Sig pro - shooting itself apart!

This is a discussion on Sig pro - shooting itself apart! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've wanted a Sig for a long time. They point for me better than any gun I've ever held, and they look pretty too. (Yeah, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig pro - shooting itself apart!

I've wanted a Sig for a long time. They point for me better than any gun I've ever held, and they look pretty too. (Yeah, I know.)
    So, I went to the gun shop, and started looking at some P220s, and then a Sig pro. The guy behind the counter steered me toward another one; a little more expensive than the one I first looked at, but he recommended it because:
    a) He said it was a good gun - it was (allegedly) his personal gun while he was with the local PD
    b) It had night sights (well, he didn't steer me toward it because of this, but he pointed it out and it was a selling point)
    c) It came with an extra mag (the other didn't)

So, after much deliberation, I purchased it. Hand-cycled rounds through it all weekend, been working in the leather on the holster, practicing my draw, mag changes. You know, the fun stuff you do with a new gun.
    Brought it to shoot today. Fired 4 mags (12 rounds ea.) through it. After each and every mag, the takedown lever had walked out, to the point where it locked the gun up until I dropped the mag and moved the slide to push it back in. Needless to say, this is not going to be my new carry gun.

I am...not quite appalled, but it's kind of close. I wondered about the takedown method when I first saw it, but I figured if Sig designed it that way, it can't be all bad. It looks like there's a spring that's supposed to keep tension on the takedown lever, so maybe that's loose. I don't know, I'm just upset.

I don't know if I should a) send it in for repair, b) take it back and get one of the other sig pros (I really like them, takedown lever aside) or c) take it back and get another sig, perhaps a 239/229

OK, I'm done ranting, thanks for listening.
    Last edited by BlackBear; March 24th, 2008 at 05:53 AM. Reason: changed my alternate choices - gun shop doesn't have 220 Compact
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

I had a sigpro sp2340 and loved that gun!! Never a single problem!!
    It had about 2K rounds thru it when it melted in my truck!!
    I loved they way it shot , almost didn't need sights.
    I don't know much about sig's CS , not many people need them from what I can tell. This will be my next Sig Talk about sexy!!!

Show Product Details
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I had a sigpro 2009 and it's one of the guns I regret selling. Mine had zero problems, never a FTF or anything, and had one of the best DA triggers I've seen on an 'out of the box' gun.

The problem you've experienced is not normal by any means. It would seem to me that the dealer has some responsibility here, but in any event Sig will make the gun right. They may even pay for the shipping charges to ship it to them.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sounds like you may well be the victim of a " home gunsmith" . Were it me i believe i would contact sig and see what it would take for their armorers to put the pistol right .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Sounds like you may well be the victim of a " home gunsmith" . Were it me i believe i would contact sig and see what it would take for their armorers to put the pistol right .
    +1 to that

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    If it were me, BlackBear, I would take it back to the gun shop owner and demand that he take care of it. (preferably by trading it out for a different SigPro and refunding the difference). If that was his duty gun, he should have known that it was faulty. Were the other Sigs used? Night sights or not, his gun should have been cheaper than any new Sig, period.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

The place I went was a large sporting goods store here in Maine (Kittery Trading Post). It's where I usually go, because they have several thousand used firearm in stock, and I've never had a problem with any gun I've had there before. The gentleman that sold it to me is the Assistant Manager of shooting sports. They have a 5-day no-question return policy, and a 30-day warranty on guarantee to fire, function, and perform as intended. Obviously, bringing it back isn't going to be an issue. I'm sure that getting it fixed wouldn't be an issue, either. My biggest things are that a) I'm an instant gratification person, and I would hate to have what's hopefully going to be my next carry gun out for several weeks. The other thing is in looking online at their inventory, they have several other sig pros in stock, some less expensive and with the same features. I'm going down there either way tomorrow morning, and it looks like I'll probably be trading it toward one of the other sig pros.

f it were me, BlackBear, I would take it back to the gun shop owner and demand that he take care of it. (preferably by trading it out for a different SigPro and refunding the difference).
    The problem i have with that over see to it that the pistol is fixed is that there is a good chance you are passing the problem on to the next poor fella . The shop may or may not send it in to be fixed , if they dont and just restock it ..... How do you feel about that gun being sold to someone who doesnt test it ( many firearms buyers dont , they just load them and put them in the nightstand drawer ) and depends on it to protect his family .

