Grip screw heresy!

This is a discussion on Grip screw heresy! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Posted this earlier today on SigForum. So after much forum research I have discovered that 1) Sig 229 Equinox takes a longer grip screw than ...

Thread: Grip screw heresy!

Distinguished Member

Grip screw heresy!

Posted this earlier today on SigForum.

So after much forum research I have discovered that
    1) Sig 229 Equinox takes a longer grip screw than a regular Sig 229.
    2) The Sig 239 grip screws will, in fact, fit the Sig 229 Equinox wood grips.
    3) Sig 239 grip screws, with shipping, average 3-4 dollars per screw (check it out!). The 229, of course, takes four screws. And
    4) Sig 239 grip screws (never mind Equinox grip screws) are out of stock and on backorder in most of the English-speaking world.

Now the heresy: So, in pulling my hair out trying to get some grip screws for my Sig Equinox grips (I foolishly traded the original grips WITH the screws), the odd thought crossed my mind. "You don't suppose Ace Hardware would carry grip screws?? Nah." I scoffed. What the hey, it's a five minute trip to find out. Guess what? Yes and no. If you get a 4mm hex screw with a .70 pitch you can almost make it work. Take your standard 229 grip screw and line them up together. Add two threads to the longer Ace screw and saw it off. Now run a nut up and down the "new" grip screw or even a file after that if it is still rough. Smooth as silk. No mag catch. Not even a scratch. See attached pics. I suppose for the purist (and, honestly, I understand that too) it's not the same. However, in this economy paying two bucks (includes tax) instead of $16 dollars and NO WAIT seems worth the trade.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by aznav; March 19th, 2008 at 12:39 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have anything whatsoever to add to this thread, I just wanted to nominate it for best title.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

JD
    Administrator
    Reading that made MY head hurt, I can only imagine what Aznav is going through...

Am I the only one that can imagine him talking to himself, muttering and stuttering the words as he was writing that post?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Reading that made MY head hurt, I can only imagine what Aznav is going through...

Am I the only one that can imagine him talking to himself, muttering and stuttering the words as he was writing that post?
    Yeah, JD, methinks that thread was somewhere between my fourth and sixth cup of black coffee.

Aznav
    Chairman
    U.S. Dept. of Redundancy Department

I have done a few of those modifications myself.

I must say, that yours is probably the first Sig I have seen with Allen heads, and I like the look. Maybe its just me, but I think the hex heads have a cleaner appearance than the standard slot head screws. One of my peeves with slot heads is that they usually don't line up. If they all pointed in the same direction, I wouldn't have an issue with them, but they rarely do unless you have paid a smith who pays attention to that kind of detail.

I have seen some big dollar firearms that looked razor sharp, but when you get close enough to really look at it you see one slot head pointing to 11:00 and another pointing at 3:00 and another pointing at 1:30 (if that makes any sense to anyone else but me), and it just looks like someone ran the screws in and didn't care or pay attention to the little things. By going hex, there is no obvious mis-alignment and now the $3000 dollar piece of art looks like it should.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I had the same problem with my standard P229. I went to the local gun shop and they gave me a handle screw and it was too long and caught the mag. So I went to Lowe's and bought the smallest brass washer I could find and put it under the screw. Problem solved.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Hogue makes hex-head grip screws for SIGs, though I don't know for which models. I have them on my P226 right now (standard grips).

Great looking gun, aznav.

Edited to add: Hogue has P239 hex head screws at $4.25 per 2 pack. Furthermore, did you know that Hogue makes toilet seats????
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; March 19th, 2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: More info.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member

A tip

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Now run a nut up and down the "new" grip screw or even a file after that if it is still rough
    BTDT, not on a Sig, however.

Little tip for anyone needing to do it.

Run a nut all the way up to the head of the screw before cutting it. That way the nut (which will act as a mini die to clean up the threads) will be be aligned as you run it down. Starting the clean-up from the cut end can cross-thread.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Edited to add: Hogue has P239 hex head screws at $4.25 per 2 pack. Furthermore, did you know that Hogue makes toilet seats????

They are even heated!!!!!!

I like Hex screws looks better than tradintional slots on a pistol.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Yeah, JD, methinks that thread was somewhere between my fourth and sixth cup of black coffee.

Aznav
    Chairman
    U.S. Dept. of Redundancy Department
    Man, you need to switch to decaf.

Links