To bob or not to bob?

This is a discussion on To bob or not to bob? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a S&W 65-3 used. Probably an ex-FBI carry issue. The gun is in great shape except for a few nicks along ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To bob or not to bob?

To bob or not to bob?

I just picked up a S&W 65-3 used. Probably an ex-FBI carry issue. The gun is in great shape except for a few nicks along the edges.

The trigger has a great DA pull. Possibly the best I've ever felt. The SA pull is scary, though. Hair trigger, if there ever was one.

I'm thinking of having the hammer bobbed so that it can only be shot in DA mode. Maybe just pulling the stock hammer to save it and having a replacement hammer bobbed. The DA pull is really that nice!

I bought this gun originally for a home defense gun for my wife, but the DA pull is so nice I might be tempted to adopt this revolver for concealed carry. Having the trigger bobbed makes even more sense when I take this fact into account.

If a home defense/self defense scenario presented itself, I don't think I would even want the option of using this gun in SA mode. When the adrenalin is pumping this trigger could be more of a liability than an advantage. Just breathing on it might be dangerous.

Any thoughts from the masses on this? Would you have the hammer work done, or have the single action trigger pull adjusted?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Were it me i would replace the hammer with a dedicated dao hammer . Whatever you do dont simply have the spur cut off the existing hammer as that will leave you with a pistol which may be cocked and no safe way to decock .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I would change the hammer for a dao. I feel its always good to keep the orignal parts in there original condition if possible.
    It doesnt matter how small or big your gun is if you dont know how to shoot it accurately.

Why give something up to no real purpose? I'd leave it alone so single action capability remains intact. There's nothing wrong with the outstanding and justly famous Smith & Wesson single action trigger. Hammer spur snagging is overblown too. It's no trick to cover the hammer with the thumb while drawing. Long time revolver toters know what I mean.

Only my point of view but it's amazing to constantly read, in print or on forums, of a defeatest attitude regarding any trigger (handgun only mind you) that supposedly requires more thought or is reputed to be more difficult to manipulate or control under stress than all these DAO handguns whether they be revolver or automatic. No one wants their rifles or shotguns to have a trigger pull like a DAO handgun. I loathe DAO and avoid it as much as possible, P3AT excepted, but that's only because there's nothing else like it out there ('cept the newest Ruger .380) and I only carry it when nothing larger can be accomodated.

I don't trust myself to...
    I might not be able to do it when...
    It seems so unsafe to...
    It has to be simple for me so...

Some folks just need a little starch in their drawers and a little practice under their belts.

I really have considered all the hoary old arguments for DAO but just don't see it.

This is only my opinion and is certainly contrary to the conventional wisdom of today.

Just bobbing the hammer on a double action does not make it a DAO pistol. You will still be able to cock the gun. Like Redneck said, then you have no way to safely lower the hammer on your pistol.

Also take off too much weight from the hammer and you may have ignition problems.

Have the entire gun converted to DAO only which I believe involves a new sear as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Why give something up to no real purpose? I'd leave it alone so single action capability remains intact. There's nothing wrong with the outstanding and justly famous Smith & Wesson single action trigger. Hammer spur snagging is overblown too. It's no trick to cover the hammer with the thumb while drawing. Long time revolver toters know what I mean.
    I really have considered all the hoary old arguments for DAO but just don't see it.

This is only my opinion and is certainly contrary to the conventional wisdom of today.
    Amen...And the last thing I'd do is saw a hammer spur off. Throughout the years I've pocket carried some guns but never felt the need for having a DAO revolver.

I like the DOA only hammer replacement idea. Numrich offers a DOA replacement hammer. Think that's the way I'll go. I'm kinda contrary, too, whenever the starch in my drawers gets mentioned.

Sorry, no offense intended. I really wasn't intending to refer to the starch in your particular drawers. Just an over-generalization on my part. I know plenty of folks, up close and personal, who affect to DAO designs and can shoot the hooey out of 'em and do it far better than I can. I don't want to torment myself with DAO when there are great handguns out there that have wonderful single action triggers. Give me Colt or Smith & Wesson revolvers, 1911's and Hi-Powers. Might consider some of the good SA/DA automatics. The SIG P220 comes to mind.

