So I think I want a Glock 23...

This is a discussion on So I think I want a Glock 23... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to ye olde gun shoppe today with my Dad and two Uncles since they had some gift certificates to this shop. The owner is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I think I want a Glock 23...

So I think I want a Glock 23...

Went to ye olde gun shoppe today with my Dad and two Uncles since they had some gift certificates to this shop. The owner is VERY nice, and loves to shoot the bull with his customers. Great store :)

In any case, I'm going for my CCW, taking the class in a week or so and then taking the home defense course the first time it's available in about a month.

I've been reading tons of posts on these forums and seen pictures of something I might like, the Springfield XD45's really caught my eye as being a nice looking firearm, and i've always liked sig's.

Well he had both, as well as some Rock Island 1911's, and several different model Glocks.

So far the Glock 23 seems to both fit my hand, and offer the kind of stopping power I would like to carry (I think I'd like at least a .40, possibly .38) However they did have a G27 .40 and a G26 9MM. I like the small size, and the subcompacts actually fit in my hand fine, and seem like they'd be easier to conceal. However the reduced capacity, and lack of an accessory rail are turn offs for me. They had a light attachment and it was very easy to flick on for brief seconds while attached to the gun. I actually liked the G26 and G27, the lack of a pinky support was odd at first but I got used to it quickly and was able to tuck it under as added support. It lacks a rail though and I would like the option of a light attachment.

It was also called a Mod 23, whereas all the other models had G23 G26...is Mod just short for Model?

I'm posting because my initial list I had written out (as suggested by some here) was that for my CCW which I plan to mostly carry IWB, would have to be a single stack magazine...He didn't have any (other than a Glock 36 .45 which was the same thickness if not thicker than the G23. Will I gain much thin-ness by finding a firearm that fits my hands AND is single stack? I have larger hands, so finding a thinner gun, and one that fits easily into my hands is somewhat difficult.

I plan on making it out to a range that rents firearms locally and seeing what they have to test fire, my previous experience with G17's was great...loved the way it handled, especially compared to my S&W model 39.

2. Remove Ads

look into Kahr then...

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I've had a glock 23,19,and 27 along with a sig 239. Man all of them are awsome guns. When I get some more money I'm going to get a nother 23 since I sold mine. Now I carry a Glock 19 and a taurus 85. I've never been hung up on the whole caliber BS, but thats another story. Good luck on your pick and have fun with your class.

heck, do like I have done. Get one of each ! glock and a kahr
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    heck, do like I have done. Get one of each ! glock and a kahr
    One at a time :) This will most definitely not be my last handgun purchase!

The 23 and 36 are effectively the same size, just a matter of choice of 6+1 in .45 or 13+1 for the 23 in .40S&W. I've owned both and the 23 wins for me between the two. That being said, my 27 goes far more places due to its slightly smaller size. If you are looking for thin, Kahr's are definately worth a look, maybe a PM45. Sounds like you are on the right track though. Good luck with your choice.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

If you like the small ones, consider a Model 30. Eleven rounds of .45 in a small package, plus it has a light rail.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carry a G23 all the time. It sits on my right hip as I write this in fact.

I can not recommend the Glock 23 highly enough. I love mine. It is accurate. It holds a good number of rounds. The mags are inexpensive. And the gun works every time I use it.

I wear mine when I ride my bicycle in the summer for exercise. I rode 50 miles one day last summer when the temp was around 105. After I got home and stripped off my tank top, I literally shook sweat out of the gun. A lot of sweat in fact. I striped the gun, gave it a light cleaning and wiped it down with a silicone gun rag, and it is fine. No rust. Not pitting. No nothing. Try that with any other gun, I dare you.

The G23 is the one for me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thoughts about Glock 23

I have a Glock 23 but also own many other brands and models of handguns, so I don't believe that I have any emotional attachment to the G23 and can be impartial about it. Like any other CCW candidate, it has both strengths and weaknesses. I'd say the big strengths are:

1. Very reliable and durable gun that will work under adverse conditions.
    2. The .40 S&W is a significant defensive caliber that will do its job well if you can shoot it accurately.
    3. The G23 has a very high capacity (13+1) to weight (22 ounces empty) ratio, so it gives you more pure firepower than almost anything of the same size.
    4. The gun is fairly thin and small in dimensions (about 1.0 inches across the slide) so it conceals pretty well.
    5. It is priced quite fairly, about $500 or slightly more.
    6. Lots of holster choices are available on the market.

On the negative side, I have noticed:
    1. The grip is a little blocky and uncomfortable, compared to some alternative guns.
    2. The trigger, with the small safety lever on it, can rub your trigger finger and make it sore after a box or two of ammo.
    3. Some people object to the larger grip angle of the Glock compared to most guns (it doesn't bother me,however)
    4. The G23 has fairly strong muzzle flip and recoil.

I should say that I don't generally carry the G23, but it has been my bedside gun for several years and I trust it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Go shoot a Springfield XD before you make a choice.

Glock's are fantastic weapons... I just purchased my third this past weekend at a local gun show at the state fair grounds. The G23 (compact Glock) is a fantastic size to capacity and stopping power gun. I think they are excellent size gun for year round carry. That being said I've added a subcompact Glock to my collection to give me one more option to carrying more.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

If you are recoil sensitive at all, I'd recommend shooting the G23 before you buy. The .40 is a pretty snappy round and the G23 is a rather light pistol. The G19 is another good way to go if you want to save money on ammo and have less recoil. They are the same size, but you squeeze 2 more rounds into the G19.

I have both and a 9mm conversion barrel for my G23. Imo, the best two CCW handguns on the market overall.

I'd also recommend getting a 3.5 pound connector for it. Makes the trigger a lot better.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Administrator
    I came here to say the same thing as Sammy. I'd hold off on the 3.5 connector for a little while though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The Glock anything is a great weapon, but so is the XD. I personally really like the additional safety on the XD. Shoot them both at a local dealer and maybe a few others.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    The Glock anything is a great weapon, but so is the XD. I personally really like the additional safety on the XD. Shoot them both at a local dealer and maybe a few others.
    You know I'm glad you brought this up...i was slightly concerned with the lack of an additional safety. Now I know...I wouldn't trust my life on a safety, but having a small extra measure of security would be nice :)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links