So i see plenty of what TO buy here...

This is a discussion on So i see plenty of what TO buy here... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm waiting to take my CCW course and apply for my permit...in the meantime I'm shopping. I'm looking for a full concealment friendly gun. now, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So i see plenty of what TO buy here...

So i see plenty of what TO buy here...

I'm waiting to take my CCW course and apply for my permit...in the meantime I'm shopping. I'm looking for a full concealment friendly gun.

now, I see plenty of posts recommending many different firearms -- and I'm sure there are plenty out there. I didn't want to post what gun is for me, because nobody here can tell me that :) My post, and question is what SHOULDN'T I be looking at? I know to look for what fits me and what i'm comfortable with, and have an idea, including some sig 226's, khar's, glock's, would love a kel tek but the dealer im going to doesn't carry them (something about he can't carry them in MD?)

So what should i stay away from?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    All of the makes you mentioned are good choices, you will just have to pick one you like. I prefer a 9mm for CCW duties, (and IMO is the best choice for new shooters) but there is nothing wrong with a heavier caliber.
    I do suggest that you stay away from the off brands. Some deals can be had, but you will almost pay more on the back end for parts, holsters etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not new to shooting or firearms, but caliber is something i've not yet considered, hand fitment and ease of concealment are probably going to be my first priorities.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    The first four things that come to mind are:
    Something that appeals to your ego alone
    Something with sharp edges
    Something with nooks and such that can catch on things
    Something with more bells and whistles than you need (for me this meant anything that didn't help the gun go "bang")

Before I found my gun I sat down and listed everything I wanted and everything I didn't, "Pro/Con" style. It helped eliminate quite a few guns that were cool or had neat widgets, but didn't meet my needs in the end. I was a first time buyer, so that list was just what I needed.
    Last edited by lacrosse50; March 19th, 2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: flow
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    The first four things that come to mind are:
    Something that appeals to your ego alone
    Something with sharp edges
    Something with nooks and such that can catch on things
    Something with more bells and whistles than you need (for me this meant anything that didn't help the gun go "bang")

Before I found my gun I sat down and listed everything I wanted and everything I didn't, "Pro/Con" style. It helped eliminate quite a few guns that were cool or had neat widgets, but didn't meet my needs in the end. I was a first time buyer, so that list was just what I needed.
    haha...I read your list and i was like what the hell that makes no sense... then i re-read my own question :)

Good idea with the pro's/con's list. I am pretty comfortable that this purchase although it is my first handgun I'll own in my name, it's far from the last I'll be purchasing :) But when I'll be spending my hard earned cash I want to do anything I can to make sure I don't loathe this one.

VIP Member
    I would recommend you find a range that rents firearms then try as many as you can until you find the one that fits you.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Yeah, I thought someone would read it like that, but I never would have thought it would be you! But yeah, I was strapped for cash and fairly new to the pistol scene after being a rifle nut, plus out of the country for 4 years. So I needed something to get me in the right frame of mind, aka small, concealable, etc.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I'll be a little more forward...a Kimber...a 1911...look 'em over...hold 'em...one or them little rascals will call out your name.

Have fun looking...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You don't mention your experience level with handguns. So I am going to assume you don't have a great deal of experience. With that in mind I would say to stay clear of pistols with a short sight radius. If your learning the basics of sight alignment and trigger control I think it is better learned with a 4" or 5" barrel. These pistols are not that much harder to conceal than a short barrel but are easier to shoot. Good luck with your decision and welcome.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Don't fall for the 1911's made on a South Seas island. Cost might be attractive, but you get what you pay for one way or another. If 1911's are for you, stick with an experienced quality maker...Colt, Kimber, or Springfield.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

What to avoid?

Double stack magazines:

They lure you in with the promise of high capacity, bu then they bite you in the a$$ (literally... physically) because they are so thick. They bite into you when you bend and they "print" like heck because you can never truely hide them.

In my experience a 5 inch 1911 is easier to carry than a glock 26 (a 3 inch barrel, but a double stack magazine) But Your Milage May Very.

And no, I'm not bashing Glocks... I'm personally saving up for a G36 (the one with the single stack Mag).

I would steer clear of anything that is half the price of comparable models. Inexpensive is usually but not always equal to cheap. There are some values to be had but you really need to know what you are looking at to tell the difference. The general rule is you get what you pay for. For example, the Sig P-6s that are being sold now. Most of the early production models are built to the contract spec and are not reliable with hollow points. Swap out the barrel with a commercial P225 barrel ($179 from Sig) and you are fine. But now look at what you have spent. On the other hand, if you find one of the later ones that already has the new feed ramp you got a rock solid pistol for something like $350. Be realistic about what you are buying and why you are buying it. That $2500 Les Baer is a fine pistol, but what will it do for you that a $900 Springfield or Kimber wont? Is that thing it does for you worth another $1600 of your hard earned pay? If it is, you have your answer. If not, time to keep shopping.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    +1 on the fit and function tests. I have to throw my $.02 in here. I own one of those "South Sea Island" 1911's (Rock Island) and it is a charm. It's about the only one from that region worth anything. Having said that, I just bought a loaded (no pun intended) Taurus PT1911. All I can say is WOW! It conceals nicely, functions perfectly and is fun to shoot (was going to say a blast to shoot, but that would have been in poor taste!). I was looking for smaller pistols until AZHusker suggested (and others with more CCW experience) that the 5" single-stack 1911 is CCW-friendly.

The bottom line - get something that fits hour hand, your frame and your wallet. Rent/shoot everything you think fits - one will have your name on it!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Keep an eye out for all of the various safety/decocking mechanisms available on todays guns, some can be quite perplexing for simpletons like myself. Also if you plan on shooting alot, ammo (availability and price) should be considered.

Thanks for the responses. I should've been more clear that I'm not a handgun noob, no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I've fired a decent number of different makes/models in my lifetime. I like the way glocks feel, but good point about single stack mags -- I think this is a great consideration for my first ccw.

While i love the looks of a 1911, i've never fired one, and it just seems too big to carry...But i've seen plenty of evidence onhere that it is not! I have large hands, So a larger frame handgun is probably going to fit me best, whatever I purchase It'll need to be comfortable, dealing with weird ergonomics in a situation where i may need to draw my weapon is not something I want to do :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links