Does the M&P 45 w/ thumb safety replicate the 1911 thumb over safety shooting style?

Does the M&P 45 w/ thumb safety replicate the 1911 thumb over safety shooting style?

This is a discussion on Does the M&P 45 w/ thumb safety replicate the 1911 thumb over safety shooting style? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been training with the 1911 for awhile and I use the thumb over safety technique. I have started to look at the M&P ...

Thread: Does the M&P 45 w/ thumb safety replicate the 1911 thumb over safety shooting style?

I have been training with the 1911 for awhile and I use the thumb over safety technique. I have started to look at the M&P 45 with thumb safety and I would like to know if the grip technique that I use with my 1911 is close to what the M&P 45 uses.

Is it just as comfortable shooting thumb over safety with the M&P compared to a 1911?

To me it's close, but the M&P's safety seems to be a little higher and further back on the gun than on the 1911. With the 1911 it seems natural, and the M&P takes a little work to get comfortable with my grip covering the safety. I initially started shooting the gun without my thumb over the safety, but when I mistakenly activated the safety after one shot, I knew that wasn't going to work. It's a great shooter though!

Here's a picture that may help, though it would be best if you could feel them together.

Last edited by D-Man; March 24th, 2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added picture

Can you still get an M&P without a saftey? And do the ones that have them still have all the same internal saftey features, or is it a SA gun with the saftey?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I removed the thumb safety when I installed my LaserGrips. Some just cut off the right hand lever and leave the safety in place.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The safety IIRC from prototype is a bit further foreward than the 1911 , but its close enough that manual of arms is not affected tho if your anal like me you may feel the difference and whine a bit .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    Can you still get an M&P without a saftey? And do the ones that have them still have all the same internal saftey features, or is it a SA gun with the saftey?
    Yes, you can still get M&Ps without the safety. As it stands now, the only models with the thumb safety are the M&P45 variants, which can also be had without.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    To me it's close, but the M&P's safety seems to be a little higher and further back on the gun than on the 1911. With the 1911 it seems natural, and the M&P takes a little work to get comfortable with my grip covering the safety. I initially started shooting the gun without my thumb over the safety, but when I mistakenly activated the safety after one shot, I knew that wasn't going to work. It's a great shooter though!

Here's a picture that may help, though it would be best if you could feel them together.

Thanks, looks like I will instead be getting the CZ SP-01

There's an idea...make an aftermarket replacement thumb-safety for the M&P45 with a modified lever that exactly replicates the thumb-safety position of a modern 1911 (with extended ambi safety). I would go for one of those.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsored Links