Taurus 745?

Taurus 745?

This is a discussion on Taurus 745? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard that Taurus was having problems with their 745 model pistols, polymer cracking after a few hundred rounds, things like that. Anybody know if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 745?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Taurus 745?

I've heard that Taurus was having problems with their 745 model pistols, polymer cracking after a few hundred rounds, things like that.

Anybody know if this is true, and if so has it beed resolved?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

This is what I know first hand about Taurus pistols:

Some of them conceal very well, and they have long trigger pulls.

This is what I've heard second hand:

Early Taurus products were junkers and the frames would crack often. Then they bought Rossi and their workmanship has improved ever since. At some point, I believe the third generation of each model, they fixed this problem. The new Taurus pistols are okay and Jim Dandy.

I've also got it on good word that you should investigate each particular model as Taurus is very uneven in its QC, like Kel Tec. The Taurus model 85? Good gun. The PT111? First or second generation, it's a piece of junk, third or later and it's a good no nonsense gun.

Basically if it's new or a proven model, it's probably okay. But honestly so far I've never found a reason to get a Taurus. I'm not anti Taurus at all I've just never had one. The only time I'd get one is if they made something I wanted at a lower price, and they cost just as much as everything else usually. I admit they make a couple things I'd like to have like the 145, their new 1911 possibly and some of their unique revolver models like the 445.

My .38 J frame is a Rossi/Tarus. I carry it very often and with only about 500rds (many were +P) put through the gun. It shoots and holds up very well for a $200 gun.

Rossis are my favorite el cheapo gun, the new ones and the old ones both.

Mom has the 357 snubby loaded with hot +P 38 rounds.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Lead Moderator
    Had my PT 140 frame crack violently during a Kb. Taurus fixed it with a new frame , but never gave any reason as to the problem.

Lightbulb Taurus Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    I've heard that Taurus was having problems with their 745 model pistols, polymer cracking after a few hundred rounds, things like that.

Anybody know if this is true, and if so has it been resolved?
    Here is the story on Taurus, they are HQ's in my home of Miami, FL.

Waaaaaay back when there were two firearms factories owned by two international brands in South America. One was a Beretta factory and one a Smith and Wesson factory. Look at the early revolvers and semi-autos. See any similarities? They still make those too. I'm pretty sure that Chuck Norris on Walker Texas Ranger has a chrome example in later episodes. Lo and the time came that the national government took exception at the mega-$$$ each was reaping and sending out of the country and they went and nationalized those factories. Taurus was born.

For the first 10 or so years of production they were crappy on QC. But in the fullness of time, they got better, especially after they moved HQ to Miami and hired some serious folks with experience in the business. I have not heard much negative about them recently.

A friend of mine used to be their PR guy until he moved to greener pastures. Taurus used to hold a "RAMBLE" at Markham Park shooting range. They would invite other competitors to come and display wares and let the public (for a small range fee) actually put rounds down range to comparison shop. Local instructors ran the safety aspect (I was one such) and were allowed to shoot for free and a free lunch. Worth it for an afternoon of shooting different models from different companies. I got to fire the RAGING BULL 454 and 480. They turn out some nice guns these days. I'd like to get one of their snubbies in a 45 Colt, or maybe 44 sp.

But about six years ago, I had a M85 snubbie in 38sp. At a range of 15 FEET it shot a FOOT LOW. I got rid of it. But I think that was an exception, not the norm. I would tend to think that if this is a NEW model you're speaking of, they might still be working out the "BUGS" so to speak.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I checked on the Taurus board and they don't have any reports of cracking.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Thumbs up Taurus PT-145 Millinneum Pro

tanksoldier,

I held off buying a Taurus PT-145 for several years due to the same stories. My buddy had bought one of the 3rd Generation PT-145 Millinneum Pros. His has a small light rail and has the stainless slide. We put almost 1000 rounds through that gun over a weekend and had no problems.

Since then I have bought my own PT-145, but with a black slide,
    and am working on over 2500 rounds of starchy handloads and factory loads. No cracks yet and a great gun to shoot. At first the trigger pull was a little rough but has smoothed out and is really nice. Feels like my S&W Model 10 that has had a great trigger job.

I bought a small, but expensive light for the rail and it works great as my nightstand gun. It also serves as my BUG for my other 1911 style handguns. I can slide it into my front pocket or the cuff in my cowboy boots and it is almost invisible.

I would highly recommend it!!

I also have a Taurus stainless revolver in .41mag, 5 shot with a 4" ported barrel. It is the backup to my Ruger Redhawk that I use for whitetail hunting here in Texas. The big Ruger is scoped and has a 7 1/2" barrel and is great for hunting but for chasing down a wounded animal the little Taurus gets the nod.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Assistant Administrator
    M85 shooting a foot low - shucks Ex that musta been a bad 'un!

My old beat-up M85 is wife's purse gun and it still shoots Ok.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I always heard that Taurus bought the old S&W factory down in Brazil and they kept the same machines and most of the same workers. I have "known" some pretty good Taurus' and some not so good Taurus'. Mostly like any other weapon. I basically feel that you get what you pay for with a Taurus what with the warrenty and all. I have one,the 6.5" bbl Raging Bull (.454 Casull) in stainlass. It will outshoot most other weapons of like kind and the recoil is similar to a 300gr,.44 Mag load outta my Ruger SBH. After some 250 full power loads it's still tight and accurate. I feel that I got my moneys worth. I would buy another Taurus.---------

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    I always heard that Taurus bought the old S&W factory down in Brazil and they kept the same machines and most of the same workers.

I think it was Berettas factorys. Just look at the PT99. Looks just like a 92 .

Have a Taurus 85, no problems. I've just got the P140, so we'll see. I am considering the 745 and would like more feedback on that one.

I'd never buy one just because they're not any slimmer than that 10 round versions. There's no reason for that other than laziness in design.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

I held the 145 and 745 and while the 745 lacks some rounds, its slightly thinner grip is perfect for appendix carry under just a t-shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links