Learn me ‘bout Kahrs

Learn me ‘bout Kahrs

This is a discussion on Learn me ‘bout Kahrs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, questions. Again. Searching for a little "date" gun (meaning, something small and discrete compared to my 1911; a gun I can carry for when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Learn me ‘bout Kahrs

So, questions. Again.

Searching for a little "date" gun (meaning, something small and discrete compared to my 1911; a gun I can carry for when I don't feel like carrying a gun or when for whatever reason I can't carry my 1911). I've handled a few small guns, but keep being drawn back to the steel Kahrs. My first experience with Kahr wasn’t exactly positive, but I was drawn to it because of the way it fit my hand.

Short version: The K40 fit great, recoil was too snappy for any chance at a quick and accurate follow-up shot, and the trigger left much to be desired (way too long for me). The CW9 was… bad. Way too skinny to grip very well and someone was nice enough to knock off the sights so they weren’t aligned very well. Not entirely the gun’s fault, but it didn’t exactly fit well. Oh, and I much prefer the steel frame Kahrs over the polymer frame Kahrs.

To borrow Ram Rod’s line, that being said I like the idea of a less-snappy 9mm. I recently learned that I can avoid the NYPD trigger and get a K9 Elite trigger on a non-Elite gun, which is supposed to be quite a bit nicer and have a little shorter pull (but I'm not sure if I could have it added after the fact as an "upgrade"). Since I generally don’t like bright stainless guns, I’m going to call Kahr and see if they can polish the feed ramp on the nickel or matte black K9s (comes standard on the K9 Elite), which are less expensive by a notable amount. Lastly, the K9’s controls are all similarly laid out to the Glock (of which I’m already very familiar) and the 1911 (minus the thumb safety; something I’m growing more familiar with). Manual of arms doesn't change much in use of the firearm.

Does anyone know what the going rate for a Kahr K9 or K9 Elite is these days? Our local shop has the basic K9 (with that NYPD trigger) for $750. Is this a good price for a basic K9 or am I going to have to suck it up and save up?

Thanks,

-B

Love my MK-40! It's a little heavy, but since you like the steel anyway? They're supposed to be more reliable than the PM's. Mines been perfect even brand new, no break-in. Very accurate too. Pics with Andrews pocket holster.

Administrator
    The K9 is a great gun, I highly recommend it. New ones are pricey, $750 is about the norm retail. A lot of times you can find a better deal on the net.

Kahr does and will do some "custom" work at customers requests, they have a price list on their site for such work. All the things you said you might like to have done, they do. Polishing the feed ramp is a super easy job anybody could do themselves though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Budsgunshop.com has a K9 (DLC) for $677 delivered. They also have a K9 Elite for $707 delivered.

Love my MK40. Never had any issues with it whatsoever. Very easy to conceal. I didn't find the recoil to be too bad, and the heaviness of the stainless helped.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickDrawMcGraw View Post
    Budsgunshop.com has a K9 (DLC) for $677 delivered. They also have a K9 Elite for $707 delivered.
    I think I'd spring the extra 30 for the Elite... thats a pretty good deal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good experience with MK9

I've had a MK9 for about 9 months and have put 500 rounds through it with no problems. I bought it slightly used for $500 from the original owner. I carry it inside the waistband at the appendix position (2 o'clock) and it conceals very well. It carries one less round than the K9 (6 vs 7 in magazine) but is easier to hide.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks for the heads-up on Buds, QuickDraw. It never occurred to me to look there, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think I'd spring the extra 30 for the Elite... thats a pretty good deal.
    I was thinking the same; then I wouldn't have to worry about any custom work. Since it's supposed to be the "nice" gun, I suppose I can tolerate it being a brighter stainless color (I prefer darker, matte colors). Either way, I'm looking at a $25 transfer fee and it still comes cheaper than buying a local "normal" K9.

I've handled the MK but they're still a bit small for me. I think the K9 is probably the smallest I'd be comfortable with grabbing in a hurry and with confidence. Still new to the concealed-carry thing.

Pretty gun though; I love the wood grips. Factory or after-market?

Edit: Huh, 'nother question. Does anyone make aftermarket magazines for Kahrs or am I pretty much limited to $40 factory mags?

-B
    Last edited by BAC; March 19th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Pretty gun though; I love the wood grips. Factory or after-market?
    Does anyone make aftermarket magazines for Kahrs or am I pretty much limited to $40 factory mags?
    The wood grips on my Kahr were bought from the Kahr website. They are made of "pau ferro" wood. I don't know of anyplace else to buy Kahr wood grips. On the magazines, the original gun comes with 2 magazines, and the MK9 comes with a flush 6 rounder and an extended 7 rounder. I don't know of any aftermarket manufacturers of Kahr magazines, but I have seen them on sale sometimes at various places.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

Edit: Huh, 'nother question. Does anyone make aftermarket magazines for Kahrs or am I pretty much limited to $40 factory mags?

-B
    BAC, go to Bud's again. I ordered two 7 round mags for my CW9 for $26 each. Had them in 3 days.....

Administrator
    You got to stop posting that pic Pogo, it makes me want to buy another MK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The power of advertising...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You got to stop posting that pic Pogo, it makes me want to buy another MK.
    I cut a deal with Kahr - they give me $10 for every MK I help them sell. I may quit my day job to spend more time at this.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    at this date i only own a couple of Kahrs and both in dreaded plastic . I have a p9 and a pm9 . Both are reliable and accurate ( i can break clays with the pm at 20+ yards ) . I have owned a lot of what kahr offers , and have kept what is best for ME in regards to ccw . IMHO if you can shoot a double action revolver then you just put a slide on it and its a kahr .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'm a Kahr fan as well, but only the steel-framed models. Currently have a T9 & a MK9. Had a P9 & a K40 as well... but wasn't fond of the polymer frame on the first, or the recoil (with hot S&W .40 Cor-bon) in the second. Send an Elite triggered model to Cylinder & Slide for a trigger-job...you'll NOT be disappointed!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

+1 to what ghost tracker said above on having Cylinder & Slide do a trigger job. I have a P9 that had a package done on it - re crown barrel, trigger job, bevel the slide stop, etc. Also had them stipple the grips. Its a fantastic carry gun. Although you all have me thinking about adding a K9 Elite to the arsenal. Love those Kahrs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links