laser or not?

laser or not?

This is a discussion on laser or not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard alot on both sides of the fence about lasers being good or bad. Most people say you learn to depend on them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser or not?

laser or not?

I have heard alot on both sides of the fence about lasers being good or bad.
    Most people say you learn to depend on them to much. If you have been shooting for years and understand your sights what do they hurt?
    Most real life shootouts i have seen is from dash cameras or nearby cameras and a weaver stance is not going to be the best place for you, standing on the x.
    I have seen how well they teach trigger control on new shooters, and shot placement from your back or in a fight in real life encounters.
    When the juices are flowing you tend to look at your target more then your front sight, which is why alot of people practice point shooting.
    So IYO is there more pro's then con's or the other way around.
    I'm thinking about laser grips for my Kimber.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Lead Moderator
    I would say train both with and without the laser on. Some say the laser dot takes longer to acquire than sights. No idea . But I like to practice both with and w/o sights so I can react to a threat no matter the circumstances.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Every pistol I own has them. I like them. I train with them off and on. They help when you do not have the time or space for aimed fire, like from waistline.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Administrator
    Having trained hundreds of people in combat shooting, I have to say that lasers are one of the worst thing you can put on a combat pistol. They do nothing a properly trained and practiced operator cant do on his own.

The selling points of the lasers drive me nuts, they are nothing more than gimmicks used to sell pointless hardware. They are not faster in any condition, they are slower in almost all.

They are useful in training though, I'll admit. They can build confidence when learning to point shoot, and it does give a visual when learning trigger control.

Before its time to hit the street, the training wheels need to come off.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 20th, 2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    The one reason I could see for a laser is in a crowed area; say a church or any place that is crowded. If everyone was in a panic state of mind and running around; you could keep both eyes open and see the laser dot on your target while keeping your eyes on the crowd. That my nickels worth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Personally, I have consider buying one for home defense that I might not want to get my head behind the sights to see that I was pointing at the correct target.

But for regular use - NO.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have to agree with six . In my experience they will actually slow you down and in fact at anything approaching extended ranges can in fact hurt the confidence of the shooter since unimportant little bobbles in the aim during trigger squeeze become all to obvious if one is looking at the dot rather than the sights which most shooters cannot resist. Now if it were uv and only the Instructor had the glasses to make it visible it would be a fine training tool lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

This is one of the few times that I find myself in disagreement with Sixto. Make no mistake about it, I don’t have his training or experience, my observations are strictly as an armed civilian with 40 years of shooting experience and, thankfully, none of that at a human target.

While I don’t believe that lasers can, or should, ever replace the sights on your gun, I can see times when they would be an asset. Point shooting is a lot like wing shooting in that it is difficult to correct your shot placement because you can’t “see” where you missed. Having to fire from a position that either does not allow proper sight alignment or where using proper sight alignment would be dangerous (having to expose you head or body from behind cover) are where I envision that a laser would be a valuable tool. As CCH holders, most of us would never find ourselves in the position of a protracted gun battle that a police officer may find himself in. I would hazard to guess that most situations involving an armed citizen would find no more than 1 or 2 shots fired and at relatively close range. However, should we ever find ourselves in a unique situation where we must fire from cover or an awkward position, we should use any tool available to our advantage. Taking non sight-aligned shots puts innocent bystanders at great peril and the shooter at great liability.

Lasers should never be your primary sighting system and most civilian shooting situations would probably happen so quickly that trying to use a laser may be detrimental to your health, but I can definitely see times when having one would be an asset. I have only one laser mounted on a handgun and it is on my home defense 45. As of yet, I do not have one on my EDC, mostly due to my indecision on a carry gun but since I’m pretty sure I’ve settled on the 239, I may be looking to add one. The tough part is deciding which one. I’m not crazy about the CT Lasergrips since the laser is mounted on the side and thus allow only one distance where it can be aimed accurately for windage. But, I’ve heard of problems with the LaserMax switch and close fitting holsters. I do like the idea of the LaserMax having to be turned on for use instead of coming on as soon as you grip the pistol. This would keep you from coming to rely on the laser instead of your sights in a normal situation. Decisions, decisions.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    You still need to look around the corner to see if your dot is on the target. And in a pistol fight, it will be almost all "un-aimed" fire no matter how good you are or are not.

I also get the feeling that a lot of people who are pro laser are defending their purchase, not its use as a viable piece of hardware.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't like them for daily use, but they are a GREAT training tool for trigger control. My girlfriend was really having problems with her new stubby. I got a set of laser grips and after a week shooting bad guys on TV concentrating on her trigger (it really shows with a laser), she's all in the black now.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have ctc grips on my p220 and I practice with them on everytime I take the 220 to the range because I believe if your gonna have it you should know how to use it. But I believe that you should always rely on your sights as your first option.
    It doesnt matter how small or big your gun is if you dont know how to shoot it accurately.

I bought a CT laser for my Glock home defense gun, which already had night sights. Then I added a Glock rail light. Talk about a pimped out Glock.

I basically agree with Sixto, though. In a self defense shoot out you aren't going to have time to use your sights or the laser. They will both be somewhat useless/a hinderance in that scenario. The laser might even hinder your reaction time more than the sights. Trying to align either of them might waste precious nano seconds that could mean the difference in the outcome.

I have a love/hate relationship with the laser I put on my Glock. I might like it more if I could lock it out until I wanted to use it. Instead it pretty much comes on when you grip the gun, unless you limp wrist it. When all is said and done I could live without the laser, more so than with it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock1911 View Post
    Instead it pretty much comes on when you grip the gun, unless you limp wrist it. When all is said and done I could live without the laser, more so than with it.
    Thats another reason why I think the CT is a bad product.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

CT Laser with M&P

Quote Originally Posted by Glock1911 View Post
    I might like it more if I could lock it out until I wanted to use it. Instead it pretty much comes on when you grip the gun, unless you limp wrist it. When all is said and done I could live without the laser, more so than with it.
    The LaserGrips that fit the full sized M&P's have a disable button below the activation button. I can train with the laser enabled and disabled very easily. I carry with it enabled.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Thanks for the input guys. I don't need them. For the same money I will just buy 1k more rounds to put thru it. That will be a better investment and more fun!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links