Opinions on Taurus Millpro

This is a discussion on Opinions on Taurus Millpro within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never thought I would be interested in a Taurus, but am looking at the possibility of a Taurus MillPro M145 for concealed carry. Anybody have ...

Thread: Opinions on Taurus Millpro

Opinions on Taurus Millpro

Never thought I would be interested in a Taurus, but am looking at the possibility of a Taurus MillPro M145 for concealed carry.

Anybody have any experience with them or opinions?

Size and price are within my range, but how is the reliability and longivity? Like to shoot as much as I can afford. (Sometimes restricted on construction wages) 1,000 rounds per year in this one, thousands through my .22's.

Really respect and appreciate you guys opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've shot them before. I didn't get to do an extensive torture test or put 500 rounds through it or anything like that, but the dozens here and there were well fed and had decent accuracy.

They are nice little guns and top choices for those who want a manual safety but don't want to give up a lot of money.

Taurus has been making some FINE semi-autos recently and if I had any complaint it would be with their triggers.

I'm a little bit of a trigger snob and to me (though this is very personal) it is just a little long and spongy, though it isn't very "heavy."

I've liked the way they shot.

I also like the internal lock for times you want to render it useless without putting on a separate lock.

Don't know about Longevity as I've never known anyone who's actually shot them enough to "ware" them out yet (but that's a good thing).

Generally, the people I know who own them have had them for years and only put a couple hundred rounds through them.

But the great thing is that Taurus has a lifetime warranty so if anything happens, just send it back!

I have owned a PT140, and it was a worthy gun that I carried for 5 years. I hear that the MilPro's are great shootin'/handling arms and they are accurate.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    I owned a PT140. Several problems lead to me ditching it and getting a Springfield.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ........But the great thing is that Taurus has a lifetime warranty so if anything happens, just send it back!
    Lima -- has your shop actually had to send anything back to Taurus? Reason I ask is that it seems like in the last year or so, their customer service has become hit-or-miss at best, at least according to dealers I've talked with. Some are even hesitant to sell Taurus because if it does have to go back, you can be in for a loooooong wait for its return.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Lima -- has your shop actually had to send anything back to Taurus? Reason I ask is that it seems like in the last year or so, their customer service has become hit-or-miss at best, at least according to dealers I've talked with. Some are even hesitant to sell Taurus because if it does have to go back, you can be in for a loooooong wait for its return.

Hoss
    We've sent very pitly things back, like a gun that came to us with no front sight or a broken magazine here or there.

We may have sent back a few guns for repair here or there but we do get them back and I've never had to "deal" with customer service. We just put them in a box, send them back and in a couple weeks we get it back fixed or replaced. The most I have to do is call them to ask exactly where they want it shipped, and since I do most of the ordering and shipping of guns and parts for repairs I would know if I had to deal with poor customer service.

To be quite honest, Benelli gets on my nerves much more than Taurus.

I own and carry a 2nd generation DAO Mil Pro. I like the 10 + 1 .45 ACP pocket cannon...excellent personal defense weapon. Now...it is a short barrel, small frame weapon...and it does not like hard primer, cheap ammo...like Winchester White Box. It does like and I do carry 160 grain Corbon DPX all copper pills.

I own a mil pro 140. I have shot in the neigherbood of 1200 rounds with it and never had any problems. It has been a very accurate and durable pistol. The trigger pull is a bit long with little resistence then a very slight click then the final pull is very light and manageable. I have also shot a S&W sigma and I think the Taurus trigger is far supieror. That statement also applies to my friends G19
    Where all men think alike few men think at all

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My wife carries a PT111 Mil Pro and I have a PT138 Mil Pro for our soon to be 19 year old daughter. They definately aren't target pistols, but for concealed carry, they are fine. Both shoot whatever we feed them. And they conceal very well.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    We've sent very pitly things back, like a gun that came to us with no front sight or a broken magazine here or there.

We may have sent back a few guns for repair here or there but we do get them back and I've never had to "deal" with customer service. We just put them in a box, send them back and in a couple weeks we get it back fixed or replaced. The most I have to do is call them to ask exactly where they want it shipped, and since I do most of the ordering and shipping of guns and parts for repairs I would know if I had to deal with poor customer service.

To be quite honest, Benelli gets on my nerves much more than Taurus.
    Well, I'm glad to hear that. They have a couple of items that I've been interested in but quite frankly, I was a little leery of buying from them because of the horror stories I'd heard. Most revolved around the Thunderbolt rifle and the number of them going back and extremely long wait times for return.

Thanks,
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

My wife has a PT111 Mil Pro. The more I shoot it the more im starting to like it. The grip is smallish for me, and I dislike the straight eight sites, but it shoots really well, has never jammed or shown any issues. and conceals nicely. I also like the fact that for a smaller pistol, the barrel and slide are beefy. I will probably end up getting another for myself for summer carry, if im not carrying my Kimber 3 inch.

My short fat fingers prefer the smaller grip of the PT-111. It eats anything I have tried to feed it and never the first hiccup. I don't care for the straight 8 sights but it is more accurate than I am. Once I got used to the trigger I actually like it.

Links