Tottally Sweet Tradin' Today

This is a discussion on Tottally Sweet Tradin' Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Happy for ya Euc!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tottally Sweet Tradin' Today

OD*
    Happy for ya Euc!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good trade, Euc!

Looks like a new practice technique is in order
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    EUC,

Congrats dude!!! I remember that excitement all too well. My buddy, who lives across the bridge in that free state called PA just picked up the XD-40, which is currently residing in my off campus residence because he can't have it on campus.

His is so new, it's never been fired, other then by the factory :)... at least not until 630 tomorrow night when it's going to meet some federal JHP ammo at the range.

agan, congrats dude!!! I'd love to pick up another HK USPc in .40 to match the one I already have, although I'll prolly own a pair of Sigs or XD's before a pair of the HK's :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Congrats. Sounds like you got a great deal kinda like my Sig deal last week. Happy shooting.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Senior Moderator
    Euc,
    Congrats! I just wish you could share your feelings with us and let us enjoy the excitement.

XDs are great guns. I sold my original HS2000 a couple weeks ago, but I still have a Tactical, a bitone, and a black XD. But mine are all 9mm.

The bitone has had the SA trigger work and breaks at about 4.5#, but there's really not that much wrong with the stock trigger. The trigger job just isn't worth the money and effort.

I'm glad to see you warming up to semis. I think you'll find there is additional comfort in those additional rounds in the gun.

Senior Moderator
    Euc,
    BTW, I believe somebody needs to change their avatar.

My revolvers still outnumber my semis by a wide margin. And I do carry a revolver daily so it's not like I'm a total poser.

The reason I've warmed up to the XD40 as a carry gun is that first of all, I couldn't find the revolver I was looking for. It did not exist at a reasonable price. I wanted a good carry gun, but I wanted it to be one I could drop in the mud, scratch, etc.

The other thing is, that although I do carry my 629 sometimes on the weekends with its N frame and 5" barrel, revolvers don't carry well when I have to conceal them and a full size revolver is just a lot of iron to carry. Obviously my 642 and Agent are exceptions to this, but these are also among my least favorite revolvers. I have an affinity for snubs but I much prefer the full size revolvers.

Semiautomatics do a much better job of being slim and compact. It's a slide versus a cylinder, and slides are thinner. For day to day use, the form factor of the XD40 wins out. Plus if I carried a revolver I'd be way too tempted to treat it like one of my prized toys. I don't want to treat my carry gun that way.

I have figured out there's what you like, and then there's what you need, and they're two different things.

DC Founder
    Congratulations! Proud owner I can tell. I, too, really like the XD-40 and could really find nothing negative to say about it when I had one. I traded it, but am pretty sure I will wind up with another one of these days. My youngest son, who shot mine quite a bit at the range, has also indicated that the XD-40 was his choice of carry gun when the time comes. It's a reliable gun that I feel good enough about putting in his hands to protect himself. Not much more of an endorsement I could make......
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Congrats...It will become more recognized as the advanced design it is. 1XD+1XD=2XD You've done your math.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator

Congrats Euclidean

Yep, I want to see you with a stereo shoulder rig for those Duo XDs.

I'm thinking about it halfway seriously. It'd be funny if nothing else. But I don't think realistically I could justify that.

Congrats

Having recently gotten an XD I can somewhat empathize with your glee. Since I know have three calibers in the house and have been working on SHTF and BOB bags (due to discussions on this forum) I have begun to wish for a more homogenous shooting environment. You give me hope....

Hehe. I do admit I might fancy a subcompact XD in the same caliber just because all the mags would work together.

I'm happy about it because I resigned myself to keep the Ruger unless I saw a good chance to trade it in on another XD but used XDs just don't come up a whole lot (let's try to imagine why...). I traded a good gun for a better one in all honesty.

I like being down to one service caliber and one kind of magazines, plus having my holsters get double versatility. I do think it'd be a good investment on my part to investigate who makes the best 9x19 conversion barrels for true SHTF preparation. I know the magazines are the same for all the XD service and tactical size, and the subcompacts will take the regular magazines they just won't be flush. I think to shoot 9x19 or .357 SIG all I'd need is a conversion barrel and just maybe tweak the magazines a tiny bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links