Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm.

This is a discussion on Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So as a lot of people know, I bought a Hi Power from OnTarget1911 . For a long time I've been thinking about changing calibers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm.

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Why I Didn't Want a 1911 in 9mm.

So as a lot of people know, I bought a Hi Power from OnTarget1911.

For a long time I've been thinking about changing calibers for a couple of different reasons as touched on in THIS THREAD

In the thread mentioned above, I've gotten two statements about 1911s chambered in 9mm. One suggesting the Kimber Aegis, and why not just get a 9mm 1911 in general.

So why no 1911s in 9mm for JD?

I was looking for certain requirements in my next carry gun. I wanted the following:

1. 9x19mm
    2. Barrel length no shorter than 4", but less than 5" to maintain good velocity and accuracy, but still being shorter than 5" to clear the holster faster.
    3. Preferably a metal frame, I know polymer is great, and everyone loves the 9mm becuase it recoils less, so why compromise the lesser recoil with a lighter frame?
    4. Capacity of 13 rounds or more.
    5. Consistent trigger, either DAO striker fired, DAK, LEM, or Single Action Only. NO DA/SA. This was to try and maintain some consistency with my current carry guns. No need to try and reinvent the wheel so to speak.
    6. Comfortable grip.
    7. Cost of magazines.
    8. Holster availability.

This pretty much ruled out all 1911s in 9mm. Capacity was either too low, or the bbl was too long, and as stated, I didn't care for the contours of the double stack 1911, and the high cap mags for a Para run about $50.00. That's not to say that I didn't find myself looking at them, but they just didn't fit my criteria in this case.

I do have a single stack 9mm, which is a HK P7, and after refinishing and the arrival of my holsters, it will go into rotation when I want something smaller. If I didn't have the P7, I feel an EMP would have found it's way into the safe, provided that Lima wouldn't lay claim to it.

So now we're going to get into the why I picked "X" over "Y"

The guns I were looking at were:
    Sig 229 (all variants)
    HKP2000 (LEM)
    HKP30
    Glock 19
    Hi Power

I was pretty much set on a Sig 229 SCT and would have converted to DAK.

I didn't like the smaller mag release of the HKP2000 which they fixed on the P30, but the P30 is not going to be available in the LEM configuration, so I started looking elsewhere. That and holster availability is still lacking for the P30.

The Glock 19 is a fantastic tool, but I find that the grip is just a tad too short for my liking.

Up until I saw the thread posted by OnTarget1911, I was pretty much decided on the Sig as finding a Hi Power with my desired options like the Cylinder and Slide components, checkered or stippled front strap, and either Heinie or Novak sights wasn't happening.

Once I saw that it met all of my requirements and all of my "special" wants. I was sold on it.

The caliber, bbl. length, frame material, capacity, trigger, and feel in the hand was all dead on. Even the Sig 229 didn't "fit" my hand the way the stock Hi Powers did. Overall, the Hi Power is pretty close dimensionally to the Sig 229, except that it is considerably narrower.

The Hi Power currently fits all MY needs and wants better than the other options I was exploring.

2. Remove Ads

Good choice! Those are outstanding pistols. Can't go wrong with a Browning designed weapon. I would have chosen one of them too, if I didn't already have a Beretta 92FS. Especially after having a chance to shoot my brothers' HP.

Administrator
    Jess did a beautiful job on that HP. The finish looks like a soft hand rubbed satin finish.
    He is a true pro at that Stipple work too.
    All in all a beautiful custom.
    Congrats! Very nice acquisition.
    Carry & Shoot it in good health!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Good rational thought process. You didn't list common use holsters with your 1911s as another reason to choose the Hi Power. that can save a "boatload" of money.
    I recently purchased an FN Hi Power in .40 S&W and am very pleased.
    Dave

VIP Member
    I'd argue against your choice, if there were any valid counter points to make...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    Good rational thought process. You didn't list common use holsters with your 1911s as another reason to choose the Hi Power. that can save a "boatload" of money.
    I recently purchased an FN Hi Power in .40 S&W and am very pleased.
    Dave
    True, but for extended use I've ordered some holsters made for the HP, I don't want my 1911 IWBs molding themselves to the HP. While the HP does fit, There's still some room and I don't want my 1911 holsters getting "squished."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Looking back on it, what I would like to have seen in a possible selection would be a standard 226 sized SAO X5 from Sig. That probably would have been my choice had it been available. Oh well, maybe Sig will make one next year...

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Very well thought out . I have and carry a BHP in an HBE pancake OWB. They are great pistols. I also picked up a Colt Commander in 9mm just because you don't find alot of them around.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

What a great looking gun...Congrats Sir...You made the right decision. I've got a g19 but I'd throw it over in a minute for that HP.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Thanks. Now I miss my old Hi-Power again.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

VIP Member
    Plus you can use your 1911 holsters for the Hi-Power....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Knowing you're a 1911 aficionado, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Ruger SR9. Many of the the reviews I've read and heard compare the "feel" to a 1911 - slim for a double-stack; 1911-like grip angle; thumb safety.

On the minus side, it's new and doesn't have a track record, and the frame is glass-filled nylon (you said preferably steel). Just wondering.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Knowing you're a 1911 aficionado, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Ruger SR9. Many of the the reviews I've read and heard compare the "feel" to a 1911 - slim for a double-stack; 1911-like grip angle; thumb safety.

On the minus side, it's new and doesn't have a track record, and the frame is glass-filled nylon (you said preferably steel). Just wondering.
    If a leather wrapped steering wheel in a Chevette makes it feel like Corvette, then yes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, JD congrats on your choice.... I can remember a while back reading about ole' John Moses and a statement he supposedly made regarding the Hi-Power and that he had "finally got it right", addressing what he felt were the shortcomings of his 1911 design.

If you took both guns at face value, as they were originally designed, he was absolutely right, except for the caliber. I think, though both designs were progressive and flexible enough to have endured well beyond any other design envelope, and many key components of both guns are still found in every other serious service pistol in the world, even the mighty Glock.

One of these days, I may get me a nice Hi-Power to dress up....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I think that the HP is the ultimate 9mm. It shares the best features with the 1911, and is a reliable work horse, while being a beautiful firearm. I gave the one I had to my dad as he originally gave it to me and I no longer needed it. Wish I had never done that now, but at least Dad uses it on a daily basis.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links