot" system would alleviate much of your pain; you could do the same, if you painted your front white, and covered the target area with it.

FWIW, I had an SP, not too long after they came out, and had the same problem.

Snubby's tend to shoot low at least in part because the powder does not burn to max pressure in a short barrel. My SP101 does the same thing. I would not file the front sight. As Hoot says, put the front sight above the rear sight (cover the target with the blade) and you should be OK - closer anyway. I love my SP101 , but it's not a target pistol and it does shoot to a different POI with different ammo (as you've found with yours).

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Snubby's tend to shoot low at least in part because the powder does not burn to max pressure in a short barrel. My SP101 does the same thing. I would not file the front sight. As Hoot says, put the front sight above the rear sight (cover the target with the blade) and you should be OK - closer anyway. I love my SP101 , but it's not a target pistol and it does shoot to a different POI with different ammo (as you've found with yours).
    Agree 100%... My SP101 shoots @ 4 o'clock position using Magtech 158 gr. I believe it would hit at different positions using different weights and brands of ammo. The snubbie is not a target pistol but is meant for a close range defensive weapon. I love the snot out of my SP101 and don't think twice of the accuracy cause in a defensive scenerio at 10' feet or so it won't really matter...

Dave

try shooting 125 or 130 grain rounds. I have 2 fixed sight rugers, one being an sp101. They hit on target better with lighter rounds.

Thanks for the input. I'll try just pulling the front blade up for now, see if xs has the a lower profile sight.

VIP Member
    Mine shoots a little high, so I aim 2" low. I guess I lucked out.

Links