Does anyone carry 19rnd Glock mags?

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry 19rnd Glock mags? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm finally just a few weeks away from picking up a Glock 19. I know that it will accept 15, 17, 19, & 33 round ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone carry 19rnd Glock mags?

I'm finally just a few weeks away from picking up a Glock 19. I know that it will accept 15, 17, 19, & 33 round magazines. I'll be using the 15 round magazine in the gun while carrying since that is what fits flush (obviously), but I'm thinking about using 17 or 19 round mags as my backups/spares. Anyone do this? Does anyone have a problem concealing two 17 or 19 round magazines?

Are there any reasons not to carry larger-than-'standard' magazines? I hope / assume I'm never going to need to fire one round, let alone 2-3 magazines full, but since I'm preparing for the unknown by carrying in the first place, I figure I may as well carry as many rounds as is practical to carry & conceal.

I don't want this to be a thread on "how much do you carry" or "how many rounds do you think you'll need" - I've read those threads & have my own opinions on the answers to both. I'm really interested in knowing if anyone has any problems actually concealing 17/19 round mags, or if there are any good reasons to not carry larger-than-15 round mags.

Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I carry a Glock 19 daily and all of my extra mags (one in glove box, one in off hand jacket pocket) are 17 rounders. I carry with a 15 rounder in the weapon but I see no reason not to have a couple of extra rounds on hand and it's no more expensive. I'd say this is one of the best things about carrying a Glock, besides cost and reliability. I've fired it many times with both sizes of magazine and never had a problem, plus that extended magazine makes the reload that much easier to seat in the weapon.
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

I think you will find that most of the +2 baseplates are less than ideal.

Carrying a 17rd backup mag makes perfect sense. 31 rd mags may be tough to justify unless ou live in Texas :-)

BTW, I carry a 23 (13rd) and my spare carry mags are 22 (15rd)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    I think you will find that most of the +2 baseplates are less than ideal.
    So are you saying that the 19 round 9mm mag is a "+2 baseplate"? Sorry for my ignorance, but what does that mean? Is a Glock 19 round mag really a modified 17 rounder? The fact that the 19 rounder is listed on Glock's site makes me think that isn't the case, but that's pretty much why I am asking the question - I'm new to this stuff & I really want to know if there are any drawbacks to the 19 rounders.

Thanks for the input so far - anybody got any more?
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

19 rounders are probably g17 17 round mags with a +2 extention on them. I would stick with factory baseplate and thus 15 or 17 rounds.

Correct. A "basic" 9mm magazine is 15rds (G19) or 17rds (G17). The 19rd magazine is a 17rd magazine with an extended floorplate. That essentially stretches the length of the mag tube to fit 19 rounds.

Glock offers these "+2" baseplates to add on, and some aftermarket companies do as well.

So has anyone here had any problems with 19 round magazines? If so, what were they?

No problems with my 17+2 Glock mags. I have three of them for the G17. Two of them are NDF, and the other drop-free. I've never carried them in the G17 when it goes with me. I have carried the G27 with G23 mags and the sleeve---one ten rounder, and one thirteen no problem.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry my G19 with the standard 15 rounders. I carry 16 rounds in the gun, and two spare mags. That to me is more than enough.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'd stay away from the +2 extensions, I had some (don't remember the brand) that didn't work worth s***. That mirrors reports I've heard from many others.

I personally have never had a problem using G17 mags in my 19. In fact, I only carry the 17's as my b/u mags since I carry either a 17 and a 19 and don't want to have to swap mags. I've never had any problems concealing them.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I carry my Glock 19 with a 15rd. mag with the Glock +2 extension on it. That gives me 17+1 rds. on tap. By the way the +2 designation ain't quite right, Glock had to extend the original +2 to make it able to accomodate +2 rds. of .40S&W/.357SIG and that actually made it able to take 3 rds. of 9mm. So you can have your backup mags with 18 or 20rds. available. I have three G19 mags with Glock +2 ext. on them and three G17 mags with Taylor freelance +5 rd. ext.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Personnally, I think 15+1 is enough. I don't carry any spare magazines with my 19, but I do carry a spare 10 round magazine with my 26 (10+1)
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Ditto for me too with my Glock 26. I wonder if some sleazy attorney would try and make an issue with the extended mags, especially the 30+rnd. ones, if you went to court over a defensive shooting. Paint you as some psycho looking to wipe out everyone who came across your path. Why take a chance and go through that hassle unless you were in a war zone. Yes, I know, some neighborhoods do qualify as a war zone with all the street gangs.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, I picked up a Glock 19 magazine for my Glock 26 today at the gun show for the same reason.

Sponsor
    Base plate +2's got a bad rap for a reason--initially. Glock has upgraded theirs for quite some time now and if you get their model 7151 +2 [ for the 9mm mags ], you'll NOT have a problem with them coming off and dropping their loads all over the ground.

I carry the +2's on many of the G17 mags and none have had any problems at all. If you don't keep glock +2's on your glocks, you take your chances.

Run their baseplates and you are good to go.

As to some aggressive DA/justice system taking issue with 30 rounders on your person, or being used in SD-----well, if I've gone to a second mag on my glock to begin with, it's protracted where I could not exfiltrate from the area.

If I couldn't get to hell out of dodge, then I'd certainly be able to make a good case for having the FORETHOUGHT to bring enough ammo to sustain myself until the boys in blue arrived.

"What? The boys in blue didn't get there within 3 minutes to take charge and save me from the BG's? Thats exactly why I carry the ammo I carry sir--thank god I did have it with me or I would have died"

"Any other questions about carrying what I apparently needed and having the forethought to have it. What, you think it's easy carrying around all that weight day in and day out and I enjoy the fact the world is a dangerous place and I have to worry about this to begin with?"

Some DA/prosecutor thats articulating your mindset would be a suggestive opinion at best and without substance. If your atty doesn't speak up immediately when it happened, you've made a mistake in your choice of counsel.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; April 14th, 2008 at 12:51 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links