Not making a call on the right course of action , just throwing out some food for thought .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

So what your saying RR is that BB should go without protection for his family so that a dishonest dealer doesnt have to do their job, thus passing on a defective gun to the next guy who wont be able to protect his family. Compexing isnt it?

Nope firestarplus that is not what i am saying at all and frankly i dont see where you get that out of my posts . I know from reading the board that this sig is not the only gun BB has , in fact from his posts i intuit that he has a revolver suitable for ccw so it wouldn't make him " go without protection for his family" in any sense of the word . If you will re read my last post I indicated a preferance for getting the pistol fixed over simply returning it and pitched out a hypothetical scenerio to explain why I dont sell defective firearms . If i get burned bad enough that its unfixable well its stripped of springs , screws , bolts , barrels , ect.. whatever is good and the reciever is demilled with a oxy torch . I understand his anger and think its entirely justifiable . I further think that the dealer should take steps to remedy the situation (partial refund , loaner weapon while its out being fixed , or whatever both can get along with ). If BB simply returns it i wont think less of him, If he fixes it first i certainly will think more of him for having the ethics of not passing a problem on tho .

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    He most likely didn't seel you a faulty firearm on purpose. Take it back and polietly tell him your concerns. If he is a good businessman he will make it right.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Yup, you're absolutely right in that I have a Taurus 605 I carry daily, and have since December. I certainly don't feel undergunned, but speedstrip reloading under pressure is just less intuitive to me. That, added to the fact that the first time my fiancee shot my Taurus she turned to me and said "I want one." So it gave me the perfect excuse to buy the Sig I've always wanted.

I'm torn, because I don't want to pass the problem on. I have relatively good faith in this dealer - they're the largest dealer in Maine, and they have the largest selection of used guns in New England. Moderate turnover isn't even in it. I'm going to bring it in and try and talk to the guy who sold it to me, and see what they'll do. If I can get his assurances that he'll send it in to get repaired, then I'll probably trade it back in and get another. If not, I'll think about ordering a new TD lever - someone on the SIGforum said he knew of one who just replaced the TD lever (not even the spring) and never had a problem after.

There is something about fixing it (or getting it fixed - if it's a spring I need, I don't know how to take it apart) that offers its own rewards. On the other hand, I'd like to have it and have it now. So I don't know.

EDIT: SilenceDoGood: I have no concerns that he sold me a faulty gun on purpose. While he did tell me it was his personal gun, he didn't necessarily say no one else has owned it since then. I honestly don't think he intentionally sold me a lemon, because as I said above he's the Asst. Mgr. of this place, so he's not going anywhere soon. Plus I've had numerous dealing with this place, never got a bad (or at least faulty) gun before. You're right, though, I am going to bring it back and we'll see how this turns out.
    Last edited by BlackBear; March 24th, 2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: SilenceDoGood types faster than I do

There is something about fixing it (or getting it fixed - if it's a spring I need, I don't know how to take it apart) that offers its own rewards. On the other hand, I'd like to have it and have it now. So I don't know.
    Any and all help that i can give in that regard just drop a pm and ill be glad to do anything i can on coaching or finding the info to assist in doing a proper job .

If your not concerned on a trade it off in this condition that is fine by me and i hope your right with your faith in the dealer . Its just a personal thing with me that i will not pass a defense gun on if i know it has a problem and please dont take my posts to be anything other than my personal prejudice on the issue .

Sounds like he dumped his junk on you. This is not the norm for a Sig.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

There's a member here who works at KTP, hopefully he will chime in.

I have found them good to deal with. In a similar situation, they stripped parts from another used gun to "make right" a small issue I had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links