Colt .25 ???????

Colt .25 ???????

This is a discussion on Colt .25 ??????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at my local gun store today looking for a new pocket pistol. The store was extremely busy and I was in kind of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Colt .25 ???????

Was at my local gun store today looking for a new pocket pistol. The store was extremely busy and I was in kind of a rush so I didn't get a chance to talk to a clerk, but saw something that caught my eye. What I saw was an old beat-up Colt .25. The gun wasn't in pristine condition, but didn't look too bad considering its age. It was hammerless, had rubber grips with Colt on them, and looked to be stainless colored. They wanted $349 for it. My question is, What gun is this? What would a gun like this be worth, and it is worth buying to add to the collection? Are they hard to find? I know .25 isn't much of a defensive round, but it looked like a neat little fun gun to have and looked to be extremely easily concealable.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Senior Moderator
    There was the Colt Vest Pistol Model 1908

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Hey! That's my "Noisy Cricket"! (Watch "Men In Black") It's actually a fun little gun. It belonged to my Dad back in the day. He didn't shoot it much. I think I've shot it more since I've acquired it than he ever did.
    Now it's a range/gopher gun. When the gophers come up to you and pee on your leg when you're trying to shoot them, you know it's not all that accurate.
    As far as self-defense goes a) Nobody wants to get shot, even with the Noisy Cricket and b) Aim for a soft spot!
    By the way Pgrass...is that the box it's sitting on?
    Last edited by taggart; March 25th, 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Grammar!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Could also be a Colt Jr. chambered in .25ACP, but by the description I'm guessing that the previously mentioned gun is correct.

My dad has one in .22 short. (which failed to penetrate aluminum cans, might have been the ammo, anyway...)

Edit: This one has a hammer, so it's not the gun in question by the OP.
    Last edited by ellerblr; March 25th, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: corrections

Remember what Jeff Cooper said: "I advise you never to carry a .25. That is because if you carry it, you may be tempted to draw it in a time of trouble. If you draw it, you may be tempted to fire it. If you fire it, and hit someone, and he finds out about it, he is going to be angry..."

<g>
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Exclamation Watch Out !

You could put somebodies eye out with one of those!
    U.S. Army Veteran

pgrass has the right picture. Thats what it was. I wasn't considering carrying it for sd purposes, but thought it may be a nice little conversation piece to have and a little piece of history. After a bit of thought, i may go back and look at it, but that 350 they want for it seems a bit high upon reflection and that money can and will be spent on a nice little wheel gun. Thanks for the info all, I knew I could count on you all for help.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Before you go putting down a little 25, you may want to watch this NAA 25 Video.

North American Arms

ok, I know it's a NAA 25 not a normal 25 acp.

Senior Moderator
    The colt might have some collector's value

I am betting it is Nickel and not stainless, see if you can get the serial # and do a little research on it.

It might be a good deal if it is an early enough Colt and make a good investment
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    What would a gun like this be worth, and it is worth buying to add to the collection? Are they hard to find?
    It all depends on who the manufacturer was, Colt or is it one of the Astra contract pistols?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

This probably isn't much help, but this is the info from my GunTracker software. Values are from the 2004 edition of Blue Book Of Gun Values.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

TNS great video. I really enjoyed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    There was the Colt Vest Pistol Model 1908
    Cool - looks like the baby brother of my .380 Model 1908 Pocket Pistol!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Better examples of the Colt 1908 .25 "Vest Pocket" pistols are highly sought-after collectables. Prices may range all the way from $200.00 or so to well over $1000.00 depending on (as others have said) how low the serial number is, the condition of the blueing and of the gun itself, and what accessories accompany it.

Quite a coincidence that you should post this thread tonight, by the way. Only yesterday, one of my local shops received one of these little Colts into their used inventory. Price? $999.95.

It does have the original box, but that's all they say on the website, aside from listing the serial number, which dates it at 1918 - after the magazine disconnect was incorporated into the design at serial #141xxx in 1916. There aren't any photos of the gun posted, and the listing doesn't give any hint as to the condition. For $1000, it'd better be pristine.

As someone mentioned above, they made this gun in a nickel finish as well as blued.

I really love these little Colts because they have so much charm and mystique. For me, they embody the more "civilized" time of pre-war America.

So, buy it and post pictures! $350.00 ain't that much to give a piece of history a good home!

Mo
    It would have to be all original and in pretty good shape for me to pay $350. If you can make it to a large gun show (Tulsa in 2 weeks - woot!), then you can take your pick from dozens of them. If it hasn't been reblued and comes with a factory mag and box it may be a good deal.

I paid $350 for a Browning 25 ACP pocket auto in pristine condition, but it was about 40 years younger than your example. It's cherry though, and had the original zippered pouch and mag.

Anyway, I say all that because these little 25s are really collectible, and easy to collect. Do some research on it and you should be able to figure out pretty easily if your example is worth the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links