Options and Choices

This is a discussion on Options and Choices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started carrying 7 months ago when I got my first CCW. Over the last 7 months I have learned a whole lot about what ...

Thread: Options and Choices

VIP Member

Smile Options and Choices

I started carrying 7 months ago when I got my first CCW.

Over the last 7 months I have learned a whole lot about what works for me and what does not. And I have more to learn as well. I thought I knew a lot about firearms, having shot for fun for over 30 years. CCW really opened my eyes.

Over these past 7 months I have carried and practiced with a S&W 360 Sc, a Walther PPK/s, a Sig P232, and a S&W 360 M&P. I really like the J frames. The are easy to carry, dependable, and accurate enough. But they are just not that fun to practice with. So after many hours of range practice and daily carry, for now, I've decided to set aside the J frames.

My daily carry going forward is the Sig P232, with the Walther PPK/s as a backup. Some say the 380 is not enough gun. I won't agree or disagree, except to say I am very comfortable with the choice and it works well for my daily needs. I am not in high risk situations, and at the end of the day, I believe shot placement is everything. That is why I have choose to go with the P232. It is a consistant, reliable performer, accurate, carries well, and is fun to practice with.

Another plus is the 7+1 capacity, which gives me a little bit more than the 5 shot snubbie. It was tough love at first as the grips are not perfect, but I have learned to work with them. The Sig meets my requirements for reliablity, accuracty, light weight, and ease of concealment. I carry it in a Bianchi Pro IWB holster - this combination works well for me. In the summer, its in a simple Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

Its not all about the weapon, but the total experience, working with the clothing that I have, finding a holster & weapon combination that works well for me, etc. Its been a journey, and I am still on the road, but now feel that I have a little bit of experience under my belt, all is well.
    Last edited by ctr; March 23rd, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post

My daily carry going forward is the Sig P232, with the Walther PPK/s as a backup. Some say the 380 is not enough gun. I won't agree or disagree, except to say I am very comfortable with the choice and it works well for my daily needs. I am not in high risk situations, and at the end of the day, I believe shot placement is everything. That is why I have choose to go with the P232. It is a consistant, reliable performer, accurate, carries well, and is fun to practice with.
    I agree with everything you have said. Shot placement is everything. In the truck, I may have the G21, but on me is either a colt mustang .380 or a naa mini-revolver in .22 mag. They both wear and conceal well. They are quick to get to and use...and do well up close and personal.
    If I felt that I were going into a violent or hisk risk area, you can bet your boots the kahr TP45 is there.
    Congrats on your choice.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Its not all about the weapon, but the total experience, working with the clothing that I have, finding a holster & weapon combination that works well for me, etc. Its been a journey, and I am still on the road, but now feel that I have a little bit of experience under my belt, all is well.
    I figure that goes for most of us here. I'm always on the road seems like. LOL.

J frame airweights

I agree with you that J frame airweight snubby revolvers are very hard to shoot well. I have a S&W 642 .38 special which conceals easily, but it is not fun to shoot it at the range because of recoil, minimal sights and a 2 finger grip. And the 10 pound trigger pull on a 15 ounce gun makes it hard to hold steady while triggering a shot. I can see where you would have more confidence in the Sig .380 semiauto.

If the .380 caliber ever does begin to seem too small, you can consider some of the lightweight 9mm guns that have come onto the market, such as the Kahr P9 or Walther PPS. They are really no larger than the Sig but give you a more substantial caliber.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I had a S&W 642 j frame .38. Nice gun, but like you, I too went with a Walther PPK/S .380 for the same reasons. Corbon DPX will up the ante with the .380 for self defense.

VIP Member

Corbon DPX

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I had a S&W 642 j frame .38. Nice gun, but like you, I too went with a Walther PPK/S .380 for the same reasons. Corbon DPX will up the ante with the .380 for self defense.
    I'll have to give the Corbon DPX a try. I've been using Federal 90 gr Hydrashocks in the Sig and they feed reliably. In the PPK/s, its Remington Golden Sabre 102 gr rounds. The first 2 rounds are hollowpoints, and the remainder of the mag is ball ammo.

Anyone have any numbers on the Corbon DPX?

CTR..... try these ! Product Line Listing
    Buffalo Bore ammo
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    CTR..... try these ! Product Line Listing
    Buffalo Bore ammo
    Thanks artz, I'll look for them on my next trip to the store!

I have the Kahr CW9 same as the P9 only no polygonal barrel, and about $200 cheaper. Nice Gun!!!
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Links