Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4inch in 357MAG?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4inch in 357MAG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sure can be fired that way. I carry mine as a duty piece, non concealed. Most days of the week. Trigger on these, like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4inch in 357MAG?

It sure can be fired that way.

I carry mine as a duty piece, non concealed. Most days of the week.
    Trigger on these, like SP-101 is never, well rarely, totally smooth and sweet out the box but it is usually reckoned that use and dry fire will make them better. If for carry then fitting lighter spring is not probably wise tho it does make trigger feel a bit better.
    My GP-100 trigger is heavy! When I shot 300 rds qualifying, it gave my trigger finger a heck of a workout. I'm going to send it to a local shop fore action polishing, lighter spring, etc. After send my 1911 in to the "bugs" worked out.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am not dead sure but I think the SP can be had with bobbed hammer from get go - it is then effectively D/A only.

Added to which, IMO any revo for carry will not see much SA work - all practice has to be DA. Only way to go.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'm not sure what you mean by that precisely as I would call it a double action revolver.

To me DA/SA is a self cocking gun which is double action on the very first shot and single action on all subsequent shots.

I also considered a DA/SA handgun to be one that can be shot in either DA or SA. I could be wrong though.

clipse

I think it has to be considered in context because a DA/SA autoloader and a DA/SA revolver would technically have a slightly different manual of arms in that unless we have a Mateba, our revolver isn't going to cock itself in subsequent shots.

I can see it either way. Because technically a pistol like I described could be fired single action on the first shot.

I've always just said a "double action revolver" to eliminate that ambiguity.

The only difference between a DA/SA auto and a DA/SA revolver is the fact that on the auto, the slide is doing what your thumb does on the revolver. Something has to cock the hammer. So, I don't see the the difference. But then again, I've played IT guy at work all day and my mind is shot anyway. (pun intended)

clipse

Quote Originally Posted by clipse
    The only difference between a DA/SA auto and a DA/SA revolver is the fact that on the auto, the slide is doing what your thumb does on the revolver. Something has to cock the hammer.
    clipse
    Correct, but it's not you personally that has to do the cocking. To me that's a dinstinction to be made.

If it's a DA/SA self loading pistol, the first shot will be DA and the subsequent shots will be SA with no adjustments on my part. For combat purposes, all shots but the first are DA.

To me that's quite different from the revolver where the first shot is DA and the subsequent shots will not be SA either without adjustments on part. For combat purposes, all shots are DA in all likelihood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links