Very Discouraged with my glock

This is a discussion on Very Discouraged with my glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just am not nearly as accurate with it (glock 17) as I would like. I've put about 850 rounds through it now, and just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Discouraged with my glock

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Very Discouraged with my glock

I just am not nearly as accurate with it (glock 17) as I would like. I've put about 850 rounds through it now, and just can't seem to get any consistancey. I feel like if i took a basic shooting class i'd be a little better, but $$$$ is an issue. I started out at 3 yards and was shooting right on the money, and then I take a step back and the shots just go everywhere.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Practice dry firing until there is zero wrist movent during trigger pull.

Are you focusing on the front sight? 3, 5, 7, yards are too close to rely on the typical sight picture (align front and rear). You still apply the basics of stance and support at close range as you would longer ranges-even though one's tendency may be to relax a bit more at closer ranges beings they should be a piece of cake. Try triangulating your sights on target up close and focusing on the front. I wasn't accustomed to shooting at such close ranges until my CCW qualifications. I practice more often now at those ranges as well as what I'm used to. IMO, if you get rid of the Glock for something else, you'll likely have the same issues.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Well, here is some basics of marksmanship:

Sight alignment - Having your front sight post centered properly in your rear sights.

Sight picture - With sight alignment, having your front sight centered on your target. The target should be fuzzy, as should be the rear sights. Your focus should always, ALWAYS be on your front sight.

Natural point of aim - Find a comfortable position aimed at the target. Close your eyes and take a few relaxed breaths. Open your eyes and see where you are pointing. Adjust your position, namely your feet, to the target. Up/down, is just in the arms. Once you've found the most natural position in relation to the target, use it. It's hard to notice, but a lot of shooters actually twist their torso one way or the other while shooting. After fatigue begins, it's harder to keep on target. Fatigue comes fast while shooting.

Trigger control - Slow, steady squeeze. You should be surprised when the gun goes off. Pull slowly to the rear, while maintaining sight alignment/sight picture. If you're not surprised, focus only on your trigger pull until you actually surprise yourself. Then add the sight stuff.

Breath control - more for rifles, but applies for handguns, too. You want to breath slow and steady. There is a natural pause at the end of an exhale. This is prime time to take a shot. DO NOT hold your breath for more than 5 seconds or so, or you will begin to shake, you're human.

Follow through - After your shot, you should hold the trigger to the rear and allow the recoil to sort of dissipate. After you find yourself back on target, release the trigger then look up from the sights. If you elaborate this, it will help. Looking up too early will contribute to anticipation of the shot, and wanting to see the impact. If you have correct sight alignment/sight picture and good trigger control, when you are surprised by the boom, you'll know where the shot went.

Practice these methods and there will be others posted. For trigger control, you might want to balance a coin on top of your slide and make sure it stays there while you're pulling your trigger. Not so hard with a Glock, but if you need it, you need it. Also adjust how much finger you put on your trigger. Try moving it in and out. Judge only the results, not how it feels. It will likely be awkward when you find a good position.

With what you said about being all over the target, that is usually caused by not focusing on the front sight. This is crucial for marksmanship. It's hard to learn for some (it was for me, and still can be). You must focus on the front sight.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I have an "engineer mindset" about things like this; I try to just isolate the variables until I figure out which one is causing the problem. Probably a good approach for this particular issue.

Trigger squeeze technique, grip, and stance are probably the first things I'd check out.

Try some different kinds of ammo and see if that changes your results at all.

Check out some of the "troubleshooting targets" (search this site) for input.

How does your grip on the pistol feel? If you have big-ish hands, consider a grip sleeve like this: Glock Parts - Grips - Glock Accessories

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

yes relaxing is the key , just sitting with your sights on a target and not dry firing 15 minuets a day works wonders too ...
    and you thought this would be easy ....

Front sight, trigger press...that's really all there is to it. Just relax, don't "make" the gun fire. Try some "ball & dummy" drills (dummy rounds randomly placed in magazine) to determine if/when/how you're flinching.

