S&W Revolvers

S&W Revolvers

This is a discussion on S&W Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I have been wanting a big frame revolver....for a while now. I have been looking at the R8 .357and the TR .45 acp. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Revolvers

S&W Revolvers

OK I have been wanting a big frame revolver....for a while now. I have been looking at the R8 .357and the TR .45 acp. I kinda wanna diff caliber (.41 mag, .44 spec., or 45 LC) but the R8 and TR are just so darn cool looking and are obviously no slouch in the caliber department. I am not usually one to like stuff because of looks. I am a Glock man by trade, but these just struck me. Has anyone shot one or handled one? Can anyone suggest some place to get a good deal on one besides gunbroker?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    OK I have been wanting a big frame revolver....for a while now. I have been looking at the R8 .357and the TR .45 acp. I kinda wanna diff caliber (.41 mag, .44 spec., or 45 LC) but the R8 and TR are just so darn cool looking and are obviously no slouch in the caliber department. I am not usually one to like stuff because of looks. I am a Glock man by trade, but these just struck me. Has anyone shot one or handled one? Can anyone suggest some place to get a good deal on one besides gunbroker?
    I believe you are referring to the 8 shot Model 327 and the Thunder Ranch Model 325. I wouldn't expect to find any bargain basement prices on either of these 2 revolvers.

Buds Gun Shop Usually has good prices.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

I love my .45acp in my 1911's, but if I were going to carry a large revolver, I'd choose a more potent round. Go for a .44 mag and shoot the lower power .44 specials for practice. Eight rounds of .357 Mag is impressive too! Then you could get by with cheaper .38 Special practice rounds.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I know not to expect a great deal of money saved on either one of these guns. On $1,000 guns every penny counts obviously. I have considered other guns. I kind of dont want a common caliber. I have been looking at the TR special .44 specials and the .45 LC. I want pull out my revolver at the range and nobody else have one. HEHE I just fell prey to the "paint it black and call it tactical" look I guess and how odd? different the lights mounted on the front look. Kinda silly, but guns are supposed to be a fun hobby, too.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I know not to expect a great deal of money saved on either one of these guns. On $1,000 guns every penny counts obviously. I have considered other guns. I kind of dont want a common caliber. I have been looking at the TR special .44 specials and the .45 LC. I want pull out my revolver at the range and nobody else have one. HEHE I just fell prey to the "paint it black and call it tactical" look I guess and how odd? different the lights mounted on the front look. Kinda silly, but guns are supposed to be a fun hobby, too.
    I on the other hand love the traditional look of a Smith And Wesson revolver. No light rails for me thank you.

The Thunder Ranch guns are superb guns, though I don't think much of the Model 325 45acp with the rail on it. Some similar guns are the S&W Mountain Guns, if you can find them, which came in, I believe 44sp, 44mag, 45LC and 45acp.

S&W also has its new Classic Line which includes almost every classic gun they have made; Model 21, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 1917. In other words all of what became their N frame guns and a fair number of J & K frames. The one gun I don't think is in this series is the Model 57 41mag.

Unless you're dead set on getting a S&W you might look around for large frame Dan Wessons, which came in the same calibers as the Smiths. Ruger Redhawks also have an excellent rep though have not been made in as many calibers as the S&Ws and DWs.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    If you like black guns you might want to check out S&W's Bounty Hunter in .44 mag. See them on GB in the 600 dollar range and it's a business looking revolver. Love the .44 and .357. Either one is an outstanding CCW cartridge. Have taken numerous deer with both and they never knew the difference when I did my part.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    If you like black guns you might want to check out S&W's Bounty Hunter in .44 mag. See them on GB in the 600 dollar range and it's a business looking revolver.
    Anyone in here have one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Anyone in here have one of those?
    I had one for a day or two. In wheelguns, I am more of a .45 ACP,.38/.357 guy. The "Bounty Hunter" revolver is a good N frame carry gun if you can get past the Bounty Hunter lettering on the barrel.

I traded it off as it would be yet one more caliber to reload. It's not a bad shooter. I saw it as a practice with .44 Spc and carry .44 mag type of setup.

I believe when new they came with a clip on mullet hair piece and stick on tattoos

Dave

I have a Ruger 44-Mag Blackhawk that I carry in a custom cross draw holster-belt rig from El Paso Saddlery.

The cross draw makes it easier to get in and out of the truck and it is partially covered when warring a vest.

It retails for $631 and can be found for under $500.

Airedale, I'm glad you mentioned the "Bounty Hunter" lettering on the barrel of the S&W Bounty Hunter. I was close to buying one of those until you mentioned that.
    The fact that you could load it up with .44 Specials for self defense intrigued me.

My TR M21 44 spl, rocks. It has had an action job done and it is slick as ice. When I bought it there was a S&W smith on hand to do trigger jobs for anyone who bought a revolver. Lucky for me it was in a lull and got him to do a few extra tweeks. The 44spl, is like shooting a .45 in an auto to me. The only thing I don't really like about it is the gold emblem on the side plate. I am still on the hunt for some good leather for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
    My TR M21 44 spl, rocks. .
    We generally like some pics.

Yeah I like the looks of the m21 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links