Fiber Optic or Standard... That is the question

This is a discussion on Fiber Optic or Standard... That is the question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about getting a S&W 340PD (the Scandium framed .357 Mag) for deep concealment and those days when I'm just not dressed to carry ...

View Poll Results: Fiber Optic or Standard?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fiber Optic

52 63.41%
  • Standard

30 36.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Optic or Standard... That is the question

Senior Moderator

Fiber Optic or Standard... That is the question

I'm thinking about getting a S&W 340PD (the Scandium framed .357 Mag) for deep concealment and those days when I'm just not dressed to carry a larger gun or those days I'd like to pocket carry.

But now it has come down to sights.

Should I get the fiber optic or the standard front sight version? They cost the same so that isn't an issue.

What would you choose and why?

2. Remove Ads

I use tru-glo on my handguns....

They remind me of the C-More on my old racegun. As I get older (46 on the 27th) these old eyes just can't focus on the black sights like I used to....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    At my age you need Fiber.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

While I am a fan of fiber optic sights, I've shot a couple hundred rounds through a 340pd with the standard ramp and I don't see a need for anything else. I'm sure the hi-viz sights are durable, but not as durable as the standard red ramp. I voted standard as it's inline with my KISS philosophy.

I have a 340 sc with standard sights they are a little hard to see. However I think they are a better option for pocker carry just more durable i guess. besides aiming with a j frame is a moot point anything within 10 yrds in a self defence situation is point shooting for me. Which is how I practice with the 340 I think I have become pretty good with it.
    On a side note I don't think the recoil is that bad. but I have heard horror stories from some people have you tried one? A 12oz .357 is the perfect deep concealment weapon for me. So I wish you luck and so you know I could not be happier with mine.

Can you mount fiber optics to work with the notch, no rear sight blade S&W 642 and still keep a good POI?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    At my age you need Fiber.
    At our age(s), (I'm assuming)...everything we touch or eat should have 'fiber'...

Stay armed...stay regular...stay safe!

I put night sights on my pistols...even during the day they are easier to see than just plain sight.
    On my 30-30...I have an optic fiber sight...much easier to see during the day...

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    I'd have to go with the standard ramp.

HiViz

Ramp sight

The FO is nice, but they break. That and it appears as that there's a slight ledge created by the FO. I'd stick with a ramped sight for pocket carry.

For the same price, I would go with the fiber. But that's just me. JD also had a good point though.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    On my SW442 I have the CT laser grips (LG 405). They are GREAT! Not only do they provide extra cushioning over the stock grips (padded backstrap) but you get the added benefit of a laser sight. You might want to give them a look.

I was never into them until I read an article about them, now I'm hooked! They use a simple watch type of battery. It's supposed to last several years.

Here's a cheap place to buy from. I got mine at a local gun show though. They are adjustable for elevation/windage.

Shooters Resource: LG405 SMITH & WESSON J-FRAME ROUND BUTT

My 642 doesn't have the famous red ramp front blade. The total black blade gets lost in the trough rear. I'll second the LaserGrips, they can be a real help!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have shot several S&W revolvers at my local range and the regular ramp sight works just fine for me. Plenty easy to see even in dim indoor lighting. I have used and liked Tru-Glo's fiber optics, but the HiViz I had on my Ruger P345 seemed kind of...cheap, and I am not sure it added all that much.

Standard sight for me, please.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I think standard is better than fiber optic because the standard sight is ramped and would not hang up or snag clothing when drawing from your pocket. Probably not a problem if you are holstering it.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My 642 doesn't have the famous red ramp front blade. The total black blade gets lost in the trough rear. I'll second the LaserGrips, they can be a real help!
    My SW442 came with the same sights as yours. Impossible to see them.

EDITED TO ADD: When I asked the guy at the guns how how far the laser grips point, he pointed it at the far wall of the place. It's Market Hall for the people near Dallas. It's a 214,000 sq ft building & his booth was probably 1/3 of the way down. We were able to see it immediately, it was very clear from that far away.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    At our age(s), (I'm assuming)...everything we touch or eat should have 'fiber'...
    Man, that's precious!!

-------------------

On a serious note:

FO sights give you a lot better sight picture. I'll assume this would be a great benefit even with the poor sights on these small J-frames.

I am told that the Dawson FO sights are a lot more sturdy, have more metal around them to protect them from breaking.

I would be concerned and need to test out the FO sights first to make sure it won't snag on a holster or pocket that you anticipate using.

All this said, my J-frame (642) has the CT LG-405 on it. I think it is a better solution for a "belly gun". I would not put laser sights on any other of my guns. I plan on putting the Dawson FOs on my Glocks and 1911 for starters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links