Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm. - Page 2

Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm.

This is a discussion on Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rmarkob Knowing you're a 1911 aficionado, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Ruger SR9. Many of the the reviews I've ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Knowing you're a 1911 aficionado, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Ruger SR9. Many of the the reviews I've read and heard compare the "feel" to a 1911 - slim for a double-stack; 1911-like grip angle; thumb safety.

On the minus side, it's new and doesn't have a track record, and the frame is glass-filled nylon (you said preferably steel). Just wondering.
    I've checked them out at the local shop, the grip angle is nice, I found the thumb safety to be lacking, and while on the subject of the thumb safety on the SR9, why is it there? The trigger pull is 6.5lbs, (and feels every bit of it) it's not like it's a 4lbs 1911 trigger, even the Glock is at 5.5lbs. The Sig DAK trigger is 6.5, and I wouldn't want a thumb safety unless it's a C&L gun, granted I don't have to use the thumb safety on the SR9, but as brought up on the XD w/ thumb safety thread, that's one thing that could go wrong, you get use to having the thumb safety off, and the one time you need to draw, the thumb safety has some how gotten engaged.

I didn't have a chance to try the different back straps. I'd have to say the biggest thing that I didn't like about it was the sights, I just don't like 3 dot configurations any more, I've been spoiled by Heinies, Novaks and Big Dots.

Again, going back to my criteria, holster selection and spare mags is limited on the SR9 as well. And as noted, it has no track record, that was what was keeping the M&P off my list, it met almost all of my criteria, after looking at the few issues Lima has had, and the number of issues others have had, those two were a no-go. Someone else can guinea pig the SR9.

After they've been around for a while, and some different sight options become available, and they make a model without the thumb safety I might try one out. If I can find a rental somewhere, I'll be sure to wring one out and see what I think of it.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I just can't see myself buying a 1911 in anything other than .45acp. They just seem to go together hand in hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links