Range report (and a dirty pic)

This is a discussion on Range report (and a dirty pic) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a Taurus PT145 for CCW and took it to the range today for the first time. It handles remarkably well for having such ...

Thread: Range report (and a dirty pic)

Range report (and a dirty pic)

Picked up a Taurus PT145 for CCW and took it to the range today for the first time. It handles remarkably well for having such a short barrel. It is also extremely compact (smaller in length, height, and width than my Rossi .357 snubby) and thusly very easy to conceal. Only put about 100 rounds through it today, but had no problems whatsoever. I'm going to try to put 100 rounds through it each trip to the range, hopefully a minimum of once per week.

I also got to try out the local indoor range for the first time today. I normally frequent the outdoor range run by the county ($2.50 for all day access with 7, 15, 25, 50 and 100 yd lanes ain't to shabby). The indoor range is $15 per hour if you bring your own ammo or $10 if you buy their's. They also rent guns to try, which I'm sure I'll take advantage of when I start looking for a new BUG. The really nice part is that it's air conditioned. That right there is worth the cost!!

Oh, the dirty pic I promised:

And a size comparison:

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - ''dirty pic'' - my a$$

Looks good and actually its proportion are not dissimilar on assessment of the pic, to my Smith SW99 - which is really just a P99.

That also is surprisingly accurate for a shorty and I have considered carry with it but the SIG now does exactly what I want even tho bigger and heavier. The Smith tho is a cinch to conceal and almost goes in a big pocket.

How are the Taurus ergonomics? - my SW99 has an odd mag release and decocker and while it is possible to adapt, not easy to make useage real reflex.

Oh BTW - sure as heck I doubt I have said welcome
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMarshall73
    Picked up a Taurus PT145 for CCW and took it to the range today for the first time. It handles remarkably well for having such a short barrel. (SNIP)
    LMarshall73: How's the recoil from the Taurus? How's the trigger pull? Thanks.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

P95-Thanks for the welcome! The ergonomics are excellent. In the past I have carried 3 Sigs (226, 228, 239), a Glock (23), the Rossi pictured, and, most recently, a 4" XD40 (which I actually traded for the PT145). The Taurus is by far the easiest to conceal (aside from the 239), and, in my humble opinion, is more comfortable to shoot than the XD40 and the Glock. The controls are small enough to stay out of the way, but can still be manipulated without much thought.

srfl-The recoil isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting and is really pretty tame with 230gr FMJ. WWB JHP's stepped it up a notch, but the recoil was still comfortable. There's a bit of slack in the trigger, but the break is nice, crisp, and predictable, and the overall action is smooth.

In all, it's fun to shoot, which isn't always what you find in a CCW platform (particularly in the .357 snubby camp).

Links