Wheel Gun or Auto.....why?

This is a discussion on Wheel Gun or Auto.....why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, make my cliche. Well, what is it? Wheelies or bottom feeders? Maybe both? One of each you say?! 'Splain........

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Gun or Auto.....why?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

Okay, make my cliche. Well, what is it? Wheelies or bottom feeders? Maybe both? One of each you say?!
    'Splain.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I like both but I carry autoloaders a lot more. I have been known to carry a four inch M65 Smith from time to time.

A good snub nose wheelie is probably going to be my next handgun purchase since I have gotten kind of old school here lately. (1911 and M1 Garand)

I like the fact that they go bang everytime I pull the trigger. I like that the .357mag is a great defense round. I don't like being limited to 5 or 6 rounds and I don't like slow reloads.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member
    I'm waiting for Biker to check in. He just loves those autos...
    Last edited by aznav; March 21st, 2008 at 02:59 AM.

both, sometimes one, sometimes the other, just depends on what I'm wearing, where I'm going and whether I feel like all that "extra weight"

(my DR asked me if I smoked today - I deny any tobacco use other than this forum's smileys)

She did not ask about firearms though...
    Last edited by MR D; March 21st, 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: my Dr asked me if I smoke today

I learned to shoot with a wheel gun, and wheel guns are still what I shoot for fun.

My EDC is a bottom feeder, primarily since it more than doubles my in-gun round count.

I carry'em both. I prefer light snubbies in wheelguns, they are just so easy to conceal. The grip profile is very small and doesn't print. They are always guns. I've been thinking about picking up another airweight and doing the ol "new york" reload. If I am wearing a cover garnment or jacket, I almost always carry an auto. You just can't beat their capacity and quick reloadabilty. For me though, an auto is not always practical.

Semi-auto pistols for me (to be politically correct). One and all. I've had the revolvers in the past, and enjoyed them too. I guess I no longer favor them for two main reasons---and I'm not wanting to start a debate over 'concealability' here because I know alot do well with the revolver. Thing is, I like to stay up-to-date, and with the current technology. I wouldn't say magazine capacity had anything to do with it, but I'd be lying. In the 45acp, I'm still going with one or two over what a wheelgun would dispense, and I don't mind one bit. One or the other, or both----they have their pros and cons. In my opinion it's a personal choice once again because I figure the pistol or the handgun (proper terms), are equal on all accounts except the available capacity. That being said (this month's favorite saying) I interface well with the semi-auto pistol. I will say this though, and I've been there. There is no equal to showing a 5 3/4" barreled chrome or stainless revolver in the heat of the moment, or the BG being able to see the four out of six or so JHP's ready, willing, and able on the wings. Each has their place in the hearts of men, and I'd never suggest the revolver was 'old-fashioned'. That's what this country was built on, and the legends should always continue. Again---each has it's own 'powers' to convey, and it's the wizard that wields them that makes a difference in their effectiveness or power. Power? What more than the powers over life and death? Surely one cannot make a debate over that. Equally effective as one or two shots should yield the expected outcome. It's in the wizard's hands.

Administrator
    Well, according to GUN TV revolvers are making a big comeback.
    I'm not sure they ever left.
    I usually carry a semi-auto in .45acp because that is what I am most comfortable with.

BAC
    I'm most familiar with autos, but in my very limited experience with revolves I'm almost as accurate as I am with the autos and with a lot less trigger time. I like 'em both, but will probably continue carrying autos.

-B

Semi's have the ability to not feed completely, stovepipe, jam in some way and under stress you need to know how to handle your weapon and handle it quickly.

My wife doesn't shoot much so if she goes on a road trip alone, I always give her a revolver to take with her because if it doesn't go bang, she just needs to the pull the trigger again and it will. No stress, nothing to think about...simplicity.

I carry semi, but I have had training in the military and several other sources over many years. I will resolve my issue and go bang a lot quicker cause I have been trained for it.

The number of rounds available is better in a semi. There is no amount of typing that will explain all of the possible scenarios a person with a CCW might ever come across in their lifetime. Give yourself the best fighting chance for that once in a life time scenario and choose what makes you feel safer.

Bottom line, know your weapon and how to handle all the possible failures you could encouter.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, according to GUN TV revolvers are making a big comeback.
    I started a thread about this very thing a few months ago... Gun TV must read the forum!

I prefer the auto's, simply because that is what I have been trained with since day one. I cant shoot a revolver worth a darn compared to autos... I've been meaning to fix that problem though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry IWB and the width of a wheelie would be a problem. Also, you're usually limited to five or six rounds. IMO when it's possible to carry two weapons the best setup is two autos. I'm really not concerned about reliability but the second weapon is very comforting.

wheelgun , why ? hardly ever does it jam ....

Revolver.

Greater dependably from shot to shot.

I'd be surprised if the revolver made a comeback with handgun shooters in this day and age.

I shoot well with a DA revolver, but nothing points and carries like a 1911.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links