Anyone have problems with 10rd mags

This is a discussion on Anyone have problems with 10rd mags within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I bought a Chip McCormic 10rd mag, and a mag follower wich I have not yet installed in eater of my mags. I didnt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have problems with 10rd mags

Question Anyone have problems with 10rd mags

Today I bought a Chip McCormic 10rd mag, and a mag follower wich I have not yet installed in eater of my mags.

I didnt have time to go back to the range yet. So I have been cycling rounds through my 1911 by hand. When cycling by hand, my 7rd is feeding fine (it may be a different story when I cycle rounds by firing)
    The Chip McCormic10rd mag only feeds half way into the chamber. Sometimes I can press the slide forward to seat the round.

Has anyone else had problems with 10rd Chip McCormic mags. Or maybe the gun just needs breaking in?

2. Remove Ads

I'll be honest the only magazine I've had trouble with in my 1911 is a Chip McCormic 8rd. I don't know why, but if the slide is locked back I can over insert this magazine into the gun and lock up the slide when I try to chamber a round. Only magazine I have this problem with, factory mags and my Wilson 10rd mags all work fine no matter how I'm loading them.

A1C Lickey

Never had a problem with CMC mags but i only use the 8 rounders try shoooting it and go from there

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Could or could not be your problem--BUT--I always highly polish and contour the inside of all my mag feed lips. I haven't had a problen with some of the brands of mags that I hear complaints about. I load the mag to full capacity with the last round loaded being black with magic marker. I then check it for unwanted/unnecessary streaking. And/or use the brass and check it with a magnifying glass for deep scratches. Sometime I am very surprised to see how deep the scratches are.--------

Senior Moderator
    gregarat,
    Yep, I've had the problem with 10 round McCormicks you describe. I never got comfortable with them because every now and then they'd do what you described.

You won't like this, but my solution was to buy Wilson Combat 10 round mags. They look like they are better made and better quality. I believe they are. I don't recall having any problems with the 10 round Wilson mags.

Some people tell me that Wilson mags are better, some say that there overpriced and McCormick mags are the way to go.

I did some surfing and found an article stating the very same problem with 10rd. McCormick mags. My guess so far is that some 1911s just dont like them.

I actual have to find the time when I have the day off, and the range is open. My main range is only open on week ends and wednesdays, until 18:00hr.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have two CM 10 rounders and have not had problems with them. In the future I'll be buying Wilson Combat mags as I like their follower better.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Administrator

Added Thoughts & Info

Sometimes what people think is a 1911 magazine problem is actually an extractor related problem.
    Especially with a brand new pistol.
    Since it seems like no factory pistol assembly people want to bother to properly tune a doggone extractor these days.

More often than you think it's not the bullet nose that will not go up the feed ramp & into the chamber - sometimes that is NOT the main problem or the only problem.
    The problem sometimes is NOT the mag feed lips OR exactly when they release the top cartridge.
    OFTEN...it's the rear of the cartridge case that will not slip up into the extractor notch!
    The two feed jams look nearly identical but...one problem is in the front & the other problem is in the rear.
    IDEALLY a properly tuned Colt .45 pistol SHOULD feed mixed magazines of assorted ammo EVEN when the slide is held and run forward and cycled very slowly.
    BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THAT.

You should actually be able to watch the breech face move the cartridge forward in the mag lips & the bullet nose hit & travel up the frame & barrel ramp & the rear of the case pop up into the extractor.
    WITHOUT having to push on the slide.
    This DOES NOT mean that you should just automatically decrease your extractor tension.
    Too much extractor tension might not be causing the problem.
    A too lightly tensioned extractor is not the answer to the problem either & will cause OTHER ejection problems.

The business end of the extractor & its hook & notch need to be shaped & properly configured.

Many factory extractors have TOO MUCH sharp hook that bites into the cartridge brass like a knife & the notch is rough & too sharply beveled at the bottom where the case needs to be able to easily slip up into it.
    Many magazine problems are really extractor problems.

