Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking and thinking about a Ruger LCP for a while now. I was one of those who said I'd never put the money ...

Thread: Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP

I've been looking and thinking about a Ruger LCP for a while now. I was one of those who said I'd never put the money down for a Kel-Tec or something I consider to be less than reputable. So up till now I've been carrying a Kahr CW9 for everyday carry in a comp-tac minotaur holster. I gotta say thats a pretty sweet set-up that doesn't cost too much, and is life-saving reliable.

Well summer is coming up and I like to wear shorts. I also prefer that nobody knows I am carrying. So when I started reading about the LCP I got pretty interested. Like most people I've been put off by Ruger's foray into the semi-auto market (other than the Mark I-IV series), but I would trust my life to their revolvers. However the LCP was just too good to pass up.

I went to my local dealer about a month ago and started harassing them about the LCP. Finally after they saw it at the shot show, they acknowledged its existence and told me they had 6 on order. I asked to be notified when they got the first one in so I could go down to buy it. Last week they told me they had 1 and I told them I would be there within 15 minutes to buy it.

By the time I got there it had already been handled by 4 or 5 others and they all expressed interest in the gun. Well I put my money down ($279) and walked out with the LCP. I got home read the manual and realized I don't have any .380 auto ammo. So back to the store, 200 rounds of independence .380 90 grain FMJ and 1 box winchester SXT 95 gr, 1 box of Speer Gold Dot 90 gr, and another box of personal protection 90 gr ammo. Set me back 109 dollars, over a third of the cost of the gun for 260 rounds of ammo.

Finally took it up to the range yesterday, it was cold and snowing but still an okay day to try out the new gun. I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds 10 times using the bulk independence. No failures to fire, feed, or eject, The gun handled flawlessly. Not only that its accurate! I certainly didn't expect the groups I was getting from the tiny barrel and the minimal sights. Granted the barrel flips a bit and it takes longer to get back on target than my all stainless sig P226 but the thing shoots where you point it.

I did groups from 10 feet to 20 yards and was able to hit where I was aiming every time. Most of the groups were within 2-3 inches total spread, including the group of rapid fire. The gun was accurate enough that it would be easy to pass the qualification course for my department with it.

I took the ruger home, broke it down and cleaned it. Very impressed with the lack of wear and the solid appearance of the internals. Ruger impressed the heck out of me with this one, and the next one I see for sale will head to the safe as a backup backup.

2. Remove Ads

I'm very interested in reliability reports on the LCP. Thanks for your review. I'm thinking of this for a replacement for my p3at.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I picked one up Tuesday night, and shot it last night for the first time. Like yours, mine shot flawlessly, I am very happy with the purchase. I put money down on it to get it, paid 299 for mine.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Thanks for the reports.

If these kinds of reports keep coming in, I may have to consider buying one.

And for the amount of rounds youíve fired, I am sure itís a safe enough pocket gun.

I for one consider a pocket gun as something you carry all the time, and seldom shoot, other than to make sure it still goes bang.

Right now I own a P3AT 2nd generation and a NAA 25-NAA and neither one of them have ever jammed. But, then again, Iíve never fired more than a box of ammo through them.

Thanks for the review. I am also looking into one shortly for summer carry.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I got home read the manual and realized I don't have any .380 auto ammo.
    Well, there's a <homer>"DOH!"</homer> moment.

(not so) Patiently waiting for the one I ordered.........

I just got back from the range with mine. I brought 170 rounds of assorted ammo with me. 100 FMJRN that I had loaded in '96, but never got around to shooting. 50 Remington Express JHPs and 20 Federal PD Hydrashocks.

I had intended to shoot them all, except a couple magazines of the Hydrashocks, so I would have something left. I only eneded up shooting 100, when all was said and done, due to somewhat of a bite on my trigger finger from the recoil. This is definitely one that you don't want to shoot all day. Maybe it's just me and my somewhat large hands.

Anyway, the LCP ate everything I fed through it with no reliability issues at all. I was able to get tight groups at 10 yards, with a couple of not very severe fliers, out of each magazine. I was able to stay on the paper at 25 yards, but the groups weren't very tight. I have a little bit of a hard time not pulling to the right when sqeezing the trigger, due to the length and weight of the pull.

Out of the 3 ammo types, I think the Remington Express JHPs shot best out of mine.

I think the biggest problem I had with it was the miniscule front sight. A little bit of sight paint on the front should help there.

All and all, I would say this is a very decent pistol for its intended purpose. I don't think I would use it as a primary EDC, but it would be nice if you were wearing summer clothes and wanted something easy to hide. I would not be worried about it going bang every time.

I agree, it is hard on the hands, but not meant as a range practice gun. Mine is a keeper, and will be my buddy all summer!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

You know...many who own the P3AT, myself included, have the same range results as stated above. Sure...clean it...lube it...and take it straight to the range and fire it...no problem. Actually loves the Corbon DPX which is my carry in it.

That is not the real test I want.

What I want, is a real world test: Carry the Ruger for a few days in you pocket holster, whatever brand or make...then, next time you go to the range, pull it out and fire the carried magazine. Now...if I try this with the Kel Tec...I usually get a jam on the second round. I'm not sure if the lube wears off...or the action picks up dust bunnies from the pocket or whatever. Bottom line: it is not reliable after a few days...weeks carry. That is why I prefer a S&W 642 revolver in my pocket.

Now...try that test with your Ruger...if you find no malfunctions...and you determine that it is "carry" reliable, well then, I'll just have to replace my P3AT.

Good point. As soon as I get a holster for it, I'll give your test a try.

Links