P7M8 questions.

P7M8 questions.

This is a discussion on P7M8 questions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a website that explains the date codes? I've found one the is date code IF, nickel finish with about 200 rounds through it ...

Thread: P7M8 questions.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

P7M8 questions.

Is there a website that explains the date codes? I've found one the is date code IF, nickel finish with about 200 rounds through it and includes one mag. What is it worth?

Thanks for any input.

Try HKPro or ParkCitiesTactical for starters.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Frame/Date Codes
    HK uses an alphabetic date code on all of their handguns. To determine what year your HK was manufactured, find the date code and match that up with the following matrix:

A B C D E F G H I K

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

For example - a date code of "KI" = 1998 and "ID" = 1983

The letter "J" is skipped on all HK firearms but may be present on magazines or other pieces.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Thanks very much for the input,

So I'm looking at a '96 manufacture date? If so, what is a good offer for a '96 P7M8 that is in 95% condition, nickel finish, one (maybe two) mag and nothing else original (box, docs, etc.) included? I don't want to chase this deal but I'm curious about owning P7M8.

An UF datecode means it was made in 1985. Given what you stated about its finish and condition, I estimate that $1000 would be a low offer, and $1500 would be high. Somewhere in the middle is fair.

Pics would help, but at "95%" the nickle won't add collector value (much less not having box & papers). If the mags are chrome body with nickle base pads, it was more likely to be nickle from the factory. More than a few folks had refinishing done, but don't have it stock HK.

A NIB P7M8 can still be found for around $1300. You shouldn't pay more for a used gun, unless that wear is more like something along the lines of polishing of the lightly textured finish at the corners; no knicks, dings, etc. Also, open it up, and feel the gas piston- the edges of the gas checks should feel sharpish, grabby on your fingers. If not, it has more than 200 rounds through it.

For what you describe, I wouldn't pay over $1000. If you pick it up, I have an owners' manual I'll send you, FOC.

PS. Dr. Lunde has the habit of posting the most vulgar pics of grossly extravant guns.. that he owns, no less! (: His pricing is FMV; I'm low, since I look at wanting 6-10 mags in addition to the gun, at +/-$50/ea, and for a user, I'm not hot for a particular finish unless its HC with paper from a known shop.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Unless you are big fan of nickel, I'd hold hold out for a nice blued one ...from what I've heard, the nickel on those isn't all that hearty and flaking is common....so if it's not a safe queen and you plan to carry and shoot it, that's something to consider...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Wasabi,
    To the best of my knowledge the only P7M8s that came in factory nickle were all KC dated (1992). Your code date IF is 1985 and is probably an aftermarket refinish. That isn't a bad thing, just not as valuable as an original factory, and rarer, nickle P7.
    Last edited by ripley16; March 26th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks for the great input everyone,

I still want a P7M8 but I think I'll wait until I can get one NIB or at least check it out in person.

Links