The breech face should also be carefully stoned/polished.

If you don't feel confident that you can do the work yourself then have a pro do a "Reliability Job" on your pistol & tune your extractor.
    It's money well spent.

My 1911 pistols will feed ANYTHING and from the cheapest military surplus mags...which usually cost a Whopping $5.00 each.

Naturally, I carry better quality mags but, my pistols will all feed using Factory Colt or the cheapest surplus mil spec mags.

There is no reason why any Colt 1911 pistol or Colt Clone should not be able to feed exactly the same way.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Well, I have resisted as long as I can. The real problem I have with 10 round mags is they won't hold 15 rounds.

JT
    Dang it, Tangle, you beat me to the punch line.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Dang it, Tangle, you beat me to the punch line.
    Hey, great minds think alike! I just happen to get to it first this time.

Administrator

Post 15 Round Colt 1911 Magazines

Of Course ya know that Mega~Mag makes a 15 Round Single Stack Colt .45 magazine.
    You can almost use it for a "walking stick" it so long though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Not to one up you or anything QK, but during WWI there were 25 round magazines for the 1911. Now those were walking sticks.

A1C Lickey

I did a tention test that I found in 1911 Forum.com. I think your right about there being to much tention, QKshooter. The thread has directions for tuning the extractor, but I feel more confortable paying a smith to do the work.

Here is the link for the extractor test, and adjusting.http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Administrator

Thumbs up That Is Very Good

So many people send their problem 1911 pistols out to to get the frame feed ramp polished and the barrel throat polished & a Full Length Guide Rod Installed & the ejection port lowered & relieved & they are buying $50.00 magazines & (in reality) their ONLY pistol problem is the doggone extractor.

They are spending BIG dollars for Bar~Sto Barrels thinking somehow that an extra expensive barrel will cure all feed related problems.
    They add an extended ejector or buy a ramped barrel & get the frame milled/machined out to cure FRUSTRATING feed related jamming problems.
    Really during feeding the bullet nose barely even touches the frame feed ramp.
    And extended EJECTOR sure does give the cartridge case an extra whack but, really the problem is that the extractor will not let go of the cartridge case properly.
    I don't really want to get into it all but, (in short) the "Dirty Little Secret" is that nearly all 1911 feed and ejection problem can be "cured" by a perfectly fit, contoured, & tensioned extractor head.
    The price or cost of the barrel has little at all to do with feed reliability.
    I hate to think about how many shooters have dumped (at a loss) a perfectly fine Government Model type pistol that refused to feed when the actual problem was an Ultra simple and VERY inexpensive "fix" - Springfield Armory pistols were especially noted to terrible extractor fit (for a while there)
    One thing that you can try is an AFTEC extractor if you want to D.I.Y. your own extractor. Available from Brownell's
    They will not work in series 80 type pistols but, are fantastic for Series 70 & earlier 1911 guns & require very little work to fit to any pistol. They retail for $60.00 though but, last nearly forever.

Many extractor breakage problems result from the extractor not being properly fit and/or the extractor being M.I.M. (metal injected molded) extractors and not Spring Steel extractors.

Focus your attention on an "ill fit or unfit" extractor FIRST if your pistol has feed/ejecton related problems.

Say what you want about the ACCURACY of STOCK military 1911 pistols but, they usually ALL FED & EJECTED without custom ejectors and expensive barrels OR EXPENSIVE MAGAZINES & without extensive aftermarket custom modifications.
    The slide ejection ports were not lowered or relieved and SOMEHOW (as if by magic) that spent brass managed to always make it out of there.
    That is because the military armorers KNEW Exactly HOW to fit a factory stock extractor.

Also...if your ejected brass hits you smack in the face then that is also USUALLY the extractor & it can be cured by radiusing the bottom of the extractor hook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links