Help me choose a pistol!

This is a discussion on Help me choose a pistol! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been a wheel gun guy for some time. Carry a either Ruger Speed Six, or a S&W K frame. A friend gave me a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a pistol!

Help me choose a pistol!

Have been a wheel gun guy for some time. Carry a either Ruger Speed Six, or a S&W K frame.

A friend gave me a S&W sw380. Really like the size, but looking for something more than .380, and other than this particular S&W.

What do you recommend in 9mm, .40 cal, or 45 cal., near the same size, and less than $600, new or used.

2. Remove Ads

XD-9, new or used.

But my real recomendation would be to go to a range and rent a bunch of guns. Some people just can't shoot certain guns. Don't take any of our word's for it, handle as many guns as possible.

I would recommend 9mm due to ammo expense if you plan on practicing regularly. Either that or get into reloading.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Used Kimber Compact .45acp. Stainless if possible. Compact officer's frame with a 4" bull barrel.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

That’s a broad question and many are going to recommend their favorite gun.

I agree with Kerbouchard, go to a range and rent a bunch of guns. It will be fun and you will have a better chance finding something that fits you, then do searches and ask for opinions in here to find out more info.

This place is a wealth of information.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I have to agree with AZ Husker on this one. Any Commander or Officer size 1911, inexpensive ones are out there, I saw a used Springfield officer in great shape at Cabelas the other day for $399.00.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Plan to go to the range and rent several. I have high respect for the opinions here, it is a wealth of knowledge.

Wasn't entirely truthful in origional post. Inherited a early 1940's Walther P-38, fired very few times and in great shape, but not too condusive to concealed carry.

Kahr PM9 or PM40

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    A friend gave me a S&W sw380. Really like the size, but looking for something more than .380, and other than this particular S&W.

What do you recommend in 9mm, .40 cal, or 45 cal., near the same size, and less than $600, new or used.
    The S&W 380 is a very small gun, about 14 ounces empty with a 3 inch barrel and one inch wide slide. It was introduced in 1995, has a polymer frame and has been out of production for quite a while.

There are only a few guns in 9mm or larger that are that small. The best known is probably the Kahr PM9 or PM40, a 16 ounce gun (empty) with 3 inch barrel and a 6 round magazine in 9mm, or 5 rounds in .40. You can probably buy one for about $600. It is almost the same size as your S&W 380.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Might take a look at the CZ RAMI P 9mm, comes with 1 10 round mag and 1 14 round mag. priced around 500.00

Without you mentioning what you need out of this gun it is a shot in the dark in pointing you in the right dirction.

Very concealed - Kel-Tec PF9 9mm
    Moderately Concealed - Glock 26/27
    Concealed - Any Compact Glock or other similar sized

My opinion is that it is hard to beat a Glock for it's reliability & reputation, but there are several brands that will make a great carry gun. Like another poster stated - you are going to get eveyone's favorites. So shop around and find your perfect gun. Make sure you get the right gun to do the job you want. Don't get a full size Glock if you need your carry gun to be concealed under a tucked in dress shirt.

Glock 19 or 26 (compact or sub-compact 9mm's).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

IMHO....

Go to the range and fire/feel/fondle several. find the largest caliber that you can shoot comfortably and accuratly, then find the most comfortable platform for carry. I, for example like a .45. I carry a Taurus PT 145 everyday. It's small, compact and holds 10+1 and I shoot it well. You have to find what's best for you, but I will say that I think you should carry the biggest caliber you can shoot and carry comfortably. If it won't feel good on your side it will get left at home. Just my .02, Karl

My carry guns are a Glock 23 or 27 (.40)......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Personally, I prefer Glock. The 19 and 23 are a fantastic compromise of size and carry capacity in one of the most reliable handguns on the market today. If you want to go a little smaller size I would recommend the 26 (9mm 10+1 capacity) in a subcompact size.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The best advice is to try several at the range. There are many excellent brands and all have their strong points. Every current owner has their favorite, but the best for you is the one that you feel most comfortable with and will enjoy taking to the range as often as possible.

If you are looking at a SD or HD I recommend a 9mm at the least.

Personally I have an XD45 service and a XD9 Sub-compact. The 9 is my daily carry.

You can find a fine handgun in the price range you are considering. Just try them all and settle on the one that is best for YOU!

What's your primary intended use for this new handgun selection? Back country woods treking in Grizzly territory or quick trips to the Convenience Mart in a questionable part of town? General SD/HD or pocket carry? The S&W 29, G21 or 1911 require BIG pockets...while the .380 is marginal on Alaskan Brownies.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links