There are quite a few pistoleros out there however who appear to fret excessively about their ability to use anything "more complicated" under stress and they hold this up as some sort of special insight on why the DAO handgun is indisputably the superior design; a notion I ain't buying. Only thing is, one can almost hear the whine in their voices when listening to them or reading in their posts such phrases as:

I don't trust myself to...
    I might not be able to do it when...
    It seems so unsafe to...
    It has to be simple for me so...

If a person takes comfort in the concept of DAO then it is a worthwhile development in the handgun world. It's another option for those who see its value.

I have bobbed every snubby I ever owned. I never had any kind of problems and never a regret. if I wanted to shoot it, I pulled the trigger.
    I would not do it to a target gun that I might want to shoot slow fire and precise at the range, but any other gun I would not hesitate.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of DOA revovles like my 442...but that gun is small and finds its way into pockets and on my ankle where a hammer is a liablilty...on a 65, in a good hip holster, drawing it should pose no problem with a hammer...I'd leave it alone...and at the range, the single action will add to your pleasure.

Putting a new hammer in will change the feel of the DA you love so much. Bobbing (unless someone skeletonizes it for you) will not create a problem. The SA notch on the existing hammer can be removed in about 5 minutes with a file.

You're looking at about the same amount of smithing for either option- either making a new hammer "mesh" with the current trigger hook, or bobbing and cutting the existing hammer.

Personally, I would deepen the SA notch a hair, and keep it as-is. Just me...

i am not as bright as our other posters but I say leave the pistol alone. Why? Most shooters do not even know how to shoot a D/A correctly. These shooters say they are shooting D/A but in fact they are staging the trigger and that is dangerous. Rather than bob the hammer, why not spend the money on ammo and learn how to pull the trigger as it was meant to be by pulling it straight through? Regards, Richard

I bobbed the hammer on my SP101. I wanted SA ability for working up loads but didn't want any snagging problems with the hammer. As a single action revolver shooter for 40 years, lowering the hammer didn't concern me.

If you check out the Ruger with the transfer bar system, you'll see that, after pulling the trigger and releasing it when the the hammer is at full cock, if the hammer slips from your grip, the trasfer bar is out of position and the gun will not fire (never say never). Of course, when I do this, I'm at the range with the gun pointed safely down range.

I'm thinking about buying a CZ75B which you can carry cocked and locked for SA mode or with the hammer down for DA first shot. The ring hammer will be easier to control when lowering and I'm not sure whether it would fire if your fingers slipped. I'll know more if I buy one.

Bottom line: of course you must be careful when decocking (or handling) any gun.

Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    I bobbed the hammer on my SP101. I wanted SA ability for working up loads but didn't want any snagging problems with the hammer. As a single action revolver shooter for 40 years, lowering the hammer didn't concern me.

If you check out the Ruger with the transfer bar system, you'll see that, after pulling the trigger and releasing it when the the hammer is at full cock, if the hammer slips from your grip, the trasfer bar is out of position and the gun will not fire (never say never). Of course, when I do this, I'm at the range with the gun pointed safely down range.

I'm thinking about buying a CZ75B which you can carry cocked and locked for SA mode or with the hammer down for DA first shot. The ring hammer will be easier to control when lowering and I'm not sure whether it would fire if your fingers slipped. I'll know more if I buy one.

Bottom line: of course you must be careful when decocking (or handling) any gun.

Cloudpeak
    Lowering the hammer on a CZ75 is about its only weak spot, other than this, they are a great pistol. Lastly, the CZ75 was even greater when you could buy one for $250-$350, now they cost the big bucks. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Putting a new hammer in will change the feel of the DA you love so much. Bobbing (unless someone skeletonizes it for you) will not create a problem. The SA notch on the existing hammer can be removed in about 5 minutes with a file.

You're looking at about the same amount of smithing for either option- either making a new hammer "mesh" with the current trigger hook, or bobbing and cutting the existing hammer.

Personally, I would deepen the SA notch a hair, and keep it as-is. Just me...
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but I thought the hammer and trigger were the sear contact points on a Smith. Changing the hammer should change the trigger break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links