Laser Max Internal Guide Rod (P220)

This is a discussion on Laser Max Internal Guide Rod (P220) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone try one? I am considering one for my Sig 220. The only negative I have seen so far is you have to replace the ...

Thread: Laser Max Internal Guide Rod (P220)

Anyone try one?

I am considering one for my Sig 220. The only negative I have seen so far is you have to replace the take-down lever and guide rod and spring with the Laser Max version, and it seems a little problematic.

1. The take-down lever is this grey colored cheapo looking job, and the OEM lever looks very nice (nickel maybe?).

2. The Sig spring is beefy. It is double or triple wound (don't remember which), and the Laser Max is a single wound version. Makes me wonder if you can use the original Sig spring.

So, anyone have any experience with the guide rod version?
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

The reasons you listed were enough to make me buy the Crimson Trace grips. The LM is nice cause you never have to adjust it (I don't think at least), but I had the grips dialed in within a few dozen rounds and it'd held zero since (only 3 months as of yet). Not to mention I've heard the LM lens gets dirty real quick from shooting at the range, granted its just one more thing to clean but when it comes down to it, my 229 has been flawless and I'm sure that it is in part to the quality of parts the folks at Sig use, I plan to keep it that way.

I've got a LM on my SIG 229 .357, and Ive also got the .40 barrel for it. Never had an issue with it, spring does just fine with either caliber.

I don't know about using the stock spring with a LM, but I've never had a problem with the LM spring as stated. LM lever is essentially the same feel, size as stock one, just has a push in switch in the top middle.

Love mine, got a LM for my Glock 27 too.

I got the lasermax for my taurus 99. looks and works fine so far, but, concerns in the same areas you mentioned have druven me to look to crimson trace for my next one

I've always been worried about a fragile laser and the recoil impact. I just did 200 rounds with a LaserMax in a mini .45 Glock 30. Wow! Much more accurate at different distances than my S&W 642 with LaserGrips. The grip version requires zeroing at a specific distance, where the beam and the bullet cross paths. While the POI is not huge in shorter distances, it quickly becomes off at longer ones. With the internal laser, the barrel and the beam are parallel. Of course, you still have to deal with trajectory, but you have to do that with open sights also. The on/off switch for the Glocks is nice, but the version for 1911's (my main carry guns) sucks. It doesn't fit in a well-boned holster and is clunky. If they'd improve that issue, I might consider going with one for my Colt.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator

Just FYI that any factory original parts that ever need to be replaced in order to install a LaserMax unit will spec out as superior or equal to the OEM parts.
    So that should be one concern eliminated.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I've always been worried about a fragile laser and the recoil impact.
    It doesn't fit in a well-boned holster and is clunky. If they'd improve that issue, I might consider going with one for my Colt.

If you're worried about it being fragile... Don't.

I've had one in my 1911 for years now and the only problem I've ever had was getting oil on the front lens and needing to clean it.

And on the holster front... I'm right there with ya'. But I've been talking with Brock at Bluegrass holsters here on the forum :

Linkie : ( I jump in on page two)
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-holster.html

And he is going to put together a prototype of one molded for the lasermax switch. (Hint... if more people ask, I bet it will happen faster... hint. hint..)

oops...

AZhusker, sorry about that... I just realized that you already were in the other thread...

my bad.

via PM's we discussed just glueing a couple of extra replacement switches to a blue plastic gun to make the mold... Looks like we can make that happen :D

Sponsored Links