How Do You Tame Recoil on a S&W 642??

This is a discussion on How Do You Tame Recoil on a S&W 642?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a 642 15oz. S&W in .38+p a few days ago and finally got the chance to fire this lil sucker. It has alot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Tame Recoil on a S&W 642??

Question How Do You Tame Recoil on a S&W 642??

I bought a 642 15oz. S&W in .38+p a few days ago and finally got the chance to fire this lil sucker. It has alot more recoil than I thought it would. Being an aluminum frame I knew it'd kick but not this much. I'm sure some is the grips on the factory model hard rubber with checkering, and those puppies do dig in a little. My question is would a set of Crimson Trace grips help with recoil? I know the hard polymer type I think Defender is the name wouldn't do much, but the other kind made of rubber may be better. I'm also open to your suggestions as always. Yhanks for any help.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Rubber grips will help, as would just plain ole bigger grips will too. I dont think the CTC will help much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What round were you firing?

Sixto you're almost always the first guy here to fire some good info, always look forward to hearing your .02 worth in fact you and a few other are what made me look into the S&W j frame rather than the model 85 Taurus. What would you think about these type of CT grips they supposedly have a recoil dampening property. Whether it works or not I'll have to do some checking.
    Natchez Shooters Supplies - Crimson Trace Lasergrips Products -
    Crimson Trace Lasergrips

Oh and by the way I'll want to keep the grips as small as possible I'll be mostly be pocket carrying in a RKBA holster that'll be here any day now. I'm also looking into Bluegrass OWB holsters they look very compfy and easy to hide.
    Last edited by Hoozyerdaddy; March 21st, 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added a paragraph
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Administrator
    If you want the laser, thats they way to go... if you want something to tame recoil, I think there is far better and less expensive options.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Shoot Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in .38 cal.

Also, I have CT LG-405 Laser Grips. They have a cushion on the back of the grips that really help with the recoil....and you get the benefit of a real nice laser for low light, fast target acquisition.

I have them on a S&W 360 and with Speer Gold Dot 135 grain SB rounds (in .357 mag), the recoil is not oppressive.

The rounds were just cheapies Ultramax brand once fired reloads they were standard not +p and I'm pretty sure they're 158 grain. Can't be positive as it's not printed on the boxes.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I use the Pachmayr Compac grips on my 642 and 640 .357. On my 60 .357 3inch I use the Grippers. The soft rubber really takes the sting out of the light guns.
    One problem with grips larger than the factory is that you will have to trim the Compac grips on the left side if you want to use a speed loader.

Welcome to Pachmayr

Regards,
    Jerry

Just hold on tight and enjoy the ride. Recoil control is just mind over matter. I don't have them but I have heard the CT LG-405's help a little bit.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Those are exactly the same rounds I have coming from Ammoman.com just made the order 2 days ago. I figure with the training fodder making a nice sting after just 20 rounds the quality stuff would be a real blip to shoot accurately. As for other cheaper kinds of grips would you mean something like the Pachymar grips?

Hoozyerdaddy, I own the smith 340pd model which is lighter and a .357mag. I mostly shoot .38 through it though even my defensive ammo most of the time is .38+p loads which as far as felt recoil are not that much different from the magnums. I have the softer rubber CT grips and I did not notice a huge difference but I did notice some. The only thing to remember when carrying and this is what I have noticed as well the soft rubber does have a tendency to catch on clothing and it wears/tears with use and time. The top back strap of my CT grips have started to fall apart from use. I can attest to the recoil as the 340pd is even a little lighter then your 642. Most of it is gonna be muscle memory development and also just getting used to it. I usually only put about 25-50 down range when I go to the range and I also usually shoot it first then shoot my semi auto. Best of luck to you and congrats on a fine pistol.

Side note: In case you are wondering I usually carry it in desantis nemesis holster. If it is the only I am carrying then I am using a Sig 239/Glock 30 bianchi model 100 professional ITP holster. I also carry small of back galco and ankle galco holster as well depending on the sit.

kpw
    I use the stock grips because they conceal so well without grabbing clothing. I grip as high on the backstrap as I can. The web of my hand is above the grip at the top. It keeps muzzle flip down and makes it easier to roll through the trigger pull. Most people I watch shooting the little j-frames don't let their hand grip above the stocks. Give it a try.

The 642CT comes with model 305 laser grips from the factory. The do a great job of taming some recoil. My girlfriend has no problem with factory +P's.

BUT...$220? I gave $435 for the gun with grips.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Hoozyerdaddy, "...would a set of Crimson Trace grips help with recoil?" Absolutely, you will hardly notice the recoil as all of your attention will be on following the red dot as it dances around the target. The entertainment will increase with each round of +P you fire. In other word, J-frames in 38 +P or 357 Mag are not my cup of tea. Why? The damned things kick like a mule! Regards, Richard

I have the CTC grips and they are supposed to take 30% off the recoil. They protrude up the back of grip so they do help.
    I found that you need to make a couple of range visits to get use to the recoil and become more accurate. I remember using it the first time was not fun.
    Carry ammo...DPX 110gr+P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links