I HIGHLY recommend this DVD, it will get you squared-away. It definatley reinforced some things for me. (be sure to watch the trailer and read the reviews).
    Shooting Missology
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Is there anywhere I can find Missology less expensive?? 40 bucks is a few days at the range.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Come on Matt...burn some copies. I'll take one! $10 each, you could make some cash!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator

Try Buying a GripMaster. Build up your hand and finger strength.
    It will be the best few dollars you've ever spent.
    About $10 or $12 bucks on Ebay.
    Building up your hand and finger strength will allow your trigger finger to better operate completely independently of your hand.

Buy a MEDIUM. (Red) Use it long and hard every few days for at least a month or two.
    Carry it with you. Take it to work. Use it often during the day.
    No pain No gain.
    Work that gun hand grip.
    Hold those buttons all the way in for as long as you can possibly stand it.
    Do not use it every single day (because your hand gets torn down and then needs to rebuild) so stop using it a couple of days before you go shooting.

You'll be amazed at the improved results.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Is there anywhere I can find Missology less expensive?? 40 bucks is a few days at the range.
    YouTube - Shooting Missology Trailer

You bring up something here I haven't thought about until now---'group buys'. Several forums I am on do this. It's where someone from the site admin or otherwise, solicits samples, or contacts vendors for possible discounts on items related to the general forum's interest in the possibilities of obtaining group discounts on the purchase of said items.

glocks have never fit my hand very well,but a lot of people shoot great w/them. try letting someone that is a very good shot use it and see what they say.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Well, here is some basics of marksmanship:

Sight alignment - Having your front sight post centered properly in your rear sights.

Sight picture - With sight alignment, having your front sight centered on your target. The target should be fuzzy, as should be the rear sights. Your focus should always, ALWAYS be on your front sight.

Natural point of aim - Find a comfortable position aimed at the target. Close your eyes and take a few relaxed breaths. Open your eyes and see where you are pointing. Adjust your position, namely your feet, to the target. Up/down, is just in the arms. Once you've found the most natural position in relation to the target, use it. It's hard to notice, but a lot of shooters actually twist their torso one way or the other while shooting. After fatigue begins, it's harder to keep on target. Fatigue comes fast while shooting.

Trigger control - Slow, steady squeeze. You should be surprised when the gun goes off. Pull slowly to the rear, while maintaining sight alignment/sight picture. If you're not surprised, focus only on your trigger pull until you actually surprise yourself. Then add the sight stuff.

Breath control - more for rifles, but applies for handguns, too. You want to breath slow and steady. There is a natural pause at the end of an exhale. This is prime time to take a shot. DO NOT hold your breath for more than 5 seconds or so, or you will begin to shake, you're human.

Follow through - After your shot, you should hold the trigger to the rear and allow the recoil to sort of dissipate. After you find yourself back on target, release the trigger then look up from the sights. If you elaborate this, it will help. Looking up too early will contribute to anticipation of the shot, and wanting to see the impact. If you have correct sight alignment/sight picture and good trigger control, when you are surprised by the boom, you'll know where the shot went.

Practice these methods and there will be others posted. For trigger control, you might want to balance a coin on top of your slide and make sure it stays there while you're pulling your trigger. Not so hard with a Glock, but if you need it, you need it. Also adjust how much finger you put on your trigger. Try moving it in and out. Judge only the results, not how it feels. It will likely be awkward when you find a good position.

With what you said about being all over the target, that is usually caused by not focusing on the front sight. This is crucial for marksmanship. It's hard to learn for some (it was for me, and still can be). You must focus on the front sight.

Nate

This may help
    Attached Files
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by inman View Post
    This may help

These also may help.
    Attached Files
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Administrator
    Above is all pretty good advice. I just wanted to add that starting as close as 3 yds was a mistake too. Start at 7-10 yds get comfortable there, then move back in 3 yd steps until you get to 20-25 yds. Once you master that, then take care of the close work... and dont use you sights for the close stuff. You dont need them, and they will screw up all the practice you have done in the further distances.

Also dont shoot at a traditional bullseye just yet. Get a large piece of blank paper, use a marker to make a single dot at center mass. This helps with your front sight focus.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links