Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4inch in 357MAG?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4inch in 357MAG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at a stainless steel one but do not know a lot about them. How well are they built? Overbuilt? Quality? Recoil? Good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone carry a Ruger GP100 4inch in 357MAG?

I was looking at a stainless steel one but do not know a lot about them.

How well are they built? Overbuilt? Quality? Recoil? Good for carry? Trigger?

Any info would be appreciated.

Assistant Administrator
    GP-100's are stainless by design.

A very robust and solid revo - which will take a lot of punishment. Can't really say over-built - just inherently strong. No side-plate on this gun - solid frame ... not that Smiths really suffer any frame weakness as such.

Recoil - well - pretty much as any 4" medium to large frame 357. The current Ruger grip offerings seem quite popular with a lot of folks - tho after market grips can make it feel even better.

As for carry - well, I have carried my M28-2 4" with no problem but of course concealment clothing will be a factor - whether adequate. As revo's go, this is maybe on the large side but if manageable a great piece to have along.

Trigger on these, like SP-101 is never, well rarely, totally smooth and sweet out the box but it is usually reckoned that use and dry fire will make them better. If for carry then fitting lighter spring is not probably wise tho it does make trigger feel a bit better.

Have you considered SP-101 - only a 5 shot but could be a better bet for revo carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree whole heartedly on the SP101 suggestion. I carry it daily and love the little guy. I don't think I would want to try and pack the GP100 concealed. That sounds kinda tough.

clipse

Ruger SP101

What is so special at the SP101. Why is it better? Never seen one before.

Assistant Administrator
    SP-101 is close to being a J frame Smith in size - there are three barrel lengths IIRC, the shortest is - hmmm - 1 7/8" is it. Then as mine the 2 1/4" and there is a 3" too.

So - smaller frame, smaller cylinder (5 shot) - reasonably compact but fairly heavy as solid stainless. That tho makes for better control IMO.

I carried mine for quite a long time before going to SIG.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If it isn't a physical challenge, I'd carry the GP, for the extra round. Not to mention that it would make a heck'uva good club, if you ran dry, and still had "problems" close in. :chairshot

I've had both. Great guns, either way, it just would depend on what you can comfortably accommodate.

FYI: I would go with the 3" SP. I had the 2.25", and something about that length just did not work for me, sighting-wise- it was a total belly-gun for me. I've since tried the 3", and was much happier (haven't bought one yet, though...... ) YMMV

GP 100 is a solid "woods gun" but I'd never consider it for CCW. Too big, too heavy and difficult to conceal. I'm with P95 here. The SP101 is an excellent carry pistol, rugged fixed sights, mine was smooth in the trigger out of the box. I gave this as a present to my daughter along with her CCW after she got married last year and then started working late at a mall store as manager. For such a small package the SP101 can handle full house magnum loads without any problem....ever. IOW, it won't "shoot loose."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ruger GP100

I am 6'4'' and go about 290 lbs. Should I have problems carrying a GP100 with a 4 inch barrel IWB?

I would like something with some heft to it. If it is too small or light, my hands do not seem to handle it well.

I think a big part of this is answering how you're going to carry it. If you can get away with a less restrictive carry methodology, the bigger gun might be easier. And if your body shape supports it, you might be able to get away with it.

I understand what you're going through. Carrying a full size revolver is a challenge.

This is a good gun you're considering and the SP101 is real nice too. I find both of them have a very nice feeling of heft. The SP101 may be the "J Frame" but to me it feels nice, heavy, and hand filling. All I can tell you is go someplace where you can pick them up before you buy either.

I love my SP101. Its is basically me "do-all" gun. Its considerably smaller than the GP100 and I believe it was designed specifically for CCW.

clipse

Any of the Ruger GP100 a SA/DA?

Are they only DA, or are they SA/DA?

the GP100 are generally SA/DA but some trade-ins are appearantly DA only

I'm not sure what you mean by that precisely as I would call it a double action revolver.

To me DA/SA is a self cocking gun which is double action on the very first shot and single action on all subsequent shots.

The action of the Ruger is like your typical double action revolver in that each shot can be fired double action (pull trigger) or you can manually cock the hammer for a single action shot. Regardless of how you fire it however, it always starts over with the hammer at rest in the double action position.

Now if you're asking if Ruger makes a double action only revolver (in other words, no manual cocking and the action is enclosed) I believe the answer is no. However if you notice the design of their hammer, it lends itself to being ground off smooth so you can convert one to double action only (or "hammerless") without a lot of fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by clipse
    the GP100 are generally SA/DA but some trade-ins are appearantly DA only
    A lot of the trade-in GP-100s I understand come from Canadian law enforcement. The external hammers have simply been ground off is my understanding, effectively making the gun DAO. I don't know that for sure however.

Ruger GP100

I meant to ask, can it be fired in a single action mode? That is, cock the hammer back manually, then pull the trigger.

Sorry for the confustion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links