The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, I figured derringers were their own category because of the whole two barrel thing. Nope, not lucky enough to carry concealed out here, but ...

Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Like Tree477Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

Yeah, I figured derringers were their own category because of the whole two barrel thing.

Nope, not lucky enough to carry concealed out here, but back in my native Ohio I get to whenever I go home. I would never live here voluntarily, although for a week of vacation it would be a nice place. I do get to carry a M16A4 around out here though, which when we do humps and stuff a column of 800 guys with all weapons organic to an infantry battalion marching down the road draws some looks.

Back to snubbies, for anyone shooting one in .357 how the heck does anyone control a J frame in .357 with the stock grips? My Rossi is fine with its stock grips, but my whole hand fits them nice, I can control it much better than my 638 in rapid firing.

Also, do all .357 snubbies have one heck of a "back blast" for lack of a better term? Like a pressure wave that goes back and to the sides and almost feels like gettin popped in the nose? Because mine does, and its appreciable.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I have a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel in .357 magnum and I have not noticed this when I fired it. Maybe someone who owns a S&W J frame .357 snubby could better answer that one for you.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Aight, enjoy. And let your lady friend get dessert, Lump needs it.
    Lump had Sopapias (is that how you even spell it) for dessert.

I didn't get to carry the snubbie because SOMEONE decided to hog it tonight!

Oh well, soon.

I can't really claim it I guess. It is more "our" gun than it is "my" gun, but I think I'll be getting the most use out of it in the next couple of months.

It does have a very nice trigger and nice sight though!

Sponsor
    This might be better placed elswhere(caliber debate), but as the end item is a snubbie, I thought I'd start here.

Took the wife out shopping for her EDC today. We settled on the Ruger SP101. Now I (we) just need to decide on a caliber. I have heard good things about .327 but might want to consider .32HR mag. Any input on the difference in feel on this small revolver?
    I am not a big wheel gun fan... I don't have any specific issues with them, it's just that I was weened on 1911s and P1s.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    We settled on the Ruger SP101. Now I (we) just need to decide on a caliber. I have heard good things about .327 but might want to consider .32HR mag. Any input on the difference in feel on this small revolver?
    The .327 revolver will also chamber .32 H&R (and .32S&W and .32S&W long). I am a little surprised that Ruger still offers the 3" sp101 in .32 H&R now that the 3" .327 is out.

This could grow into another thread.

My 9-year old 642 I never carried much:

My new Galco pocket holster that'll finally let me carry the 9-year old 642 more regularly:

Rossi M885:

Detective Special:

Are they snubs, or are they not? You decide:

65:

66:

GP100:

Speed Six... in 9mm:

Administrator
    Impressive TX! I like the speed six myself.

This might be better placed elswhere(caliber debate), but as the end item is a snubbie, I thought I'd start here.

Took the wife out shopping for her EDC today. We settled on the Ruger SP101. Now I (we) just need to decide on a caliber. I have heard good things about .327 but might want to consider .32HR mag. Any input on the difference in feel on this small revolver?
    I am not a big wheel gun fan... I don't have any specific issues with them, it's just that I was weened on 1911s and P1s.
    I'd stick with the tried and true .357. You can get 38spec or 357 anywhere, try that with the 327.
    helderberg likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto is absolutely right on the money. I cannot find a single box of .327 Federal magnum cartridges anywhere in my neck of the woods. If any does come into the local gunshops it usually gone by noon of that day.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    I'd stick with the tried and true .357. You can get 38spec or 357 anywhere, try that with the 327.
    This was also a concern of mine.
    Could .380 be safely fired from the .357 cylinder.
    I am really just concerned that the .38spec might be to snappy for her. She handles a full size 1911 in .45 fairly well but hates my M&P40c.
    I have to assume (I know!) that a revolver is going to transfer a lot more recoil to the shooter than an auto loader. T/F?

Sorry to take this off topic, but she really wants the snubbie SP101 and I want her to want to shoot it. Unfortunately, I do not know anybody who owns one to borrow.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

JD
    Administrator

OK, here's the pics...

*Edited to add: I had a request for some close ups of the bobbed hammer, with the hammer cocked. Firearm IS unloaded:

You can also see that we changed the grips on the 360.

This was also a concern of mine.
    Could .380 be safely fired from the .357 cylinder.
    I am really just concerned that the .38spec might be to snappy for her. She handles a full size 1911 in .45 fairly well but hates my M&P40c.
    I have to assume (I know!) that a revolver is going to transfer a lot more recoil to the shooter than an auto loader. T/F?

Sorry to take this off topic, but she really wants the snubbie SP101 and I want her to want to shoot it. Unfortunately, I do not know anybody who owns one to borrow.
    I think you mean to ask if a .38 can be safely fired from a .357 - answer is yes. Lots of folks shoot .38 spl in .357 magnum revolvers. The SP101 is steel frame and will probably be relatively docile with .38 spl - but there's only one way to find out how she likes it - shoot one.

Nice snubbies all.

Here's what followed my wife and me home this weekend

Bought a SW 642 for myself and a SW 638 for my wife this weekend. The collection just keeps getting bigger. SOOOOOOOOOO many guns, so little time.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Bought a SW 642 for myself and a SW 638 for my wife this weekend. The collection just keeps getting bigger. SOOOOOOOOOO many guns, so little time.
    Just wondering why you guys chose different models?
    "Just blame Sixto"

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    Nice snubbies all.

Here's what followed my wife and me home this weekend

Hey! That's what I have; a 642 and a 442.

Just put Pachmayr rubber grips on both and it made a big difference in shooting comfort and control.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Links